Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Repeated Use of the Same Actors

Do you think it adds to or detracts from the Star Trek Universe to keep using the same actors in different roles.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it adds to or detracts from the Star Trek Universe to keep using the same actors in different roles.

• It adds to the series/Star Trek Universe
    • It detracts from the series/Star Trek Universe

I don't know about you, but sometimes I am a little disappointed when I recognise an actor playing a different role from their usual role in Star Trek.

For example: Jeffrey Coombs playing so many different roles across the series. Don't get me wrong he does a great job!

Sometimes I wonder what a new actor could do with the new character if they were given the chance to apply their skills in the episodes.

This issue has only become apparent to me lately as I am watching boxed sets from DS9 and TNG.

Share your thoughts. :veryangry:

it doesn't bother me at all to see familiar faces portray different roles. It really does show the actors range in the acting ability to play so many different roles. Sometimes I can't even tell it's the same person unless I recognize the face or voice.

I like it. I always enjoyed seeing Jeffrey Combs popping up in the different shows. DS9 and definately 'Enterprise' wouldn't have been the same without him.

Considering how many trek fans there are, why not let some fresh faces show up, I would of enjoyed that more, or maybe in the future we just evolved to look the same

I don't mind. I've enjoyed seeing Jeffrey Combs doing different characters. The others I don't even notice that much.

It would only bother me if an actor played two or more recurring characters in the same series - which I don't know that anyone has done. If they did the make-up was enough I didn't recognize them.

It would only bother me if an actor played two or more recurring characters in the same series - which I don't know that anyone has done.  If they did the make-up was enough I didn't recognize them.

357846[/snapback]

Jeffrey Coombs played both Brunt and Weyoun, both recurring roles (appearing as both in Dogs of War DS9, I believe). He then later had another recurring role as Shran, who apparently would have been a regular in season 5, had Enterprise reached season 5. That comes directly from Manny Coto.

It would only bother me if an actor played two or more recurring characters in the same series - which I don't know that anyone has done.  If they did the make-up was enough I didn't recognize them.

357846[/snapback]

Jeffrey Coombs played both Brunt and Weyoun, both recurring roles (appearing as both in Dogs of War DS9, I believe). He then later had another recurring role as Shran, who apparently would have been a regular in season 5, had Enterprise reached season 5. That comes directly from Manny Coto.

357937[/snapback]

Yeah, Jeffrey Combs is one of my favorites and if you didn't know it you'd never know it was him as both characters. He played 3 different DS9 characters but only 2 of them were recurring. The third was as "Tiron" in the season 3 episode "Meridian"

240x320.jpg

He also played 2 characters in Enterprise, Shran and Krem. Krem was a Ferengi in season 1's "Aquisition", in the below pic he's on the right.

240x320.jpg

Here's another. Voyager's Ethan Phillips (Neelix) plays a Ferengi in the TNG episode "Menage a Troi". I haven't seen the TNG episode in question, so I don't know how obvious it is.

It doesn't bother me at all. I haven't voted, since I don't feel it added to or detracted from the franchise much.

It does however show a limitation, as there are plenty of actors out there that they did not need to double up roles as they did. Were all of the Trek actors so talented that they were so much better than other actors, that the producers were so hard-pressed to fill roles, that they had to double up? That's the question it presents me... but it doesn't really bother me.

I Don't Really Mind It As Much.....As It's Always A Pleasure To See Jeffrey Combs Play Anyone.

"The Founders Are Gods...Pinkskin!"

358637[/snapback]

Well, you don't really see him but he is absolutely dynamite as The Question in Justice League Unlimited (the best animated show on TV IMO). The Question is a conspiracy nut with a mask that makes it look like he has no face and Coombs plays him perfectly.

Two of my favourite Question moments.

Supergirl: "What do you do, go through my trash?"

The Question: "Don't be ridiculous. (beat) I go through everyone's trash."

and

Green Arrow: "Is everything in your world part of some nefarious plot?" (not an exact quote).

Question: "Your's too, you just don't realize it."