Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Which of the Two is your favorite?

Favorite Version of the Dahl Classic  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Between the Two, Which Version Is Your Favorite?

• Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

To celebrate the movie being released today on DVD, I thought I'd ask this question. I grew up watching WWATCF, but after reading the book and watching the new movie I can see that the original movie was way off from being close to the book. So much so that Dahl himself refused to let them make a sequel, which they shouldn't anyway since the book "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" is no where near as good as the first book which the movies are based.

The new movie is 98% right on with what is in the book. I vote for that. Dahl was ashamed of the original but I think that he would be proud of the new movie. Can't wait to get this on DVD today, I'm even going to get the special 2 disc edition *hopefully*

I loved watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when I was growing up, and I still like it a lot.

However, I got to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and that one is better IMO. :laugh: And the two disc set is awesome. LOL, the Oompa Loompa dance segments are a scream ( I have to agree with my sister and say the song and dance about Mike Teevee is my favorite)!

Edited by Yillara_Skye

my movie and DVD review

Second Favorite Movie Of The Year :lol:

I absolutely loved this movie. It has reminded me why the original film was so special. Even though the original will always be a classic, in some ways, I almost think that this movie surpassed the original. For example, it actually showed more than the original film. In the original "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", it is only mentioned how the Oompa Loompas came to work in the factory. But in "Charlie", you actually see Wonka go to their home country and find out why they are even working for him. Another interesting thing about this movie is that we get to see into the life of a young Willy Wonka when he was just a child; he has been emotionally scarred by his strict father who never allowed him to eat chocolate or any other candy because his dad was a dentist.

The scenery for this film is amazing. From the snow covered city, to the candy room in the factory, it was very beautiful and set the perfect mood for the story. Tim Burton in a recent interview said that it is real chocolate that you see coming down the waterfall, no fake stuff. All in all, it is very wonderful eye candy.

As my brother, who was with me mentioned, it was amazing how well the young actors in this film did. Very talented and eerily resembling the actors who were in the original film. The person who was Charlie in the film did an excellent job, and so did the person who played his grandfather. Johnny Depp is the perfect choice for Wonka. Wonka comes off as a big kid and Depp played it brilliantly. He is just what you see on the TV commercials, a very cool character that made the movie even more interesting.

The music was very catchy, with each new person that was eliminated from the contest; the Oompa Loompas changed the music entirely for each one. These songs had me tapping my toes at many parts, it has inspired me to go out and buy the soundtrack, and I did. And the classical scores by Danny Elfman were fantastic as well, he is sure to be the next John Williams. His music help set the mood during the opening credits when the chocolate bars are shown being made.

Overall, this film is everything I had hoped it would be. This has become my favorite Burton film. The entire time, I can't remember when a smile wasn't literally on my face; it was just like being a kid again watching the original for the first time, even though in some ways the stories are completely different, this movie being closer to the book than the original. This is probably the funniest time I've had in the theater this summer and it was just as enjoyable on the DVD. On a pure enjoyment factor, this movie is tops. What's not to like? It's a feel good movie that touches the inner child in us and leaves you feeling good by the end. If you miss this movie and don't buy it, you are missing something huge.

First, when mentioning the special features, I first have to mention the menu screens. Excellently done, each different menu stared Deep Roy as an Oompa Loompa and each screen he is always doing something different. A lot of time was put into just the menu screen; it's nice to know so much care was put into that alone. It was also nice to see Deep Roy do this for us DVD viewers, he is always entertaining. Now to the special features:

Attack of the Squirrels- This is a short making of that shows that these squirrels weren't the easiest actors to work with. It is amazing how much of what we see on the film, not all, was done by real squirrels. We also get a look at the CGI and mechanical squirrels. It's a very interesting look into all of this.

The Fantastic Mr. Dahl- This is a touching look at the life of Mr. Roald Dahl, the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory among other novels. This documentary features Dahl's family and friends as their share stories of their lives living with the legend. It also features the family and friends reading excerpts from his various stories. At times, it is very touching to the point tears begin to form. This was a very loving tribute to the author who loved and understood children.

Becoming Oompa Loompa- Deep Roy is probably the most talented actor of this film, and this is really shown when you see how much work he put into his performance as an Oompa Loompa. From learning the choreography to having to do the same moves time after time after time, when it's all finished, you find a new appreciation for Deep Roy as an actor.

The Five Making of Featurretes- These small mini-documentaries go into detail about how the factory/music and so on was made. My favorite part being how the music was made since this movie has such a brilliant soundtrack.

Challenges- These are mini-games that are lots of fun for any age. Oompa-Loompa Dance Machine being my favorite. In this game, you can watch how Deep Roy does the moves for the songs "Augustus Gloop" and "Violet Beauregarde" and you can watch and rewatch the steps to learn how to dance like an Oompa Loompa. Then the second part of the game is that when he is dancing, you can use your remote control and follow his dance moves with the remote. If you mess up, the Oompa Loompa will fall and you have to start over. Once you successfully do one dance, more moves are added and the game becomes more difficult. Real fun!

Overall this DVD is excellent! A lot of time was put into it and I couldn't be happier.

I voted for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory..guess the main is because it brings back childhood memorys :yahoo:

The new version was also very funny.

I recently changed my opinion on this debate.

I used to totally support the version I saw as a kid in school. Gene Wilder's Wonka was great. But my kids love Johnny Depp and the new film. They watch it so much, that I've grown to really like it myself. All in all I think the new film captures some of the characters better than the old movie, especially the Buckets.

I've been hoping they do the Great Glass Elevator.

Willy Wonka...nothing can replace Gene Wilder's whimsical performance in my heart. Not to mention I loved the hateful vibe between Veruca and Violet in WW.

Veruca (whining): But I want an Oompa Loompa NOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Violet: CAN IT, YOU NIT!

Veruca: *snarls while biting down on a licorice whip*

...classic. :laugh:

If you liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory please don't be offended. But in my opinion it sucked. Depp was wrong for the role and they made the movie too "dark".

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was a light and fun movie. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was not.

If you liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory please don't be offended. But in my opinion it sucked. Depp was wrong for the role and they made the movie too "dark".

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was a light and fun movie. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was not.

I completely agree.

Far be it from me to disagree with President Kevs (:clap:), but the boat ride in WW&TCF was darker and more terrifying than anything in C&TCF.

If they really wanted to get an actor who was the closest to the book's interpretation of Willy Wonka though, they should've totally gotten Martin Short.

i say both of them the new one johnny depp did good in but both were good to me