Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Alien Spotlight

Created by ANDREA IZZOTTI

KHOMS

coms.jpg

YANGS

yangs.jpg

We don't know really much about the umanoid inhabitants of the planet called Omega IV. There are two populations in fight : they are called the KHOMS and the YANGS. We only know that the Khoms live more than 400 years. The captain of the Starship Exeter thought to have found a planet of eternal youth, but the scientific investigation demonstrate that the long life of the Khoms depends of their particular physic construction. The planet also demonstrate that the theory of alternate earth is true: this alternate Earth has the U.S. flag, some American documents, and a book with a picture of Satan.

054_05.jpg

Referring Episode: The Omega Glory

This episode would have been better if they had not added the US and China elements. It would have been better if the show featured a similar situation to the communist/captilist controversy of the 60s. I also think the premise of the episode was not very open minded because the Yangs (Yankees) were portrayed to be more just or deserving to win than the others. My final complaint is that the instance of a culture being so similar to ours right down to the Declaration of independence is not that believable.

I agree somewhat with Admiral Kirk.But,I mean,come on its just a sci-fi show!I loved that episode and had no problem with the show's american-bias or the cold war elements(china Vs USA).I agree its wrong to say western civilization is superior to far eastern civilization.But that isn't what was said.What was said was that communism was inferior to democracy.And not many folks would disagree with that analysis,particularly people who have lived under communism.Ultimately this was a good episode(not great,not terrible),with an interesting storyline.

This episode would have been better if they had not added the US and China elements.  It would have been better if the show featured a similar situation to the communist/captilist controversy of the 60s.  I also think the premise of the episode was not very open minded  because the Yangs (Yankees)  were portrayed to be more just or deserving to win than the others.  My final complaint is that the instance of a culture being so similar to ours right down to the Declaration of independence is not that believable.

Remember, hindsight is always 20/20. We have over 30 years of history and change under our belts. It's not politically correct to think the west is the best any more. I would be interested to hear some comments from someone who actually lived under communism who later saw this episode

I think its believable that there could be a world out there that is just like our Earth under one condidion... that the universe is infinate. But lets say there was another earth out there in that infinite universe... what would be the chances that we'd stumble upon it so easily. Still, an interesting episode.

The Kohms were not supposed to be like the Chinese specifically, just vaguely asiatic since it had to include the Soviet Union as well. Remember also that the Yangs were fighting to gain their land back. The Kohms were the invaders.

In the non-canon of course Shatnovel ''Preserver'', the premise is that the title race was responsible for creating a world that was very much like Earth-that being, the one in ''Miri'', not of course this particular ep, but, from a fanfic point of view, at least mine, who's to say that said species could not have conducted an experiment in social engineering, at least, if the timeline fits for the ep, in the centuries past, and took elements from both the East and West during that era, and resettled them on another world to see how it might end up playing out there. I know, maybe it sounds like a lame idea. Spock had mentioned before Hodgkins Law of Parallel Planetary Development, so this is another example in the ep.

After a while these kinds of plots got rather cliche. We watch the episode and in the last few minutes realise "I get it now. They're just like us. Same as last week."

Agreed, lots of shows have used that kind of plot, after awhile you get tired of political correctness

It was a fun ep to watch. We get to see Spock use mental telepathy again ( I think the first time was in 'A Taste of Armageddon'). Plus the ideas of liberty and freedom are universal. Neat way to convey that message imo.