Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

Wabi Sabi Spirituality

Link

I came across this article just now, and I couldn't help thinking what a fascinating concept Wabi Sabi seems to be. Though I barely know anymore about it then this interview holds, I feel it really does reflect a lot of what I believe in, particularly of late as I've taken it upon myself to explore and find my own path spiritually. It really is amazing how much beauty there is, all around us all the time, and how often I simply don't see it. Once I start looking however, I see uniqueness and astonishing beauty everywhere.

Indeed, this view of mine is one of the foundations of my belief in Pantheism.

Thoughts, comments? :blush:

Edited by NordicBearskin

*kicks tumbleweed out of the way*

That's a really interesting article! Although I'm a polytheist, I've discovered that I may also be a Pantheist, so I'll be looking into it more.

I've had a few (very few) moments like this (taken from the article)...

The haiku moment is that moment where you perceive something that's beautiful, and you realize that it's just temporary, but you can appreciate it in that moment, and it doesn't have to be perfect, and it doesn't have to last, but you're there noticing it.

and although I remember each one as if they happened yesterday, I couldn't describe them, or the feeling of being in those moments, if my life depended on it! That sentence does it perfectly! Thanks for posting the link. :angry: :blush:

There’s been a desire to have a simpler life--the voluntary simplicity movement and back to the land ideas. But people who tried that found it was difficult to do consistently. You have to make a living, and keep going on with your life. The reason wabi sabi has caught on is that it’s something you can appreciate in everyday life. You don’t have to go back to the country. You can look for wabi sabi all around you and change the environment right where you are to make it more wabi sabi.

That makes it sound like Simplify Lite.

I'm sorry I know I sound cynical - but it just sounds like another fad for bored "yuppies(whatever you call them now). Think about it - if the Amish eschew modernization they're belittled or as the interview says - it's "difficult" to do but if a jet setting corporate exec gets a cool term for looking at moments in nature - well that's groundbreaking - and apparently it is "easy".

My personal life experience has been that long walks, honest labor and helping someone out do more for the "soul" than anything.

*shrug* I dunno. I've been finding that a lot of these concepts are vague, at least as they are being explained by many modern people, so that they are mutable and malleable to be made to fit alongside most any spiritual philosophy. As this guy explains it, I don't find wabi sabi to be spiritual enough to be its own religion, if that's what you're asking. Otherwise, I think it's too universally applicable to be called completely

"spiritual."