Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Star Trek VI: The Unanswered Questions

First off, I really like STVI... but it leaves a couple huge questions wide open.

1. What happened to Kronos? In STVI:TUC they said it would be un-inhabitable in 50 years because of the destruction of Praxis. However it's still the Klingon homeworld in TNG and DS9. Do they ever tell us what the peace treaty brings about that solves this problem?

2. What about that prototype Bird of Prey which could fire when cloaked? Surely they could have made more, but in the TNG and DS9 era, mostly DS9 as that involved fighting Klingons, BoPs had to decloak to fire. You'd think after 100 years they could not only make BoPs which could fire when cloaked, but remain shielded when cloaked as well. And I don't believe the "weakness" Kirk exploited is any weakness at all... surely any ship has a heat signature. For that matter, in the cold vacuum of space, they could merely search for heat signatures to detect cloaked ships. What about that?

I'm not sure.

I think the Federation probably helped the Klingons protect Qonos from contamination, as part of the new Khitomer peace accords/alliance.

Also, it's possible that the architect of the BoP Chang commanded, died with the ship. Or more likely, Chang had him/her killed so no one else could have a ship with such an advantage.

:(

The cease of production/development of Klingon ships that could fire under cloak could possibly have been one of the tenets of the Kittimer Accords (I know I butchered that spelling!) Perhaps they were allowed to use technology already commonly used, but could not further cloaking technology beyond its current use.

As far as Kronos becoming uninhabitable, I always assumed that once the Klingons and the Federation were no longer at war or hostile to each other, the Klingons would have a lot more time and resource to devote to saving Kronos. Since they weren't going to need such a focus on their military anymore, you know.

That's always what I thought.

The Khitomer Accord didn't allow for Star Fleet to develop cloaking technology (something they never should have agreed to), so I suppose it is entirely possible that it ceased the development of Klingon cloaking technology at the stage it was.

The cloak that Star Fleet developed (illegally), well members of Star Fleet anyway, was more of a phase shifting technology and would have been lethal to enemies. Imagine being able to send an explosive into the middle of a planet with this technology and then detonataing it. The destruction would be insurmountable

The Khitomer Accord didn't allow for Star Fleet to develop cloaking technology (something they never should have agreed to), so I suppose it is entirely possible that it ceased the development of Klingon cloaking technology at the stage it was.

The cloak that Star Fleet developed (illegally), well members of Star Fleet anyway, was more of a phase shifting technology and would have been lethal to enemies. Imagine being able to send an explosive into the middle of a planet with this technology and then detonataing it. The destruction would be insurmountable

That's the Treaty of Algeron with the Romulans you're thinking of, not the Khiitomer Accord.

I know, slip of the mind, had Khitomer on the brain.

(Shhh, don't tell anyone I made that slip).