Sign in to follow this  
trekfan

Would Chakotay be a better Captain than Janeway?

Would Chakotay be a better Captain than Janeway?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would Chakotay be a better Captain than Janeway?

• Yes
    • No
    • Interesting
    • tie
    • I am goofy for making this topic

I think it would be an interesting topic to talk about. What do you think?

I myself think it might be a tie. But I think Chakotay would make a great captain just like Janeway. I am just a maquis kinda gal.

I voted "Yes" I think he would make a great Captain. Did you read the books? Did he become a Captain in the books? Oh well I still think he would.

Yeah he was Captain in Spirit Walk book. too bad he was not Captain on the series. Don't get me wrong. I love Janeway. But I am more of a Beltran fan lol

I think Janeway was the better captain. If Chakotay ever got in a situation where quick thinking was called for, he would be too busy consulting his spirit guide.......... :lol:

I said "interesting" because I don't really know. And interesting best describes what it would have been like. Not bad, not spectacular, just different :lol:

I think maybe Chakotay, I never really thought that Janeway was a great captain, she would have made a fantastic first officer though. I'm sure she's doing a pretty good job as admiral now though.

Absolutely.

I disagreed with Janeway's decisions so many times, I've lost count.

I think Chakotay, or Tuvok, either one would have made a better commanding officer.

So, of course, she takes her rightful place amongst the inept Starfleet admiralty. :)

I am surprized at how many people would go with Chakotay. Look at all the situations Janeway got out of that only she would have been able too. The only way I know how to compare this is using DND terms: In DND you can either be good, neutral, or evil. Obviously, both Chakotay and Janeway fit in the good category. However, you can also choose to be either lawfull or chaotic. Janeway is more lawfully good; She always falls backs on the rules of the federation and does "the right thing." (There are exeptions of course, as with everything except 2+2 (and even then maniacs like to disprove that)) Chakotay is more chaotic good. He does the right thing, even if it means going against the law. Even though there were probably times where Chakotay could have made good decisions, there were times that Janeway's knack for getting out of trouble were nessisary for the survival of the ship. Scorpion is a prime example of this. Heck, Seven wouldn't have even be on the ship if Janeway wasn't as persistant as she was. Even though Chakotay wasn't against her in this situation, when Species 8472 was imitating humans, Janeway stuck with her morals and was eventually able to negotiate between the species.

Edit: I forgot "The Void" Where Janeway was able to use her negotiating skills to create a "mini alliance" between ships, and that's how they escape. I doubt Chakotay would have been able to think of that.

Now, this isn't saying I don't like Chakotay. He's a cool character, and i do like how he thinks. And he does have a lot of interesting ideas.

Long story short, I believe that voyager would not have made it home without Janeway (and no, i'm not talking about the Janeway who comes from the future to bring Voyager home.)

Edited by BorgAssimilator

No way.

Janeway is a born leader, alas same with Chakotay.

I just think the Janeway has more respect.

Don't ask me why, but I just think that

I myself think it might be a tie. But I think Chakotay would make a great captain just like Janeway. I am just a maquis kinda gal.

359246[/snapback]

I think that the Chakotay of Season 1 was too much of a hothead to be a good Captain. By Season 4 I would say that he was just as good if not better then Janeway.

I am surprized at how many people would go with Chakotay. Look at all the situations Janeway got out of that only she would have been able too.

360058[/snapback]

-of course one could argue that Chakotay would never have gotten Voyager stuck in the Delta quadrant to begin with...

Would Chakotay really have been in such a hurry to get back to the Alpha Quadrant? Remember, Starfleet was hunting the Maquis. Chakotay, Torres, and the others got a good deal being on Voyager in the Delta Quadrant while the Maquis were being wiped out... though they would have chosen to die with their comrades, I'm betting they're all pardoned upon returning to the AQ. Especially since they've all learned or relearned the values that make a good Starfleet officer, and are good Starfleet officers themselves, if a bit rougish.

I would have to say no. Chakotay would have made a fine Captain, and Janeway is better suited for the position of Admiral than Captain, but given the circumstances, I thought Janeway was the best choice for Captain on that ship. I have no doubt about that.

Sorry, but Tuvok would have made a terrible Captain. Unless the whole crew were Vulcans, Romulans, androids, and holograms. Vulcans are excellent at most things, but their patience with Humans and other "lesser" races is not one of them. Tuvok had a lot of good qualities, and he was OK to lead here and there, but for the whole trip? No way. Now, Harry Kim was a bit immature on Voyager, but he would have matured into an excellent Captain (and this played out, in one episode).

By the time Voyager first got in contact with Starfleet, the Maquis were completely wiped out by the Cardassians and Dominion.

Interesting,yes.If Janeway would have been killed in Caretaker,I think that he would have made a good Captain and we all would have excepted him .with open arms.

Janeway lives and did a great job as a Captain,so I must say that she made a more interesting and better leader than Chakotay.

H200

its just nature Men are better at everything then Women so yes

:P

LOL

Like to live dangerously don't ya’. :yahoo:

its just nature Men are better at everything then Women so yes

:yahoo:

LOL

Sounds Reasonable............... :P

I think if Chakotay was Captain, Voyager might have a better chance to have a higher rating.... so yes

359246[/snapback]

I think that the Chakotay of Season 1 was too much of a hothead to be a good Captain. By Season 4 I would say that he was just as good if not better then Janeway.

I agree that the type of leader Chakotay would have been was influenced by his working as a federation officer under Janeway. I voted no because I think Janeway is slightly stronger. But Chakotay, after having been influenced by Janeway, would also make a great captain.

I disagree. Chakotay is much more of a stronger person than Janeway. Don't get me wrong, I still adore Janeway. I just lean more towards Chakotay because he would make a better Captain.

"of course one could argue that Chakotay would never have gotten Voyager stuck in the Delta quadrant to begin with..."

LOL!!! This made my night

B) :borg2::spock: