Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Patrick Stewart to Trek Again?

From SFX magazine

(online edition)

30 Nov 2005 9:09am

Ian Berriman

It looks as though Jean-Luc Picard may return to the big screen, but not for a while...

Today SFX was at the press launch for Patrick Stewart's new TV series Eleventh Hour, which airs on ITV in January - and was surprised by a guest appearance by the star himself (so surprised we didn't have a dictaphone handy - curses!).

As well as chatting about X-Men 3 (he was very defensive about new director Brett Ratner), he also discussed the possibility of a return to his most famous role, Jean-Luc Picard.

Following the box office failure of Nemesis, Stewart's been saying he believed the franchise was dead in the water for ages, but it seems there's been a turnaround, because he revealed there've been lots of serious meetings lately about a new film, and there are money men who want it to happen.

However, he also made it clear that he's signed up to working with the Royal Shakespeare company for the next 16 months, so even if another Next Gen film did get greenlit, he wouldn't be able to start filming it until after that.

If this is true, I'm ecstatic but only if Brent Spiner is also involved. I couldn't watch the TNG crew without Data.

I don't know how Data could come back, but I would like a new movie if Frakes directs it.

I don't know how Data could come back, but I would like a new movie if Frakes directs it.

There are a number of ways. Some suggested he could have been beamed to a cloaked Romulan ship before the Scimitar exploded, some (like me) prefer a scenario where Q saves Data as repayment for Data saving him in Deja Q (giving Data the ability to feel for 15 seconds isn't enough payment in my opinion), some talk about B4 turning into Data (which IMO can't happen so they better not try it) and I'm sure there could be plenty of other ways to bring him back plausibly. As Brent Spiner said, Spock was dead once and he came back.

some (like me) prefer a scenario where Q saves Data as repayment for Data saving him in Deja Q (giving Data the ability to feel for 15 seconds isn't enough payment in my opinion).

I really do like that, but it seems too quick.

About the article, if its true, its outstanding news.

some (like me) prefer a scenario where Q saves Data as repayment for Data saving him in Deja Q (giving Data the ability to feel for 15 seconds isn't enough payment in my opinion).

I really do like that, but it seems too quick.

About the article, if its true, its outstanding news.

I actually like that idea of involving Q. John De Lancie, who I probably just butchered his name (apologies) should be included since he was an important part of the TNG series.

I hope its true as well but they need a real director. Frakes would be the kiss of death.

Well, he'd be a cut above Baird, at least Frakes knows Trek.

But I'd say do with Nick Mayer, LeVar Burton or Allan Kroeker.

I hope its true as well but they need a real director. Frakes would be the kiss of death.

I agree that Frakes might be slightly better than Baird. Nick Meyer would be fantastic. Nimoy would also do a great job if they could coax him out of retirement. I don't know Allan Kroeker.

I agree that Frakes might be slightly better than Baird. Nick Meyer would be fantastic. Nimoy would also do a great job if they could coax him out of retirement. I don't know Allan Kroeker.

Kroeker has directed a bunch of Trek episodes (36), typically important ones (the finales of DS9, VGR and ENT included).

Here's his Memory Alpha page

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Allan_Kroeker

I can't see Nimoy coming out of retirement, he wouldn't come back to guest star in 'Boston Legal' with Shatner so I doubt he'd do it for anything. I think I'd be quite happy with Levar Burton taking the reins, he's done a great job with directing some episodes and has always been heavily involved in the franchise.

I'd love to see Patrick Stewart coming back for another movie, wouldn't be the same without him, although I may have to pop over the water to see him with the RSC.

As regards to Data's return: I like the Q idea but only becuase it would mean Q being in the movie which I would love, John De Lancie (yes ussacclaim you spelt his name correctly) has always been enjoyable in Trek. I think though that if they were to bring Data back it would be through B4, he was essentially an empty vessel until they found him, with a few hidden commands, but he was filled with all of Data's memories and Picards smile at the end of the movie does indicate that Data wasn't truly lost and will survive through B4.

I think that Patrick Stewart and the whole TNG gang has had their fair share of screen time. Besides that, Nemisis was the best ending the TNG movies could ever have hoped for. I think another series should get a chance (DS9 perhaps?). But, if there were another TNG film, I would like B4 to be in it, and John De Lancie. However, data should be dead. Any attempt by the writers to bring him back would be met by skepticism by most of the viewing audience.

I can't see Nimoy coming out of retirement, he wouldn't come back to guest star in 'Boston Legal' with Shatner so I doubt he'd do it for anything. I think I'd be quite happy with Levar Burton taking the reins, he's done a great job with directing some episodes and has always been heavily involved in the franchise.

