Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Siddig Credits Star Trek With Making Him a Friendly Face

Star Trek helps everyone except those who oppose it. Alexander sucked, everyone knows it, and Oliver Stone is a loser. Look at all the people who love that fact that they were on Trek and how popular they are.

Star Trek helps everyone except those who oppose it. Alexander sucked, everyone knows it, and Oliver Stone is a loser. Look at all the people who love that fact that they were on Trek and how popular they are.

:( No Way did Sid "suck" ever! When the series first started, I was expecting the whole thing to suck, having been a Trek watcher since the sixties. But Bashir was the character that kept me glued to the screen and kept me coming back for more. His was a character with potential for growth--- who saw the whole thing as the adventure the audience wanted to believe it was. He was almost in the same seat as the viewer---you could personally experience all the adventure through Bashir's character. And as he passed through adventure after adventure, the whole character of Bashir matured---It was more realistic that way. I go back and watch the first episodes of DS9 and, yes, I wince a little---but never for Sid's acting. Rather, I wince for the very believable naivete and innocence and total "cluelessness" that Sid so believably instilled into Julian, the very qualities that made Julian so lovable to so many of Sid's fans and, yes, so loathed by some viewers during the first season of the show as Sid himself has said. I could feel Julian's confusion and embarrassment as the rookie on the station as if I were that character! That's good acting, not bad acting. To help the viewer to identify with the character and to feel what he/she feels (sometimes even against the viewer's will!)--that's the whole point of acting---to draw the viewer inside the story itself till they feel the real world drop away and begin to feel they are truly present where the action is. Of course, this is only my opinion, but, I believe it is a well-informed opinion as I've been involved with the theatre for most of my life. I absolutely respect everybody else's opinions even when I don't agree. I realize they may be seeing or feeling something I'm not picking up in my viewing experience. Love to all, Siddigfan

:blush :blush 2: A hundred-million apologies!!!!! I thought you were referring to "Alexander" Siddig. My little obsessive nerves went berserk as I have, like, the galaxy's biggest crush!! :( Plus, I am new at this Internet stuff. (At 45, I'm just learning and could use a lot of advice--Head injuries and disabilities have kept me from keeping up with my peers in the computer respect but I'm trying to catch up!) Je suis si desolee ( I'm trashing myself!) Thank you so much for your understanding and for explaining what "Alexander "you were discussing. So---what DO you think of Sid's acting in DS9? I'm hypercurious, now.

Love to all, Siddigfan

No worries :(. I think he's awesome. He did a great job as Bashir. Without him, DS9 would never be the way it is now.

I'm SOOOOO happy all is forgivin LOL I too love his charature he really had the zest for life. Good to see him back on the big screen or little screen lol.

Brian

O.k., my question is why didn't Dr. Bashir grow a beard on DS9? Siddig is smokin' hot with that facial hair he's sporting for Syriana! Who knew he was that good looking?

I can't wait to see Syriana ... I'm so proud of our little Star Trek alumnus. In a round about way, this could be good for the franchise. A lot of face time on the big screen in a major movie like this could generate interest in what Siddig did before (ahem ... DS9).

The episode on DS9 where I thought he did exceptionally well was the two parter "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light." When you go back and watch those episodes knowing what you know now, he's amazing.

I'm just glad that ol' Sid has not forgotten the uber-important "dance with the one that brung ya!"

And for the record, Oliver Stone is a complete pinko (fill in the blanks). I've hated just about everything he's ever done and if his name is attached to something, I just won't see it. A highly overrated Hollywood persona, if you ask me.

Dear Seatrooper--you are a doll! Thanks so much for making me feel okay about my mistake! And dear Gul Nodrog (Nodroq?)-- I agree! Isn't Sid so hot in a beard?? I started a new topic about Sid and Nana and I asked there wouldn't it be so awesome to see an older and wiser Dr. Bashir (with the beard!) in a DS9 movie? Is it absolutely impossible with all that's happening (see the topic about bad news for Star Trek) that we will ever get to see a DS9 Movie (sob! :dontgetit: say it isn't so!) Put our gang on the big screen please!!!Love to all (This site has opened up a whole new world for me where I can talk to friends about what I'm really excited about. That means an awful lot to me. Thanks for being here! Siddigfan