Sign in to follow this  
ThetaFive

Inconsistencies with the Borg

Why do the Borg in First Contact have uniforms under the borg armor or whatever it is called however in Best of Both Worlds they find Picard's uniform in a drawer?

In "Best Of Both Worlds", they were on a Borg ship which we can assume stores everything a Borg needs. In "First Contact", the Borg snuck aboard the Enterprise so they had to make due. I'm sure the Enterprise didn't have a supply of Borg uniforms handy for them to use.............hows that for making something up on the fly?......... :bow:

By the way, Welcome to the boards. Don't forget that we also have a chatroom here.

Ok that makes sense.

Out of curiosity which Borg do you think are better (more intimidating).

Pre first contact or post.

I like elements of both, the main thing I like about pre is the lack of a queen. To me it was more interesting to say the least thinking of the collective being one mind without a queen. Plus I never really understood the logic of why a queen would be needed.

I do like the technology in the post First Contact better such as the maturation chambers and the look of the Alcoves.

Out of curiosity which Borg do you think are better (more intimidating).

Pre first contact or post.

I like elements of both, the main thing I like about pre is the lack of a queen.

I couldn't agree more! I believe that the introduction of the Queen ruined the Borg. The Borg were at their scariest when they first appeared on TNG. They just showed up with vastly superior technology, told you what they were going to do with you and proceeded to do it. You couldn't talk to them or reason with them.

I felt that made them incredibly frightening. When the Queen appeared, they had a mouthpiece all of a sudden and just turned into the villian of the week.

That and they took what was normal and twisted it just enough so that it still could be seen for what they used to be but could see that they had been corrupted not to mention what those had been assimilated or who where in the process of being assimilated where going thru.

One moment they where fighting against the Borg and the next moment they are fighting for them or even worse still are aware enough to know they are being assimilated. Imagine the fear of seeing or feeling Borg technology moving thru you or attached to you or being led passed maturation chambers and seeing children you know.

Such fear is what made them so good and still do in some cases.

She just personified the borg. She was still part of the collective. The Queen Borg gave them drive and direction that they should go. Plus it made it good special effects during the First Contact.

She just personified the borg. She was still part of the collective. The Queen Borg gave them drive and direction that they should go. Plus it made it good special effects during the First Contact.

I agree. I don't really see how the collective could function without the Borg Queen. They think as one because they think what she wants them to think. If there wasn't a Borg Queen it would wreck havoc. The Borg Queen told Data that she is the Borg and that she brings order to chaos. In Descent, Part II Hugh told about the chaos that erupted after he was returned to the Borg. The drones fought each other, had different ideas on how to proceed, some deactivated themselves, etc. because there were disconnected from the one voice that told them all what to do.

As for make-up and costume scariness, I prefer the look of the First Contact/Voyager/Enterprise Borg to the TNG Borg.

For "personality" I like the pre First Contact. They were cold, calculating, powerful, and just truely evil. For the look, post First Contact.

I saw a photo of a Borg made-up to look like a George Romero-Zombie.....it was AWESOME!

There's no way the network would have allowed TNG to use those zombie Borg, but it would've been fun.

These Romero Borg had fogged-over "dead" eyes, yellowish-pale flesh, blue veins visible close under the skin, and just a general look of High-Tech decay....scary. :bow:

I guess my favorite Borg, that actually made it onto Star Trek were the First Contact Borg.

My favorite Queen, Alice Krige. :)

I guess my favorite Borg, that actually made it onto Star Trek were the First Contact Borg.

Same here. :borgqueen: They def. looks more like cyborgs there, and also much scarier!

:bow: :)

They do look scarier in First Contact all around -- there technology, the drones and eveything else. But the feeling behind them is not the same after First Contact. They where just so alien yet so familiar at the same time and that is part of the intrigue behind them to me. They way they take the normal and twist it just enough so the normal is still there in some form yet you can tell that the normal has been altered in some way.

I can see some of the logic behind the Queen just not all of it. One example is why would the Queen want a partner as she stated in First Contact. If she is truely the center of the Borg Collective then such a need would seem to be unnessary to me. Such a behavior would seem to be a defect in the collective since it would not be neccesary for perfection.

Also I wasn't clear on what part of First Contact I was reffering to above. In First Contact the drones in the Holodeck had uniforms under the Borg plating yet in Best of Both Worlds they found Picards uniform. That is the inconsistency I was reffering to. I am just curious why it was done this way. Some inconsistencies I can see but this one I can not see why it was done. Later in Voyager they go back to the way it was done in Best of Both Worlds so there must have been a reason it was only that way for First Contact. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by ThetaFive

Also I wasn't clear on what part of First Contact I was reffering to above. In First Contact the drones in the Holodeck had uniforms under the Borg plating yet in Best of Both Worlds they found Picards uniform. That is the inconsistency I was reffering to. I am just curious why it was done this way. Some inconsistencies I can see but this one I can not see why it was done. Later in Voyager they go back to the way it was done in Best of Both Worlds so there must have been a reason it was only that way for First Contact. Anyone have any ideas?