I'd love to see Patrick Stewart coming back for another movie, wouldn't be the same without him, although I may have to pop over the water to see him with the RSC.

As regards to Data's return: I like the Q idea but only becuase it would mean Q being in the movie which I would love, John De Lancie (yes ussacclaim you spelt his name correctly) has always been enjoyable in Trek. I think though that if they were to bring Data back it would be through B4, he was essentially an empty vessel until they found him, with a few hidden commands, but he was filled with all of Data's memories and Picards smile at the end of the movie does indicate that Data wasn't truly lost and will survive through B4.

I agree with your comments regarding Leonard Nimoy.

As for Data/B4, I am so strongly against the B4 turns into Data notion. It's impossible! Yes, B4 has Data's memories BUT he also has memories of his own, including memories OF Data. The argument I use regarding B4 is best explained by Archer to Sim in the Enterprise episode Similitude. B4 cannot become Data for the same reason Sim could not become Trip.

I can also remember reading interviews Brent Spiner has done where he has said he doesn't like the idea "B4 becomes Data" either.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I have to agree that B4 can't become Data since he is his own person. B4 maybe less develop than Data, but not less important than Data as a person. I would love to see if they could bring Data back. Maybe from Q or he might have kidnapped at the very last second by the Romulans. Nem was a bad movie that should have been directed by someone else.

Edited by Takara_Soong

some (like me) prefer a scenario where Q saves Data as repayment for Data saving him in Deja Q (giving Data the ability to feel for 15 seconds isn't enough payment in my opinion

That one sounds the most plausible.

I just wonder how long Picard can realistically command a ship.

Isn't he close to 80-years old in the 2380's?

Even with advanced medical care and the benefits of (I'm assuming) healthier 24th century living, 80 is old.

I am just wondering if in the 2390's, we'll see a 95-year old captain "Hopping Galaxies" as Bones McCoy put it.

:laugh:

I just wonder how long Picard can realistically command a ship.

Isn't he close to 80-years old in the 2380's?

Even with advanced medical care and the benefits of (I'm assuming) healthier 24th century living, 80 is old.

I am just wondering if in the 2390's, we'll see a 95-year old captain "Hopping Galaxies" as Bones McCoy put it.

:laugh:

Picard was born in 2305 while Nemesis is set in 2379 so that makes Picard 74. In Generations Picard said to Riker that he had recently been reminded that he had fewer years ahead of him than behind. A statement like that seems to imply Picard is nearing the end of middle age. So if 65 is considered nearing the end of middle age, he has lots of years ahead of him. Basically as long as he's physically and mentally capable there should be no problems with Picard being in command.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Besides, by the 24th century, I'm sure that they would have invented something better than having to wear Depends................. :laugh:

Data was one of my favorite TNG characters, but I don't think they should bring him back. He had a good ending, and if they wanted to save him, they should have thrown a little hint in there to indicate that he WAS coming back. Such as with Spock; in TWOK just before he sacrificed himself, he touched McCoy and said "Remember". At the time the audience didn't understand, but it was something.

I don't like the idea of Q or the Romulans sneaking him back - that just sounds like a stretch. The only way I can think of doing it, is if they found another android like Data - was Lore ever destroyed? - and erased its memories, and copied over exactly what was transferred from Data to B4. In modern computer terms, let's say they transferred to B4 a single file, like a BIN, ISO, ZIP/RAR, etc. B4 has his own memories, etc., in the form of other files, but rather than "unpacking" Data's, he leaves it as a singular archive which he can access. This all doesn't need to be explained to an audience, but it could explain how the same file could be transferred to another android, and unpacked - the android awakens thinking he IS Data. We also have something like that today - Acronis TrueImage. I can make an "Image" of my C drive, erase it, and then restore that image - it's like I've never touched it. Or I could restore it on a second computer, and aside from Windows detecting all kinds of new hardware, I'd have the same Windows installation and everything set up just the same.

I really like Patrick Stewart as an actor, but I don't think TNG should have another film. True, they only had 4 to TOS's 6 or 6.2 (if you want to count Generations), but TOS ended its run in Generations; TNG in Nemesis. In my opinion, the best option for a new film would involve a new Starfleet crew consisting of TNG, DS9, and Voyager people on the Enterprise-E or Deep Space Nine. Also in my opinion, an ENT film would be a mistake.

More comments from Patrick Stewart were reported at TrekWeb.com:

Stewart also told UK's Teletext that plans are afoot to make another TNG feature film for the big screen, as revealed this week by SFX Magazine.

