Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

An ATM in Quark's bar?

[source]

Although we only rarely see it, there is an ATM in Quark's bar. It dispenses the various types of currency used by major races visiting the station: Federation credits, Bajoran litas, Cardassian leks, and Ferengi latinum.

I disagree for two reasons. First, I've watched every episode, and I've never seen an ATM. Second, when Quark counts his money, he counts only latinum. The Federation don't have physical money, and I don't think I've ever seen Bajoran or Cardassian currency out in the open. Third, Quark's regular customers carry a tab... I have seen people "pay" with a thumb print on a pad. So I call bulls**t on that one.

Is any of the other trivia there wrong or misleading for DS9? Often after seeing a movie I like to read the trivia and the goofs. I used to read what they pass off as a message board, but they seem to delete accounts after a few days of inactivity... I've created a few, and they all get deleted, though to my knowledge I've never done anything to get banned... and now you need to have an account in good standing to read the posts there... but the rest I can access no problem.

I don't think i've ever seen a ATM in quarks bar.. and i think that i've seen some episodes that the person says something like "i have to go back to my room and get money" or something like that.

I think I've heard that somewhere too. I'll have to look around for it.

I used to read what they pass off as a message board, but they seem to delete accounts after a few days of inactivity... I've created a few, and they all get deleted, though to my knowledge I've never done anything to get banned... and now you need to have an account in good standing to read the posts there... but the rest I can access no problem.

I've had an account there for a year or two, sometimes not posting for a month at a time. My account is always there in the end. It's just not a nice place to post in.

Maybe it's one of those things that's there but never seen. Like the Ent-D's single toilet. :angry:

It seems to me that one of the special feature videos mentioned an ATM but I'm not sure on that. I'd have to go back and rewatch the special discs.

well that seems like tough work, sure you can manage it? lol ^_^ :( :) :(

Well toilets are something left out of TV shows as a matter of taste. As far as I know, we have no idea whatsoever how people in the 24th century take care of business. They do have bathrooms in the quarters, and I've seen a sonic shower once, but we have to assume there are toilets in there, and they probably read books or magazines or ship-duty stuff on those flat pads while they're on the john. It's just not covered because covering it would be tasteless, even in a novel. The only way they could approach it would be like a joke, someone from our time (in a time-travel episode, or holodeck) asking if bathrooms have improved much in the last 4 centuries.

I concede, the source I quoted is questionable. IMDb is a good resource, but they're very flawed. I found this fact in question, and also another one... They say that director Kevin Smith was going to call his new movie "Clerks 2: The Passion of the Clerks" but cut the subtitle because of the "South Park" episode "The Passion of the Jew". And that's all that they say about that. Umm... what about the Mel Gibson movie "The Passion of the Christ" on which both (Clerks and South Park) titles are based? I think IMDb's trivia is written by its members... or monkeys. In any case, they're not official. Some even contradict or repeat in different wording. So perhaps the bit about an ATM in Quark's bar is based upon an assumption. In any case, the Federation doesn't have a monetary system - this has been explained in the movies "The Voyage Home" and "First Contact" and has not, as far as I know, been repealed by any canonical source. (The Federation people on DS9 do have credit, but this has been theorized that it is in exchange for the shopkeepers' nonexistent rent payments they would be making if the Federation did use money.)

Well, zipkirk1966 sent me a PM about this thread and asked if I could help answer the question about an ATM in Quark's Bar. I did get to spend quite a bit of time on the sets of DS9 the day I was an extra for the episode "The Darkness and the Light" and, believe it or not, was told to take as many pictures as I could!

at_bar.jpg

To answer the question as to if there was an ATM in Quark's, ...

Not that I saw nor remember.

However, there was one on the Promenade not too far from Quark's.

And it caught my attention.

You see there were symbols for many of the familiar Star Trek species/races atm_01.jpg

but one that I thought was a bit out of place. atm_02.jpg

Hey glad I could help lol I knew if anyone could answer this question it was my friend jorel since he was a extra on the show too cool thanks for the pics jorel.