I thought Kor's answer was good. In BOBW and Voyager they were doing the assimilations on Borg ships while in First Contact they were making due with what they had on the Enterprise. They just didn't have the equipment and, in a way, the time to do the assimilations as they would do on a Borg ship. By time, they wanted to get enough of the crew assimilated quickly so they could take over the Enterprise and then Earth.

Edited by Takara_Soong

I thought by leaving Picard's uniform they way it was just heighten the danger and gave the crew and audience something more happen to Picard. I thought it was very odd the his cloths where neatly and could found easily by the crew.

Edited by Odie

Now that I look back on his post it was a good explanation due to the circumstances. Wonder what would be scarier being assimilated in a familiar setting or being assimilated in a alien setting?

I thought by leaving Picard's uniform they way it was just heighten the danger and gave the crew and audience something more happen to Picard. I thought it was very odd the his cloths where neatly and could found easily by the crew.

If I remember right they found his uniform bacause his communicator was active or something like that. It did set up the danger thou as the viewers begin to wonder why his uniform is there. I can't remember back to the first time I saw it so I can't really remember if I knew what was coming or not.

I am not sure if this is really a inconsistency but it is something that doesn't really make sense to me.

In the Voyager episode that introduces the Borg children I find it kind of weird that the children would have body armor similiar to the full grown drones.

They where in maturation chambers still going thru the process of maturation. Some if not all of them where not full grown so why would they have the body armor unless does the body armor grow with them as they are matured?

A lot of the assimilation is done on a molecular level. It makes sense that even the body armor could be created and repeaired on a molecular level also, but to me it makes more sense that they would wait till the drone is full grown before adding the armor/platting.

I am not sure if this is really a inconsistency but it is something that doesn't really make sense to me.

In the Voyager episode that introduces the Borg children I find it kind of weird that the children would have body armor similiar to the full grown drones.

They where in maturation chambers still going thru the process of maturation. Some if not all of them where not full grown so why would they have the body armor unless does the body armor grow with them as they are matured?

A lot of the assimilation is done on a molecular level. It makes sense that even the body armor could be created and repeaired on a molecular level also, but to me it makes more sense that they would wait till the drone is full grown before adding the armor/platting.

I think the first problem with what you're saying there is that you're thinking of what the Borg have on their bodies as a uniform. I don't believe it's a uniform at all, it's not like they go into the Borg changing rooms every morning and take it out of their locker. What they appear to be wearing is essentially what the nanoprobes have placed on areas of their body to both sustain and advance them and there is no reason why pre-maturity drones wouldn't have this.

I think the first problem with what you're saying there is that you're thinking of what the Borg have on their bodies as a uniform. I don't believe it's a uniform at all, it's not like they go into the Borg changing rooms every morning and take it out of their locker. What they appear to be wearing is essentially what the nanoprobes have placed on areas of their body to both sustain and advance them and there is no reason why pre-maturity drones wouldn't have this.

Ok that makes sense. Your saying that it is like a outer laying of skin that in a sense grows as the nanoprobes assimilate, so it is actually interconnected or bonded into the drones skin on a molecular level?

Ok that makes sense. Your saying that it is like a outer laying of skin that in a sense grows as the nanoprobes assimilate, so it is actually interconnected or bonded into the drones skin on a molecular level?

Yes, that's just what it is. :borgqueen: Or more like it is an outer scelethon. :laugh:

:laugh:

Edited by 3 of 7

I believe it's supposed to be bonded to the skin which is why the EMH on Voyager had to design special dermoplastic clothing for Seven.

Of course this is all conjecture.

1. Borg Queen

The term Borg Queen so far, is made by humans.

As there's no confirmation of such a title in the Collective itself.

What we do know about her in the Borg's point of view is as she said. "She's the Collective"

Not necessary the usual egotistic people who say that to mean they are the leader.

Instead, she could mean it literally, as in the Collective is speaking through her.

The host head is not the leader, its the minds of the whole speaking through her who are the leader.

In other words, they are all the leaders & the drones. It's the thought that counts.

As there are too many drones around, each individual drones are program to follow a set of protocols on how to react to various situations.

Until the Collective decides to focus on a location, a ship for example. Paying full attention to the situation & coordinating the drones personally.

2. Uniforms

Yes, under normal circumstances, I believe the Borg would have recycled the clothes & not put it in a drawer or something.

TNG is just the drawing board for the Borg. Personally I'd say they made it too ridicules the way they perceived them back then.

There's no logical or efficiency in keeping such garments when they can recycle them if & when they are able to.

Something else I'm glad they changed is:

The Maturation Chambers is a chamber of fluid where the baby is placed, no more using a tiny drawer with a soft blanket snuggling it.