Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Your thoughts on the Enterprise-E...

I've always liked the Enterprise-E. Though I grew accustomed to the shape of the Enterprise-D, being a longtime TNG fan, and thought it looked better than the original and the Enterprise-A (skip the court-martial, please), and despite the very real possibility that the Enterprise-E is based more on the -A than the -D, I've always been in awe of the -E.

But on repeat viewings of the TNG-based movies (well, the last three, anyway), I've begun to look at the -E differently. It doesn't seem "real"; it almost seems fake in some way. Like they made the baddest ship they could design for brilliant exterior shots, but all the interior shots are like "visual technobabble" to me. In TNG, with the -D, I got the impression that it was a very real and functional ship, that everything had its place, and that if I were aboard, I'd be able to find my way around, and if not run it, at least know where things are to a certain extent. I do realize both - all, in fact - ships are just a bunch of sets on a stage, but still, the -E doesn't quite feel as real as much as it was designed to look good.

Also, it doesn't seem right that Picard and his crew now run this new Sovereign-class ship. Aside from the issue that Paramount wanted something cooler to awe audiences with, I think realistically they should have been given another Galaxy-class. We saw in DS9 that they had plenty of Galaxy-class ships... maybe there were 3 on the screen at one time, two at least.

I'm really mixed on the Ent-E. It's easily the most pleasing-to-look-at ship in any Star Trek movie or series (in my opinion). The Enterprise NX-01 comes close (why does a ship in Starfleet's past look cooler than most of the modern ones?) but the Ent-E takes it. But there's also something unfamiliar about it. Did TOS fans ever feel this way about the refitted 1701 or the 1701-A?

I am only aware of enterprise D- i've never heard of the otherrds *trying to typee with apppple in hand*

@ Dark Reality

I'm a huge fan of the Enterprise-E, she's a beauty. :angry: Seriously, I've never been much into the Galaxy Class anyway, (I don't like the huge Saucer Section and it's a little too "bright" inside *lol*) I love the dark design of the Enterprise-E and I just think she fits perfectly into space.

It's hard to explain why I love her so much, it's just that everything... fits.

We haven't seen that much of the Enterprise-E, but that's simply because she was introduced in the movies and not in the series. If the Enterprise-D had been destroyed during the TNG series, we'd have seen much more of the Enterprise-E - I would have loved that, of course, but it's not necessary for me, I fell in love with that ship the very moment I saw it. :P

If I didn't find my way around on the Enterprise-E, I'd ask the computer to tell me where to go to - or I'd ask the captain for a tour of the ship. ;) :P

I don't think that they should have been given another Galaxy Class starship, though, but that's just me since I'm not much into the Enterprise-D.

Oh and I know many TOS fans who'll tell you that there's only one 'true' Enterprise for them: The 1701 from the series. ;)

hopefully the next movie that Pat is hinting on (not mrs picard)

Will include alot more cool shots of it.

Now that they've fully mastered awesome CG, we're gonna be blown away!

Oh, I too fell in love with the -E when I first saw it. I just wish we'd see more, like you've said.

I can't stand the original Enterprise from the series, but then, I'm spoiled on CG and advanced model-building techniques. I didn't really like the A, B, or C, either.

Part of me hopes they don't do another TNG Trek movie... Maybe if they mixed in DS9/Voyager crew, it would freshen things up, but it just seems played out. What I'd like to see Patrick Stewart do, is play a character in the Harry Potter film series. After all, he's English, and the film is limited to English actors per Rowling's request. He SHOULD be in a Potter film. It would instantly be my favorite... Patrick Stewart's such a great actor, but I don't think he can do any more with the Picard character. Just my opinion...

It's okay, I guess. For some reason it has never looked "right" to me, as a Starfleet vessel.

I prefer the "D" and was angry that the "D" was destroyed before she got the chance to have more than a single movie to her credit. Afterall, the "D" was as much a part of TNG's 7-year run as any of the actors, and blowing her up just to market a new ship (and make $$$$ from the fan base) really ticked me off. And still does.

I accept the "E". But I'm a long way from liking her.

And I kind of liked the D's brightly lit corridors and wide-open feel. E is too dark and claustrophobic.

I like The Enterprise-E from FC did take a bit getting use to but then I like the Whole Enterprise Lineage (see "Favorite Ships" post) I just think that it's the Evolutionary next step in Starship Design in the Enterprise Line starting with the NX-O1-Enterprise-E

:( ^_^ :( :)

Upon reading the novel,'The Return' (by shatner) it mentions the Enterprise E was specially created to deal with the Borg- as they have been growing more menacing. Book mentions the ship has some drawbacks, as cramped quarters in exchange for the more firepower, more structural integrity for battles.

...I don't know if this had any relevance with Hollywoods' decision to make a new starship.