Brian

In any case, the Federation doesn't have a monetary system - this has been explained in the movies "The Voyage Home" and "First Contact" and has not, as far as I know, been repealed by any canonical source. (The Federation people on DS9 do have credit, but this has been theorized that it is in exchange for the shopkeepers' nonexistent rent payments they would be making if the Federation did use money.)

The whole monetary system thing seems contradictory. For example, in Encounter at Farpoint when Beverly was purchasing that fabric she told the guy to charge it to her account. If they don't have a monetary system in place then how does she have credits/currency in an account?

You mention First Contact, in the commentary by Brannon Braga and Ron Moore one of them mentions that when Picard is telling Lily about the monetary system in the 24th century that they used the wording from the Star Trek Bible written by Gene Roddenberry almost verbatim.

Well, zipkirk1966 sent me a PM about this thread and asked if I could help answer the question about an ATM in Quark's Bar. I did get to spend quite a bit of time on the sets of DS9 the day I was an extra for the episode "The Darkness and the Light" and, believe it or not, was told to take as many pictures as I could!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Those are great pictures!! Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Edited by Takara_Soong

Yes, thanks for the pictures!

The first picture identifies it not as an ATM, but as a "Ferengi Credit Exchange". So, you put in whatever money your species uses, and it pops out slips, strips, or bars of gold-pressed Latinum? Not quite an ATM as we know them, but it's close enough in concept.

Is this credit exchange thing used in any of the episodes?

I will certainly be keeping a look out for this when my girlfriend and I watch Deep Space Nine together. :dontgetit:

Yes, thanks for the pictures!

The first picture identifies it not as an ATM, but as a "Ferengi Credit Exchange". So, you put in whatever money your species uses, and it pops out slips, strips, or bars of gold-pressed Latinum? Not quite an ATM as we know them, but it's close enough in concept.

Is this credit exchange thing used in any of the episodes?

I will certainly be keeping a look out for this when my girlfriend and I watch Deep Space Nine together. :dontgetit:

I don't recall any mention of it being used, though there may have been people going up to it here and there. If that's the case I never noticed or knew what they were doing.

No, just cold, hard, latinum. No personal checks. Checking is Futile.

I would think, having to interact with species that still use currency, the Federation might have something like a Credit System. I can't imagine walking into Sisko's, sitting down, ordering Jumbalya, and making poor Mr. Sisko make that for me, bring it out to my table, then bus the table after I am done and get nothing for it. Perhaps you get paid in credits? Where each credit might be worth 1 strip of Latinum or something.

That's Jambalaya, as I know it. When I moved in with my girlfriend, she had a box of the Chicken Helper Jambalaya. Bad experiences with Hamburger Helper have led me to distrust the Helper boxes, but she assured me this was good, and it's now one of our favorite dishes. I have a from-scratch recipe I've been meaning to try, but haven't got around to it.

If Mr. Sisko gets everything for free, and in the tradition of 24th century economics, is doing his job to better mankind, then he's getting something for it. :blink: Best not to try to debate Star Trek economics; it's always been a weak link in the series.

Edited by Dark Reality

That's awesome, jorel; thanks for sharing that! :klingon:

And I have always wondered about the economics aspect of Star Trek...

If anyone would like to write a 5000-word essay on it and submit it to me, that would be fantastic! :welcome:

it wasn't a atm. it was more of a central computer that had finacial records of everyone on that planet. but more or less it was a atm, but it wasn't in quarks.

yeh I know I was just saying that they exist is all. but if that was a central computer of bank information why was it in a bar.

The Central computer terminal that O'Brien helps the criminals hack, was in a bar on another planet. Presumably on that planet, every public area has an easily accessable computer terminal for access to public banking and probably bus schedules and the like. (I'm surmizing about it's uses, no where that I remember does anyone say it's exact purpose, but I thought this was reasonable.) The "ATM" from quarks, as was said earlier by a reliable person, was not in Quarks, but it was a Ferengi Exchange machine, near Quarks. (like coin machines in arcades I suppose).

if you look at the guy who has that thing he used to hack into the computer system to make someone pay the bill of their food, in the beginning of the episode, thats is where you'll see it.