Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Spock and Nurse Chapel

I think that a simple Mind Meld, like Tuvok did on Voyager with Naus, would have sorted out poor Nurse Chapel who was in love with Mr Spock. Behind that swave Vulcan exterior, lies just another insensitive man! Glad to see she was over it though, in The Motion Picture. Though the advent of the trouser suit must have bunked her IQ up a nothch from the Peroxide Mini Skirt days to allow her to become an MD. ie Learn how to use a hypospray and programme the bio bed.

Actually, at that time in Spock's life he was still very much living in a straight jacket. Trying so very hard to be Vulcan, he was stricter in his Discipline than most full Vulcans ever considered being. He was insecure and not entirely comfortable in his own skin. He had to grow into accepting both sides of his nature, something that only came with time through living with and understanding humans, to his mind meld with V'Ger in the Motion Picture when he realized logic without feelings is void. He finally came to grips with who he is.

As for using a mind meld to solve Christine Chapel's crush on him, I don't think so! Mind melds are dangerous in that the participants must completely lower their personal mental barriers in order to participate. Sometimes, as illustrated in "The Changling" said link is hard to disengage, as well --- another point of the danger to which Spock eluded when we first learned of mind melds in "Dagger of the Mind". It is not telepathy. It is also used, (and here some might disagree, but a little research goes a long way) to help form the link between prospective mates. "One touches the thoughts of another. In this way they are both drawn together at the proper time," according to Spock in "Amok Time". Why, then, would he mind meld with Christine when it could possibly strengthen her feelings for him and draw her even closer to him for the sharing?

Face it, he wasn't all that attracted to Christine Chapel and I can't say that I blame him. And I fully appreciate why wouldn't opt to allow her to touch his thoughts. As for being insensitive, I disagree. He showed pain in his apology to her. He didn't wish to hurt her and he knew he couldn't give her what she wanted.

T'Bree