Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

The Grinch Not on TV

The Cartoon How the Grinch stole Christmas, on all the TV Christmas Specials I look at, is not on TV this year! The Movie has been listed several times, i would hate this to be the case, looks like I gotta go get the DVD

It has become politically correct to disavow and declare all things Christian as "evil", even in Massachusetts they are calling their Christmas tree a "Holiday Tree" to try to remove references to Christianity.

Wow. The Grinch cartoon is usually played ad nauseum all during the season. I wonder what the reason is not to play it?

It was shown out here a day or so before Thanksgiving. I was working on my PC, but was listening to it from the next room. I don't know if it's scheduled to come back on though.

Actually, I've noticed a lot of the Holiday Classics like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Jack Frost, etc...are becoming rarer and rarer on television.

Not enough gratuitous sex, killing, four-letter words, or blaspheming I guess.

I do not remember exactly when but it was shown on tv here before Thanksgiving. *shrug* I do not know why it was shown so early.

It would be sad if they removed it from the Christmas lineup, and even more sad if they removed other Christmas cartoons.

I just looked and yes it is coming on TV, here's all of the listings

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The miserly Grinch tries to ruin Christmas for the Whos. Narrated by Boris Karloff. 30 minutes- Seas, Anim

Mon Dec 12 08:00P on Cartoon Network

Wed Dec 14 08:00P on The WB

Wed Dec 14 08:00P on WPIX New York

Fri Dec 16 08:00P on Cartoon Network

Sat Dec 17 01:30A on Cartoon Network

Mon Dec 19 08:30P on Cartoon Network

Wed Dec 21 08:30P on Cartoon Network

Thu Dec 22 11:30A on Cartoon Network

Sat Dec 24 09:30A on Cartoon Network

Sat Dec 24 10:00P on Cartoon Network

Sun Dec 25 09:30A on Cartoon Network

My kid wouldn't watch it even if it was on a major network ... let's face it, today's kids have more sophisticated visual tastes than cartoons. He'll barely watch regular animation, now that he's seen the likes of Toy Story, Monster's Inc., and Shrek! Honestly, I can't really blame him. It would be like me trying to go back to playing Atari or the first incarnation of Nintendo after playing Gamecube and Playstation. It would be novel for about 5 minutes and then I'd just turn it off.

The Grinch is an excellent cartoon just for the narration and the music, certainly worth watching if just for that. Rudolph is quite nostalgic for me as well.

Oh, well, I guess when Sam grows up his kids probably won't be interested in watching Toy Story because of its primitive animation!

(BTW, if I'm honest with myself -- and I try not to be, it's depressing -- I think the Jim Carrey movie version of ol' Grinchy is far better and more satisfying a Christmas flick than the cartoon version.) Someone ought to burn me in effigy .....

It has become politically correct to disavow and declare all things Christian as "evil", even in Massachusetts they are calling their Christmas tree a "Holiday Tree" to try to remove references to Christianity.

It's been tradition every year for Nova Scotia to give Boston a tree as a thank you for their help after the 1917 explosion that devastated Halifax. This year the grower whose tree was sent was so angry about the name change he wanted his tree back. He said he'd have rather put it through the chipper in his backyard if he had known they were going to call it a "Holiday Tree".

I haven't seen the animated Grinch listed where I live but I'm sure it will be shown. CBC airs it every year. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the animated Grinch and Alastar Sims' Christmas Carol on television.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I do believe the reason it is only on cartoon network as they bought the rights to it. Now I could be wrong but I think that is the case. I did notice that they played one of the old puppet Christmas movies last night but your are right it does seem that they are not on as much but I do seem to remember abc family playing them over and over last year.

(BTW, if I'm honest with myself -- and I try not to be, it's depressing -- I think the Jim Carrey movie version of ol' Grinchy is far better and more satisfying a Christmas flick than the cartoon version.) Someone ought to burn me in effigy .....

Yes, they should :angry:

Actually, I never saw the Carrey movie - I refuse to - it seems like sacrilege. I heard that Mrs. Geisel (Seuss's widow) thought the humor was too flatulent and not happy with the movie - which sounds like Carrey.

If any special is showing up on cable rather than network it is because the networks didn't want them - they would have paid for the rights if they wanted it.

Actually, I never saw the Carrey movie - I refuse to - it seems like sacrilege. I heard that Mrs. Geisel (Seuss's widow) thought the humor was too flatulent and not happy with the movie - which sounds like Carrey.

Sometimes I just feel so bad for the elderly members of our society ... just think of what they've seen over the course of their lifetimes. It must really seem to them that they are living on another planet. I'll bet they'd all like to go back home, but they forgot where they parked the Mother Ship.

Naturally, Mrs. Geisel was not going to be happy with the movie ... it was updated to appeal to the children of today. I have a very intelligent and savvy (but in a good way) child ... he can't sit through the Grinch cartoon. It just does not speak his language.

Shoot, my eyes well up when I watch our home movies from when I was little back in the late 60's/early 70's. Those days are never coming back. I can only imagine how my grandparents must feel about the 40's and 50's.

Naturally, Mrs. Geisel was not going to be happy with the movie ... it was updated to appeal to the children of today. I have a very intelligent and savvy (but in a good way) child ... he can't sit through the Grinch cartoon. It just does not speak his language.

Some of the old Christmas stuff still speaks to today's kids. Either that or it's just parents and grandparents watching it. LOL CBS aired the holiday perennial "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" on Wednesday and it won its timeslot and did a lot better than what CBS normally airs at that time ( the series "Still Standing" and "Yes, Dear"). It looks like ABC and NBC split the holiday audience Friday so a Ghost Whisperer rerun still its timeslot.

I know lots of little kids that still watch regular cartoons - I mean Sponge Bob is a cartoon. If crude and vulgar is what speaks to kids today - that isn't a technology issue.

Besides I don't think Carrey's Grinch was really aimed at children - at least not the under twelve kind.

My kids like both, the kids range from 6 to 29. I found the Carrey movie boring and did not watch the whole movie. I most likely am one of the elderly members of our society, now were did I put that mother ship. :rockon:

I know lots of little kids that still watch regular cartoons - I mean Sponge Bob is a cartoon. If crude and vulgar is what speaks to kids today - that isn't a technology issue.

Besides I don't think Carrey's Grinch was really aimed at children - at least not the under twelve kind.

Amendment ... Sam does watch Spongebob and Scooby-Doo, Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry. It's typically things that I thought were just AWESOME when I was a kid that he turns his nose up at -- The Wizard of Oz, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, The Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and The Grinch cartoon. My 10 year old niece is also pretty lukewarm on all of that stuff.

I wish I could find the mother ship.

Amendment ... Sam does watch Spongebob and Scooby-Doo, Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry. It's typically things that I thought were just AWESOME when I was a kid that he turns his nose up at -- The Wizard of Oz, Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, The Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and The Grinch cartoon. My 10 year old niece is also pretty lukewarm on all of that stuff.

I wish I could find the mother ship.

That's funny in a way considering Spongebob is the only cartoon you listed that is new within the past 10 years. Bugs Bunny has been around since 1940 and most of the cartoons that aired when I was a kid are still being shown. Scooby-Doo hasn't really changed since its first series in 1968. Tom and Jerry have been around since the 1930's although I haven't seen any of their cartoons since the early 70's. Perhaps it is just the style of animation with some of those compared to their age. Frosty, Rudolph and Santa Claus is Coming to Town all use the same type of animation I think although the Grinch does use a traditional form of animation.