Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Special/Director Editions

I have all ten Star Trek movies, and I took note when the Directors Edition of the first film came out... Then, with almost no notice (to me anyway), there are special editions or directors editions of all of them.

What's the difference? Do they add anything? I mean, to the movie. New scenes and whatnot. Or do they just have extras (the regular DVDs are very light on extras, if they have any, for DVDs)?

I have all ten Star Trek movies, and I took note when the Directors Edition of the first film came out... Then, with almost no notice (to me anyway), there are special editions or directors editions of all of them.

What's the difference? Do they add anything? I mean, to the movie. New scenes and whatnot. Or do they just have extras (the regular DVDs are very light on extras, if they have any, for DVDs)?

A Director's Edition will be different from the theatrical release as it involves the director re-editing the movie by adding deleted scenes or extending existing scenes or making other changes to the film while a Special Edition is the same as the theatrical release and is more about special features that have been added on the DVDs.

Edited by Takara_Soong

So, some are in fact just special editions?

Are any of the Directors Editions a big deal? Surely it's not as drastic as when Lucas remade the Star Wars movies - once in 1997 and again in 2004 for the DVD release.

I'd love to see most of them extended, but not sure I'd buy them... the originals are great enough as it is. But at the same time, I'd like to watch them and see what I can spot.

OK, it only looks like the first two exist as Directors Editions: ST1:TMP ST2:TWOK.

For reference, the links to the others (all Special Collectors Editions or Special Editions) ST3:TSFS ST4:TVH ST5:TFF ST6:TUC ST7:Gen ST8:FC ST9:Ins ST10:Nem (All Amazon.com links. No, I'm not a member of their affiliate program, they're just a good reference for information and user reviews on movies, music, and books... I have bought from them, but hundreds if not thousands more times I've just browsed the site for the info. :angry: )

I did not read all of them, but I did read that ST6:TUC had two scenes added, though it also said that the VHS version (but not first DVD edition?) was similarily extended, so I'm not sure that "counts".

Here are some links to st.com that will answer your questions:

The Making of "The Director's Edition": Unused Footage

The Making of "The Director's Edition": Re-Refitting the Enterprise

The Making of "The Director's Edition": Temp Animatics

V'Ger Revealed: "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" from the Original to the Director's Edition

They didn't have articles like this for ST:WOK at st.com but I did find this information at a website called DVD Journal:

What makes this a "Director's Edition"? This version is the extended cut similar (but not identical) to the version that aired on ABC-TV several years ago. Only a few minutes' worth of new footage is noticeable, and while none of it changes any fundamentals, it's good to have the facts about Scotty's nephew back again, and some scenes are extended in ways that add to their content in appreciable ways. Further, the truly devoted Khan aficionado will notice a number of scenes that have always been there but are now present as different takes — subtle differences in line delivery or blocking or camera angles will keep hardcore groupies leaning forward on the sofa. On the commentary track, Meyer states that this is his preferred final cut of the film.
Edited by Takara_Soong