Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

How cool would it be to BE a Vulcan?

I seem to remember Tuvok once telling someone (Kes? Seven?) that, with time, a non-Vulcan could essentially become a Vulcan, in every sense but biologically. That is, they could suppress their emotions, follow the teachings of logic... I don't know about the telepathy part of it, though.

Tuvok was my favorite character on Voayger, and after watching the "Kirk" movies, I'd have to say Spock is my favorite overall Trek character. Tuvok is cool, but he's no Spock.

As for being Vulcan... Well, I do tend to think logically, most of the time. I am passionate on some things, including with my girlfriend, but in all those things, there's a level of restraint about me that's almost Vulcan. I wouldn't put it past (or blame) my girlfriend if she were to start calling me Mr. Spock.

Thoughts?

When I was younger and suffering the pains of a broken heart I once thought Vulcans were lucky...but, Vulcans are fictional for one thing and it wouldn't be healthy for humans to supress their emotions for another. If emotions exist it is because they serve an evolutionary purpose - like keeping us alive. A person with no emotion is unhealthy mentally and probably physically as well.

On a more practical note - emotion is what makes life worth living - no excitement, no joy, no humor, no love - what would be the point?

The fact that Vulcans live longer. It would give me more time to make up for my mistakes in life.

Ah, but with no emotions - would you care that you had made mistakes? :angry:

Or, from a shamelessly pessimistic point of view - another hundred years of opportunitie to make more :P

No matter what you still feel emotion you just don't express it. I for one would luv to be a Vulcan. Then maybe I wouldn't lose my temper at school. Got close to getting in two fights this year because of my temper.

Vulcans do have emotions. They just supress their emotions from being expressed.

I think they've changed the explanation of Vulcan physiology over the course of the five series because I remember McCoy saying something about it killing Spock if he experienced emotion.

You don't have to be a Vulcan to learn to control your anger - in fact after ENT it seems like it is more a cultural choice than a physiological trait. So if you really wanted to become a Vulcan in that respect you could. However, I do believe it would be extremely risky for your health to do so.

I wouldn't want to be a Vulcan.

They seem too rigid and cold. Give me good old flawed human emotions and lack of emotional control anyday.

Vulcans have emotions but they are taught from the cradle to supress them. If it were not so, then Sarek suggesting that his "logic is uncertain when it comes to my son" would not have made sense in response to T'Lar's suggetion that what he asked for wasn't logical. (The rite of Fal Tor Pan hadn't been used in centuries and the desired results were therefore uncertain.)

It is the Discipline of Logic to which Vulcans subscribe. Forcing Spock to display emotions involuntarily was a danger, as expressed by McCoy in "Plato's Stepchildren". Anytime you force a person to do something against their will, depending on the severity and nature of the act, is detrimental. I was surprised to learn that it could kill Spock, but , considering how difficult Spock it just to admit to feelings at all, it isn't outside the realm of possibilities. It could also have been a unique condition to Spock, being half-human, who knows? I do know that such continuity in the later series was lacking on some of these points.

In "Amok Time" we learn that a Vulcan male has his Logic stripped from him during the Pon farr, something undesireable in their culture. It is the price they pay, according to T'Pau, for their supression of emotions the rest of the time.

Also, Spock informs us in "The Naked Time" that it must have been difficult for his human mother living in a society where the display of emotion was considered "in poor taste".

Vulcans feel emotion, they are just judicious as to how, when and if they will display what they are feeling.

Would I like to be that disciplined? No. For a time in my life I no longer was touched by sentimentality. I didn't cry at movies that once would touch my heart. It was awful --- I didn't like myself that way. I prefer to allow myself to feel, but I do try to control my temper, even so, lol. I believe in balance.

T'Bree

^_^ I know if I was a Vulcan I would have enough self discipline to loose weight, exercise, grow back my hair. all very logical and I would be so cute!! :(

Well, to answer the first reply, I am very much in love (and my first love, so I'm sure some of you know how that is) but I still feel an attraction to the Vulcan way of life. Tuvok loved his wife and his children, he did have the emotions, but he simply didn't let it interfere with his life and his duties. I thought it was very inspiring how he could detach himself from being separated from them, as there is nothing he could do about that, but do his best to ensure that they all get home alive.

Being that I haven't watched the original series, Tuvok is really the Vulcan that I know. Spock is my favorite Vulcan, but only from the movies. I would watch TOS just for Spock (and McCoy), but I haven't got them, nor do I have high-speed Internet, so I'll have to hold off on that goal for now.

I do have some of the emotional detachment of a Vulcan. I don't get emotional at movies, and I've never cried over the loss of a family member. It's not that I don't care, and it's not that I'm not saddened by their loss, it's just that I'm not prone to emotional outbursts. I just wish I had the rigid logic and honesty of a Vulcan. I'm not dishonest, but I have been known to stretch the truth, or omit things... Granted, Spock's able to do this as well, but to be able to state the exact truth without thinking of how people will "take it"... I don't think that's a bad thing.

Heh... if I were a Vulcan, I'd have the discipline to excercise and lose weight too!

I wouldn't want to be a Vulcan.

They seem too rigid and cold. Give me good old flawed human emotions and lack of emotional control anyday.

I agree. Plus most of them are pretty prejudice against anyone who isn't Vulcan.

I could not be Vulcan. I am VERY emotional person, plus going through all those rituals, it owuld drive me crazy lol.

To put it simplely... my dad asked me two days ago when I'm going to get my ears. With all the stuff I've been through I have become a rock in emotions. I do desplay them once in a while, but most of the time they are locked up. It makes me think easier.

To put it simplely... my dad asked me two days ago when I'm going to get my ears. With all the stuff I've been through I have become a rock in emotions. I do desplay them once in a while, but most of the time they are locked up. It makes me think easier.

These are the kind of guys that often end up climbing a tower with a machine gun.....

The fact that Vulcans live longer.

And an indoor cat is an animal with a broken spirit, looking out on a world it will never enjoy, but it does technicly live longer.

These are the kind of guys that often end up climbing a tower with a machine gun.....

Don't worry Kor, I suspect his aim isn't that good.

Vulcan's choose to live that way, they consider it a way to enhance their spirt without human emotion. The sex thing even at my age if I thought it would be seven more years before I got any I would be hopping crazy mad too!~!! :) :wub: