Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

New System of a Down song "Question!"

When hearing the new System of a Down single "Question!" on the radio, do you think of Major Kira on DS9?

The line Sweet berries ready for two ghosts are no different than you starts the song and is repeated three other times... well, the way the guy pronounces "berries" comes out sounding almost like "Neris" (Nerys?). There might be a "b" rather than an "n" sound, but I don't pick it up. I asked my girlfriend what she thought they were saying, but she had already looked up the lyrics online and knew what it was. I was hoping to get the perspective of someone who didn't know what he was saying, and had never heard Kira's first (actually last, Bajoran names are Japanese style) name.

Very strange... When I hear it I can't help but hear "Sweet Neris" and chuckle...

Well, you certainly have peaked my interest! I want to hear that song myself and see how similar the words sound..

I suppose it's different if you know what he's saying ahead of time. Or if you're familiar with whatever accent he's using. Though I'm not sure it's an accent so much as being cracked-out... :P Or, in my girlfriend's case, if you've never heard the name Nerys before.

If you don't... with me anyway... when I hear something I can't make out, my mind suggests the closest thing it can find... and the way he pronounces "berries" in that song, particularly the second half of the word, comes out more like Nerys than Berries... it's the abruptness of his pronounciation.