Sign in to follow this  
Vic

In Fifth Season 'Enterprise', Shran Might Have Come To Stay

This would have been an awesome development and would have made season 5 even better then season 4. Had this (Shran as a regular) happened the whole perception of the series would have turned around and ratings would surely have gone up.

I wish they (TPTB) had consulted us here at STF, we had come up with several of the same things that they had and a few that they didn't.

I saw this over at the ST.com boards several days ago, and I'll say again what I said there...

(First of all, several members had posted that having Shran be a part of the crew would be stupid. So I said...)

I think Shran would have gotten a new command, considering how he was instrumental in forming an alliance, temporary as it might have been, with not only the humans, but also the Vulcans and the Tellerites. Sure, Shran said the in the Imperial Guard, commanders aren't usually given a new ship if they lose and old one, but how many commanders lose their ships and almost immediately help getting several peoples that generally dislike each other to work together for the common good? So, with Shran getting a new ship, I think Andoria and Earth, and maybe even Vulcan, would have teamed up and formed a task force, made of of Enterprise, Shran's new command, and a Vulcan cruiser, to deal with the apparent Romulan threat.

This would have lead to more Shran, a suspenseful building up to the Romulan War, excellent character development, and something never before seen in Trek; a season (if not the rest of the series) that focuses on a fleet, rather than a single ship. Sure, a small fleet, but a fleet nonetheless.

I saw this over at the ST.com boards several days ago, and I'll say again what I said there...

(First of all, several members had posted that having Shran be a part of the crew would be stupid. So I said...)

I think Shran would have gotten a new command, considering how he was instrumental in forming an alliance, temporary as it might have been, with not only the humans, but also the Vulcans and the Tellerites. Sure, Shran said the in the Imperial Guard, commanders aren't usually given a new ship if they lose and old one, but how many commanders lose their ships and almost immediately help getting several peoples that generally dislike each other to work together for the common good? So, with Shran getting a new ship, I think Andoria and Earth, and maybe even Vulcan, would have teamed up and formed a task force, made of of Enterprise, Shran's new command, and a Vulcan cruiser, to deal with the apparent Romulan threat.

This would have lead to more Shran, a suspenseful building up to the Romulan War, excellent character development, and something never before seen in Trek; a season (if not the rest of the series) that focuses on a fleet, rather than a single ship. Sure, a small fleet, but a fleet nonetheless.

That's an interesting idea, I was thinking it would have been more like what we saw on DS9 with Martok based right there at the station though. In this case Shran would have been quartered on Enterprise as the Andorian representative and T'Pol would be the Vulcan representative. Since Shran had lost his ship my thought was that the Imperial Guard would view his assignment to Enterprise as a "punishment" of sorts but it would of course help lead to the Federation being a strong and long lasting power.

That's an interesting idea, I was thinking it would have been more like what we saw on DS9 with Martok based right there at the station though. In this case Shran would have been quartered on Enterprise as the Andorian representative and T'Pol would be the Vulcan representative. Since Shran had lost his ship my thought was that the Imperial Guard would view his assignment to Enterprise as a "punishment" of sorts but it would of course help lead to the Federation being a strong and long lasting power.

I think that's what the producers originally planned as well, though I doubt it would've been a good plot twist. After all, the only reason Enterprise had a Vulcan representative was partially due to the fact that Earth and Vulcan had been working together for around a century, under the Vulcans' guidance. Earth and Andoria, at that point, had only a couple years worth of experience with each other. I think that giving Shran a new ship and having the ships work together would've enabled Shran to grow better as a chracter. Sure, being stuck on Enterprise would let him grow as well, but that growth would be stemmed by the typical Andorian mistrust of other races. Also, giving Shran a new ship would work perfectly with that Andorian mind-set. After all, the Imperial Guard may want to punish Shran, but at the same time they don't want one of their high-ranking officers to fall into potential enemy hands.

I think that's what the producers originally planned as well, though I doubt it would've been a good plot twist. After all, the only reason Enterprise had a Vulcan representative was partially due to the fact that Earth and Vulcan had been working together for around a century, under the Vulcans' guidance. Earth and Andoria, at that point, had only a couple years worth of experience with each other. I think that giving Shran a new ship and having the ships work together would've enabled Shran to grow better as a chracter. Sure, being stuck on Enterprise would let him grow as well, but that growth would be stemmed by the typical Andorian mistrust of other races. Also, giving Shran a new ship would work perfectly with that Andorian mind-set. After all, the Imperial Guard may want to punish Shran, but at the same time they don't want one of their high-ranking officers to fall into potential enemy hands.

Yeah, but they could alsohave looked at as a way for Shran to act almost as a spy and to ensure that the Humans and Vulcans weren't plotting against the Andorians. If Shran is right there on the bridge at all times that T'Pol is then he will know what's happening and be part of the conversations.

I think it would have been great either way though.

Yeah, but they could alsohave looked at as a way for Shran to act almost as a spy and to ensure that the Humans and Vulcans weren't plotting against the Andorians. If Shran is right there on the bridge at all times that T'Pol is then he will know what's happening and be part of the conversations.

True, but then again, with a small multi-ship task force, all commanding officers would have direct contact with each other and each other's senior staff. Not to mention it's not hard to monitor comm traffic.

Agreed.

True, but then again, with a small multi-ship task force, all commanding officers would have direct contact with each other and each other's senior staff. Not to mention it's not hard to monitor comm traffic.

Agreed.

I do think I would have preferred the small task force idea, it would have given the show a whole new dynamic and could have led to all Andorian episodes like we had from time to time with the Ferengi in DS9.

Actually I think they (the writers and directors) could have pulled a lot out of DS9 to form the make up of how to run things. I'm thinking of DS9's 7th season when the Klingons, Romulans, Bajorans and Humans were all working to defeat the Dominion. Or even when the Dominion owned the station in season 6 and Weyoun was in charge of the station with Dukat as his puppet along with Odo and Kira.

I've been working on a rough outline of a fifth season and I included Shran almost right away. My explanation was that Crewman Masaro (the Terra Prime spy that committed suicide) hacked into T'pol's medical files (before his death) and then the information about her addiction was passed on to Terra Prime (secretly). Terra Prime broadcast this and it was a huge scandal, several governments (Ithenites, Rigellians, and Coridans) withdraw from the Allaince discussions over the preferential treatment Earth gives the Vulcans. Andoria and Tellar threaten to as well, so Starfleet is forced to concede their demand that they have officers on Enterprise as well. Earth agrees and Shran is assigned to Enterprise as first officer, T'pol is demoted to lieutenant and limited to her science duties (she would eventually re-rise to commander and first officer, likely after Shran fakes his death). Enterprise also gets a Tellarite engineer (Terev, who was seen in In The Mirror, Darkly). Kelby and Cutler are reassigned as part of an interspecies officer exchange (similar to what we saw in the TNG era).

This is all just an outline and it is a little awkward but I think it achieves my goals of shaking up the crew a little.

I have an idea for an awesome line for when Shran comes aboard:

"You're going to owe me for a long time for this one, pink-skin."