Despite plans at Paramount for a TREK prequel movie featuring an all-new cast - currently titled STAR TREK: THE BEGINNING, Stewart said "About four months ago at a meeting in Los Angeles the subject was raised quite seriously from a very interesting point of view. I have been saying for four years now that it's over. No fantasies about it coming back, the space suits have been hung up for good".

"But there are weighty people in Hollywood who are very interested in one more run around the holodeck. There are serious plans".

"I was told this may happen two or three years down the road, by which time I'll be able to sit again in the captain's chair, but then again, it's not all that far away and if I'm in good shape I'd love to do it."

Edited by Takara_Soong

This is getting more and more interesting all the time. I wonder how stuff like this could have taken place and we didn't know about it until now.

If it's well done, it will be the salvation of this franchise.

Levar Burton would be an excellent choice to direct.

There are so many things they could do, so many stories to continue. And having Q in the movie ... well that is something that I have been saying since "Generations." Q should have been in the Nexxus, not Guinan. But that is another topic.

Q bringing Data back from the dead is a nice, easy and potentially thought-provoking way of doing it. And I agree with whoever said they wouldn't go see a TNG movie without Brent Spiner as DATA not the lobotomized version we have in B4.

what is ITV - I'm still trying to figure out the miniseries "Eleventh Hour". Is it something that will air in the US?

I have mixed feelings about a TNG movie - the show was excellent but I think a movie with selected cast members from the various series would be better. It just stretches credulity within the ST universe that all the crew of any ship would all be in the same place 15 years later. And as much as I miss Data, yeah they have to be very careful not to make it tacky. I think the secret beam out would be the best but it reminds me of something from the SGA season one audio commentaries. Fans were trying to think of a way a character may have escaped a similar death including a secret beam out. The producer was pretty matter of fact - "nope, he's dead" - because they felt the death of a major character makes a drama more realistic. And they are right - Data coming back would be more fairy tale - the remaing crew mourning his loss would be something we could relate to. (given that all of this is a fictional environment anyway :angry: )

I still think that Data's disembodied head is still floating around space just waiting to be found and to be attached to B4's body................................ :angry:

Singer Considers Trek Movie

I put this on another post if singer does Dir you know patrick would do the movie and maybe the rest would follow. With a number of new people that want to see trek to go on I'm all for it.

Brian

I'm probably going against the flow here but I'd not be overly excited about another TNG film, nor would I like to see a "mixed cast" movie. To me that would just be a gimmick, an attempt to milk Trek fans of all of the various series.

The only movie ideas that would get me excited would be a DS9 movie or an Enterprise movie that deals with the Romulan war and the formation of the Federation and included a very large role for Shran.

Short of those two things I don't know that I'd go to the movies to see it.

GREAT!!

TNG is the only realistic way to go. For me the only other option would be an Enterprise movie as I don't think the other shows could make it on the big screen.

If we did (fingers crossed) get a new TNG film then I would like to see it move away from being an all out action film, like Nemesis, and be a bit more thoughtful like Star Trek 4. Something more character driven with a bit of adventure in between.

There are a number of ways. Some suggested he could have been beamed to a cloaked Romulan ship before the Scimitar exploded, some (like me) prefer a scenario where Q saves Data as repayment for Data saving him in Deja Q (giving Data the ability to feel for 15 seconds isn't enough payment in my opinion), some talk about B4 turning into Data (which IMO can't happen so they better not try it) and I'm sure there could be plenty of other ways to bring him back plausibly. As Brent Spiner said, Spock was dead once and he came back.

Well.. she summed up that part.

I have to also echo Takara's sentiment about needing Data to be a part of the film. And like I have kinda mentioned since I became a member here, I have been saying he could be brought back and looking human too if age has become a factor. Geez, his mother did not look like a 20 or 30 something. She is an android with an ageing program, similar to her son's

Regarding Juliana - (and no like I keep saying over and over and feel like I am not even being paid attention to, contrary to some popular belief there is NO canon evidence of her android body dying... her human form did, prior to the memory transfer to the android. So Juliana is alive.... sorry for the topic hijacking little mini rant. Just tired of reading that anytime we get discussing Soong type androids.)

Back to my regular post... He could come back and appear to be a man in his mid 40's (though Spiner is in his mid 50's. Data at his death was only 41.) Even appearing human, he would still be my favorite.. if he remains with any of his remnant android looks, his eyes still could be gold. And he could always have his hair still be dark brown/black

Even appearing human, he would still be my favorite.. if he remains with any of his remnant android looks, his eyes still could be gold. And he could always have his hair still be dark brown/black

But the real question is..........should he or shouldn't he keep the beer gut?..... :(