Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

What do you call Spock?

I was just wondering, because I decided to put the Spock quote in my Signature on a few boards. I know he was referred to as "Mr. Spock" on TOS, but didn't he hold the rank of Commander? I'm not familiar with TOS, so I don't know this for sure. I know he was Captain in a couple of the movies, and he was Ambassador to Vulcan in the TNG days, which is more what I know. (Trek-wise, Spock-wise, it's from the movies, not the TNG episodes he appeared in.)

I know most people will just know Spock is :bow: but I was curious what he is technically.

Well technically he should be called by the last rank he had so Ambassador Spock is most appropriate.

Wasn't he called a "Green blooded, pointy-eared Hobgoblin? ......Oh wait.....thats just what McCoy called him.............never mind............... :bow:

That's why it is so full of fun just watching Spock and McCoy. I don't know why they don't come up with great characters like that again.

Edited by krysis

Wasn't he called a "Green blooded, pointy-eared Hobgoblin? ......Oh wait.....thats just what McCoy called him.............never mind............... :bow:

So THAT'S all of it! I love the scene in ST2:TWOK when McCoy starts with "Why you green blooded poiny eared..." and then is interrupted, and Spock just raises his eyebrow.

That's why it is so full of fun just watching Spock and McCoy. I don't know why they don't come up with great characters like that again.
They have... Geordi and Data, Picard and Riker, Odo and Quark, Bashir and O'Brien, Janeway and Chakotay, Paris and Kim... The Trek universe is full of great characters who play off one another. I give TOS mad props for doing it with so little flash and flair (all they had in the 1960s) but at the same time I find it hard to watch. BUT... I kinda think Spock is the coolest character they've made. Data, Odo, Holodoc, and Tuvok all pay tribute, but none come close to Spock. :biggrin:

Spock...just plain and simple.

And I agree, Spock and McCoy were the greatest duo. Star trek has tried to reproduce another set like them, but it ws never the same.

What do you call Spock???

Spock

But if you are referring to rank, then Ambassador which is what he was during TNG's "Reunification"

However, if you are quoting him... then I personally would use whatever rank he was at the time he made that remark. That way it matches the source.

No matter what rank was attained in any other series or movie, in TOS, Kirk always referred to me as "Spock" or "Mister Spock", therefore, given the fact that we're in the "TOS" thread, I would say one of those two choices would be acceptable. Any other ranking was attained later & would be therefore unapplicable for this time period. :biggrin: :bow:

Just Spock is fine. You say "Spock," everyone knows who you're talking about. There's no need toadd a rank.

When TOS began he was a Lieutenant Commander. However, he received a promotion to full Commander later in the show.

Of course Starfleet was hardly consistent with the ranks. In The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country the Enterprise had 3 Captains at once, Spock, Scotty and Kirk. Kirk had command even though he was technically outranked (time-in-grade) by both Spock and Scotty.