Sign in to follow this  
siddigfan

"Subatoi"?

I'm really curious as to why 'Subatoi' was chosen for Julian's middle name. What language is it (Sudanese?) and what does it mean? What is it supposed to signify (is it an ancestral name of the Bashir family)? Who chose this name for the character and why? Any facts or musings out there would be welcome.

Many Thanks!

Siddigfan

The name originates from the Middle East as far as I know. I'm fairly sure it's Arabic.

Found a little reference to the name on a Kabal website. Hope this is of some interest to you.

Subatoi

:laugh: Dang!!! You can't know how much I've missed this site! My computer's been down and I've suffered serious Internet Withdrawal. Happy 40th Birthday to Alexander Siddig!!! Read a fanfic recently where the author suggested for her story that Subatoi may be Julian's mother's maiden name. Still looking for new answers on this one as it involves a story I'd like to write. In one DS9 Episode I recall that Julian wondered if Lt. Whatley (spelling?) on Kirk's Enterprise, could be his great-grandmother and that he might be in a paradox because no one knew who his great-grandfather really was and he could be his own grandfather if he 'scored' with Lt. Whatley (he didn't as far as anyone knows--too busy hunting for tribble bombs!) THAT's not MY story but it may open up interesting avenues for others to pursue. Anyway, thanks for any and all help I can get on this one. Love, Siddigfan