Sign in to follow this  
youbroughtheryouRiker

2006 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Inductees

Sabbath, Sex Pistols on Rock's Rolls

11/28/2005 6:39 PM, E! Online

Josh Grossberg

After repeatedly being dissed by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Ozzy Osbourne famously demanded that Black Sabbath be removed from consideration for the "totally irrelevant" institution.

Good thing no one was paying attention. The seminal metal mavens, on their seventh ballot, finally got the nod Monday and will be one of five acts saying "Hello, Cleveland!" in 2006.

Joining Sabbath in the Class of 2006 are the Sex Pistols, Blondie, Lynyrd Skynyrd and jazz great Miles Davis.

They will be feted at the Rock Hall's 21st annual induction ceremony that will be held, per tradition, at New York's famed Waldorf Astoria Hotel on Mar. 13.

Osbourne and his "War Pigs" comrades--Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward--formed in 1969 and first appeared on the ballot in 1997 (artists become eligible after at least 25 years have passed since their first album was released). But their repeated rejections became a running joke as voters opted for the tamer likes of Billy Joel, Percy Sledge, Bob Seger and the Righteous Brothers over the bat-chomping, Satan-touting Sabbath.

That led an embittered Osbourne to cry uncle in 1999. "Just take our name off the list. Save the ink," he groused to the cadre of artists, producers, journalists and historians who vote. "Forget about us."

Osbourne had no immediate comment Monday on the turn of events. But based on influence alone, his band deserved enshrinement, having inspired generations of head bangers, including Metallica and Megadeth. Sabbath successfully reunited in 2000 for its first tour in over 20 years.

Putting Sabbath and the Sex Pistols (another long passed over band) on the stage together should make for a rollicking evening.

Though they lasted only two years, the British rabble-rousers recorded the indelible punk anthems "Anarchy in the U.K." and "God Save the Queen" on their lone album, Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, and set the standard for self-destructive rock 'n' roll behavior thanks to frontman Johnny Rotten and the late Sid Vicious. Other band members included Paul Cook, Steve Jones and Glen Matlock.

Injecting some pop into the proceedings will be Blondie. Led by Debbie Harry, the new wave rockers topped the charts in the late '70s and early '80s with such hits as "Heart of Glass," "One Way or Another," "Call Me" and "The Hardest Part" and were one of the first acts to combine rock with rap, roots, salsa, funk, disco and reggae. Aside from Harry, the members to be enshrined include Clem Burke, Jimmy Destri, Nigel Harrison, Frank Infante, Chris Stein and Gary Valentine.

The induction will likely take a poignant turn when Lynyrd Skynyrd takes the stage. The Dixie rockers lost several members of their original lineup, including principal singer-songwriter Ronnie Van Zant, in a 1977 plane crash. But their hits--"Freebird," "Sweet Home Alabama," "Gimme Three Steps"--remain staples of classic rock and inspired everyone from ZZ Top to Bo Bice. In addition to Van Zant, Skynyrd's roster over the years included Bob Burns, Allen Collins, Steve Gaines, Ed King, Billy Powell, Artimus Pyle, Gary Rossington and Leon Wilkeson.

Easily the most curious selection on the ballot is Davis. The jazz icon, who died in 1991, was recognized for his profound influence on rock music, including hard-charging horn work on A Tribute to Jack Johnson and the psychedelic experimentation on (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)'s Brew, both released in 1970. Davis' six-decade career pushed the boundaries of jazz and fused soul, funk, hip-hop and rock.

Receiving the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation's Lifetime Achievement Award in the Non-Performer category will be Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss. They cofounded A&M Records in Los Angeles in 1962 and built up a roster of artists that included the Police, Joe Jackson, the Neville Brothers, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Captain Beefheart and John Hiatt.

The Sideman category will be announced at a later date.

Those not making the cut this year include A&M alum Cat Stevens (now known as Yusuf Islam), Chic, the Dave Clark Five, the J. Geils Band, John Mellencamp, the Patti Smith Group, the Paul Butterfield Band, the Sir Douglas Quintet and Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, which would have been the first rap act inducted.

my question is why isn't Alice Cooper ever let in? At least he finally got his star of the hollywood walk of fame.

KISS and Van Halen haven't gotten in either!! Travesty I tell you

my question is why isn't Alice Cooper ever let in? At least he finally got his star of the hollywood walk of fame.

KISS and Van Halen haven't gotten in either!! Travesty I tell you

Its a plot I tell you..........a plot.......... :laugh: