Sign in to follow this  
who

SMALLVILLE

Michael Rosenbaum is leaving Smallville, but...

Warner Bros. has just sent us the following joint statement from "Smallville" Executive Producers Darren Swimmer, Todd Slavkin, Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson; The CW Network; and Warner Bros. Television regarding Michael Rosenbaum's departure from "Smallville":

"It has been an honor and pleasure to work with Michael for the past seven seasons. He is one of the best actors on television and has never failed to bring a new layer to the character of Lex Luthor in every episode. While Michael won't be a series regular and we won't have the pleasure of working with him on a weekly basis this fall, we like to think that we haven't seen the last of Lex Luthor. Stay tuned."

Details for Season 8:

Additionally, two new villains will join the cast of characters on "Smallville" this season: the legendary, unstoppable Doomsday, and a female antagonist who will challenge Clark in ways never before imagined. Casting is underway for both roles.

Doomsday: In season eight, Clark will face his ultimate challenge with the appearance of the legendary, unstoppable destroyer Doomsday, who appears on "Smallville" for the first time. As comic book fans know, Doomsday is notorious for being the only character in the DC Comics universe to have killed Superman.

Female villain: Doomsday won't be Clark's only nemesis in the upcoming season. The executive producers are tight-lipped about a new female villain they will be introducing, but they can say she will be familiar to many fans and will set her sights on Clark in ways Lex never could. Intelligent, brilliantly manipulative, and dangerously sinister, our gorgeous new villain has one more weapon in her arsenal: Her mutual attraction with Clark may prove to be as deadly as kryptonite for him.

Doomsday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a letter to Smallville fans from Michael himself

Dear Smallville Fans,

Well, it's been seven wonderful years. Your support is what has made Smallville so successful, and I appreciate you all more than you know.

That being said, it is time for me to start the next chapter of my life and career. I hope that I gave you some enjoyment over the years, and that you found my portrayal of Lex Luthor to be satisfying. I am truly grateful, as Smallville fans are the best fans out there. I sincerely hope that you will continue to follow my career through my hair growth period and beyond.

I'm very excited about what the future holds, but certainly, Smallville will always be a part of me. I will definitely miss the greatest crew in the world, and the wonderful cast that has been like a family to me.

Thank you Al and Miles for creating the show. Thank you writers, producers, directors and editors. Thanks Tollin, Robbins and Davola for being there for the pilot. Thank you Peter Roth for employing me for ten years. Lisa Lewis, I miss you already. John Glover, thanks for helping me feel more comfortable touching other actors, while acting. Bizarre, but helpful.

Mostly, I want to thank Greg Beeman for directing the "Oh Sherry" video, by Steve Perry, back in the 80's.

Thanks crew. Thanks fans. Thanks Smallville.

I love you all,

Michael Rosenbaum

Edited by The Kryptonian

I wonder if we will ever see Rosenbaum again? So many of these actors leave hit shows just to act in one failure after another. They never appreciate what they have until they leave. Terry Farrell doing anything lately?..... B)

Doomsday - I'm kind of skeptical about this but we'll see. How much you want to bet the character looks nothing like Doomsday? They would have to CGI him.

I'm with you, I doubt Doomsday will look like his comic self. I didn't mind Martian Manhunter looking human on Smallville since he has the ability to shape shift. Maybe they will get a cool actor like James who plays Brainiac

Summary for tomorrow's episode

Lex is attacked by a cloaked stranger who carves kryptonian symbols into his chest

Remember, Robert Picardo makes a guest appearance on the show

The cover for the Seventh Season of Smallville has finally been released! I love the cover art. It's Clark and Kara standing in the Fortress of Solitude. The release date hasn't been announced, but most are guessing it will be released in September in the US. You can see the pic below

dvdcoveryk7.jpg

and here is a pic of Picardo from the episode tonight

dvdcover2if5.jpg

Edited by The Kryptonian

I thought Picardo's performance was really Flat, Tonights show should be good, I will be watching it in between the Pens game

Last night's episode was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It definitely gets a 5 star rating from me. We find out that Chloe being fired from the Daily Planet left a spot open for Clark Kent! They finally end the Lana/Clark relationship and Lois is starting to show signs that she is starting to have a thing for Clark. The Brainiac fight was awesome and so was the confrontation of Lex and Clark at the Fortress of Solitude. Awesome awesome awesome. It's just a great end and a really good cliff hanger.

TV Guide reports that Allison Mack has come through the other side of tough negotiations and settled a deal to return as Chloe Sullivan for the 8th season of "Smallville"...

Although the specifics of the new contract -- which was signed just hours ago -- are being kept under wraps, I'm told it calls for Mack to appear in all episodes produced next season. As I reported earlier this week, the actress' reps were (wisely) using the imminent departure of Smallville vet Michael Rosenbaum as leverage in the negotiations. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the strategy paid off.

Finally some good news for fans of the show.

In other "Smallville" news, TV Guide's Michael Ausiello also reports that Justin Hartley may be returning as Green Arrow next season after his CW drama pilot, Austin Golden Hour, failed to receive a pick-up this week.

Other news I read was that next season may not be the end, and they may decide Smallville needs a season 9

I'm really surprised that Allison Mack was holding out. Surely she realizes that she will never again get a sweet deal like she has on Smallville. She's not exactly a supermodel. After the show ends, the rest of her career will consist of bit parts and appearing at conventions. She should enjoy what she has now.

The season ender of Smallville was really good. I'm confused about Kara though. Is she still on Krypton in the past or did she go back in time just to be blown up like everyone else? I like the fact that Lana is gone. She is such a drain on the show.

Once again they break with comics canon by letting Lex find out that Clark is the traveller. In the comics, Luthor has yet to figure out that Clark is Superman. Since Rosenbaum won't be around much next season, I imagine that the "Traveller" storyline will be wrapped up really quickly next season.

Kara is in the Phantom Zone.

I'm curious how they are going to explain the "Lex know who Clark is" storyline as well. Somehow, you know that Lex will eventually forget. Maybe when the Fortress begins to collapse, a beam hits him and knocks him out/making him forget. Another possibility is that Lex knows that he is "the traveler", but won't connect him to be Superman. Also, it could be that Clark is going to use the machine that Zor-El used in the past to erase people's memories and everyone will forget what they knew. Don't know, but like you said, it will probably be resolved early next season.

E! Online's "Watch with Kristin" has some interesting details on the 8th season of "Smallville" regarding Laura Vandervoort and a possible relationship between Lois Lane and Doomsday...

Is Laura Vandervoort really out of Smallville next season, or is it still up in the air? I really like her, and they could have done so much more with her!

I'm told she isn't going to be a regular, but they're hoping she'll be able to return and guest star in an episode or two. Meanwhile, if you're a Laura Vandervoort fan, hang in there for Into the Blue 2. Audrina from The Hills, who has a small part in the movie, is getting all the press, but Laura's the lead!

Any scoop on Doomsday from Smallville?

Looks like Davis Bloome aka Doomsday is forming quite an interesting relationship with one Miss Lois Lane! Sources tell me the first time we meet Davis is when he is attempting to pick up Lois at Ace of Clubs. Still, don't expect things to get too steamy between the couple - I'm also hearing that Davis Bloome is something of a Jekyll and Hyde.

Meanwhile, according to KryptonSite.com, "Smallville: The Complete Seventh Season" DVD Box Set and Blu-ray Disc collections will be released on September 9th in the U.S.

Green Arrow Will Be A Regular Next Season

The CW has announced that Justin Hartley will join "Smallville" in Season 8 as a cast regular in the role of Green Arrow.

Hartley had been hoping to star in his own TV series titled "Austin Golden Hour", but while the pilot episode was shot the series wasn't picked up, opening the door for Hartley to return to "Smallville".

E! Online reports that the storyline for Green Arrow will focus on "Oliver's past and where he comes from as opposed to his Green alter ego."

The report also claims that Kristin Kreuk (Lana Lang) will return for 6 or 7 episodes only, however negotiations are still ongoing.

Wizard Magazine #201, cover-dated July 2008, has a report speculating on what’s in store for the eighth season of “Smallville” following the departure of the show’s original executive producers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. Most of the information is speculative at best, suggesting that the new producers could potentially abandon Gough’s and Millar’s original show edict of “no flights, no tights.”

The article also suggests that the eighth season could be the show’s last because series star Tom Welling’s contract runs up after year eight. That, combined with a slight ratings slip, according to the article, makes it “conceivable that the farm boy will finally take his fateful flight to Metropolis after next season.”

Official “Smallville” Press Release Regarding Doomsday and Tess

Rocked by the mysterious death of Lionel Luthor and the sudden disappearance of his son, Lex, the town of Smallville will be put further on edge this fall with the arrival of two new villains, as Sam Witwer ("Battlestar Galactica") and Cassidy Freeman ("Finishing the Game: The Search for a New Bruce Lee") join the cast of "Smallville" (Thursdays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on The CW) as series regulars for the hit show's eighth season.

Witwer will play Davis Bloome, a charismatic Metropolis paramedic who - when he isn't saving people - is forced to confront a burgeoning darkness inside of him that just might be a harbinger of doom.

Freeman will play Tess Mercer. Handpicked by Lex Luthor to succeed him before he vanished, Tess arrives in Smallville as acting CEO of LuthorCorp. Beneath her mysterious allure lies a cunning ruthlessness to match her mentor's.

"We're thrilled that Sam and Cassidy will be joining the cast, and we have some very exciting things in store for them, their characters and 'Smallville' fans for this season," said executive producers Kelly Souders, Brian Peterson, Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer in a joint statement. "They are both incredibly talented performers, and we cannot wait to begin to work with them."

Best known for his role as Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo on the acclaimed series "Battlestar Galactica," Witwer is also featured in the forthcoming "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" video game. His previous credits include "Stephen King's The Mist" (written and directed by Frank Darabont) and guest-starring roles on a number of series, including "Dexter," "Cold Case," "Enterprise," "Angel," "Dark Angel" and "ER," among many others.

Freeman previously appeared in the feature film "Finishing the Game: The Search for a New Bruce Lee," which debuted at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival in 2007. Her other television and motion picture credits include a guest-starring role on "Cold Case," the made-for-television movie "An Accidental Christmas," the independent film "Shades of Gray," and shorts "Clock" and "Razor Sharp," among others.

From Tollin/Robbins Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, "Smallville" is executive produced by Kelly Souders, Brian Peterson, Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer. SUPERMAN was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

So, Tess Mercer is going to be Smallville's version of Mercy Graves? I hope so, it's better than the Miss Tessmacher theory

Next season is starting to sound really interesting

TVGuide.com has posted an article about the up-coming 8th season of "Smallville", with some interesting spoilers...

This season's theme is "double identities," [Kelly] Souders says. "It's about the Superman identity emerging as Clark Kent tries to maintain a normal life - or the appearance of a normal life." To that end, he takes a job at the "Daily Planet," right across the desk from Lois Lane (Erica Durance).

"The camaraderie as they work side-by-side that everyone loves from the DC Comics and all the Superman lore is going to come to fruition this year," Souders says. "The two of them are thrown together in some unfortunate situations for Clark. She becomes a little bit of an obstacle to him saving the world, when he's on a deadline."

It started with Jonathan Kent working the farm. Then he died and it was Martha and Clark working the farm. Then she mysteriously left and it was just Clark working the farm. I guess now it will be the Superman robots working the farm....... :bag:

probably Kara. If it is anything like Chloe, he will probably still live in Smallville and travel to the Planet every day. It is three hours away, but he's Superman and can get there in a minute or less

Newsarama.com has published an interview with Darren Swimmer, one of the new Executive Producers on "Smallville", in which he discusses all the changes for Season 8 and what fans can expect. Here's an excerpt from the interview...

Q: Let's shift then to the new season Big Bad - Davis "Doomsday" Bloome played by Sam Witwer. He's such an important villain in the comics (Superman's killer) but was he an easy choice to bring into Smallville?

DS: Part of what excited the four of us to bring Doomsday into the show was the fact that he has no previously established Earthly alter ego in the comics. Davis Bloome will be very different from the Doomsday we've seen in the comics. Especially at first. We thought it would be interesting to see the human side of a character that had very little humanity in the comics. Sam Witwer is tremendously talented, and we're all really thrilled to begin working with him.

Q: How's he going to mess up Clark's life this year?

DS: Doomsday did kill Superman in the comics, so Clark better be on his toes.

Q: Tess Mercer, played by Cassidy Freeman, is also heading to Smallville as Lex's handpicked minion for LuthorCorp. It's great having female adversaries in the mix so what's she bringing to the creative pot for the writers?

DS: The fact that we can play romantic tension between our main villain and several of the other characters gives us a different deck of cards to play with. She'll be interested in Clark, but for entirely different reasons than Lex was. Cassidy Freeman really brings the role to life, so it's been exciting to write for her.

Read the complete interview at Newsarama.com

here are the DVD extras that will be included with season seven of Smallville

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:

Supergirl: The Last Daughter of Krypton Featurette - The definitive documentary covering the Supergirl character first popularized in the pages of DC Comics, and later manifested in a feature film, animation, and finally Smallville.

Jimmy on Jimmy Featurette - Aaron Ashmore (Smallville's Jimmy Olson) meets with Marc McClure (1980s Superman The Movie Jimmy Olson) who meets with Jack Larson (Jimmy from the 1950's The Adventures of Superman), and Sam Huntington (Superman Returns Jimmy) to create a fun "roundtable" of the Jimmys each chatting about their favorite subject of playing the role of Jimmy Olson!

Smallville Legends Mobisodes Gallery - Computer animated short films covering the back-story of Kara Zor-El (aka Supergirl)

Cast & Creator Commentaries - includes Executive Producers Alfred Gough & Miles Millar, and cast members John Glover & Justin Hartley. Comic Book

Unaired Scenes

All of the extras sound amazing! I can't wait to see that Supergirl documentary. Jimmy on Jimmy also sounds really cool

"Smallville" has received an Emmy nomination for "Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series" for the Season 7 episode "Bizarro".

SMALLVILLE - "Bizarro"

Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television

Michael E. Lawshe, Supervising Sound Editor

Norval 'Charlie' Crutcher III, Supervising ADR Editor

Jessica Dixon, Dialogue Editor

Marc Meyer, Supervising Sound Effects Editor

Timothy Cleveland, Sound Effects Editor

Paul Diller, Sound Effects Editor

Albert Gomez, Sound Effects Editor

Casey Crabtree, Foley Artist

Michael Crabtree, Foley Artist

Chris McGeary, Music Editor

Smallville Scoop, Part 1: Chloe's Challenges and More!

Allison Mack and Tom Welling in Smallville by Michael Courtney/The CWThere's so much Smallville action coming up in Season 8 (premiering Sept. 18, at 8 pm/ET) that TVGuide.com broke its Q&A with three of the executive producers into two parts. First up, Darren Swimmer shares a look at new developments for Chloe, ponders Clark's heritage, and hints at more guest stars from other Superman productions. — Michael Maloney

TVGuide.com: Fans are thrilled that Allison Mack (Chloe) is back this season. With Lana no longer a regular character on the canvas, might the door open for a Clark/Chloe romance?

Darren Swimmer: Jimmy has asked Chloe to marry him. We'll find out the answer to that question early on in the season. Chloe's love for Clark will never go away, but [those two] as a couple this year is pretty unlikely. All the "Chlark" fans out there will have to keep waiting.

TVGuide.com: Chloe has always been Clark's "go to" person when things get tough.

Swimmer: And that will continue. There are some changes ahead for her and some challenges she's going to face. There are also some romantic twists she'll deal with this year. She's definitely not going to be wanting for a date — [but] it may not be Clark.

TVGuide.com: Will we continue to see Chloe's meteor-freak powers?

Swimmer: She has powers, but they've changed. They won't manifest in the same way that they did before.

TVGuide.com: Chloe has struck such a chord with viewers that there's even fan fiction out there that has Lois dying and Chloe taking her cousin's name so that she would wind up becoming the woman in Clark's life.

Swimmer: Yes. There is that theory that Chloe is Lois, but she is not Lois. Lois is Lois, as crazy as that may seem. We hear the fans and we understand where that comes from. But unfortunately, it's not the way that the show is going.

TVGuide.com: Are you influenced by fan response on the Internet?

Swimmer: We definitely hear what the fans say and we can't help but be influenced by it, but I don't think that we're guided by it in the sense that we let it dictate anything, obviously. I don't think that fans would necessarily want that either. But we read it and we're in touch with what the fans are saying. They're our core fans. I think sometimes when somebody says they don't like something they still may find it entertaining, so we have to gauge how much of that is a response to the characters or a response to the way the story is being told.

TVGuide.com: Little touches like Chloe giving Jimmy a bowtie are a nice nod to fans who are familiar with the comic.

Swimmer: Yes. It's a year of challenges that Jimmy's going to have to go through. Chloe's going to have to go through them. Clark will, too. It's the year of "double identity." That's the theme. Clark's starting to understand he's got to have a double identity or he's not going to be able to move on with what his destiny is.

TVGuide.com: Might we see Clark with trademark dark-rimmed glasses?

Swimmer: No. [Pauses] Well, we may, but it won't be in the way that [you might expect].

TVGuide.com: We saw lots of Clark's Kryptonian background last year with his cousin Kara, mother Lara and Uncle Zor-El. Will we be seeing more of that influence this year?

Swimmer: I think we're moving away from the Kryptonian story. Last year we focused a lot on that and aspects of Clark's past. Clark can't escape his Kryptonian roots and that's definitely going to come back and haunt him this season, but this year will be more about moving forward with his destiny as becoming Superman in a way that we've never done before.

TVGuide.com: Helen Slater, Dean Cain, Margot Kidder.… So many actors from other Superman film and TV adaptations have guest-starred on Smallville. Do you have a wish list for this season?

Swimmer: Well, there's very few people left at this point [we haven't used]. We'd love to bring some of them back, but it's too early to talk in terms of scheduling. We're grateful to have had a chance to have all these great actors visit our show.

TVGuide.com: You're going into Season 8. Does it feel like there's no end in sight?

Swimmer: It's too soon to say. Eventually, Clark is going to become Superman, but he still has a ways to go before that happens. As long as the show keeps going, we want to see [his journey] continue.

Later this week, in Part 2: Smallville exec producers Brian Peterson and Todd Slavkin talk about the other friends (Lana!) and foes (Lex!) in Clark's life, and what their roles will be in Season 8.

Entertainment Weekly's "Ask Ausiello" column reveals plenty of "Smallville" spoilers this week.

Any scoop on when Kristin Kreuk will be returning to Smallville?

Ausiello: Would you believe sweeps? Shocking, I know. According to exec producer Brian Wayne Peterson, who I cornered at The CW's press tour party last week, Kreuk's five-episode stint as Lana will kick off in early November. "She'll come back at a very inopportune time for Clark," he hints. In the meantime, while Ms. Lang's off "giving Clark some space," the man who would be Super will be growing closer to Lois. "They'll be working together this year at Daily Planet," Peterson says, "and some friction is going to come out of that." Not to mention several winks to classic Superman lore - beginning in the season premiere. Teases Peterson: "There might be a phone booth moment between the two of them."

Now that Al Gough and Miles Millar are gone from Smallville, will the new show-runners amend their "No flights, no tights" policy?

Ausiello: Um… hell, yeah! "We are respecting everything that Al and Miles have set up," offers Peterson, choosing his words carefully. "All I'll say is we can definitely guarantee that there are no tights."

Any other scoop about Smallville?

Ausiello: Obviously, I wasn't going to cut Peterson lose without asking him about Smallville's most celebrated non-couple, Clark and Chloe. "We definitely touch on [her feelings for him]," he says. Adds fellow EP Todd Slavkin: "They've been best friends for a long time, and Clark would never get in the way of her pursuing her happiness. But oftentimes, feelings have a way of creeping in. That's all we'll say." Um, you've said more than enough, my friend. More than enough!

Intersting, but it did get under my skin a little bit that he is excited with the "no tights, no flights" policy of Miles and Al. Everyone is waiting for the episode when he becomes Superman, have they forgotten what the series is about? I'll be sad if they never connect the dots from Clark to Superman. So far, they seem to be doing pretty good, but lets hope they don't stop too soon or don't go far enough

Clark should have been flying at least two seasons ago. Why did he gain all of his other powers in such a short amount of time but not flight? Makes no sense.

Part 2 of the TV Guide Smallville Interview

Kristin Kreuk, Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum by Timothy White/The CWIn Part 2 of TVGuide.com's Smallville preview, exec producers Brian Peterson and Todd Slavkin give their take on Season 8 (which arrives Sept. 18) by talking about the return of Green Arrow and offering an update on important people in Clark's life (Lex, Lana and Martha included). Plus: Which DC Universe players you will — and won't — be seeing this year. — Michael Maloney

TVGuide.com: How did the WGA strike affect your storytelling last season?

Brian Peterson: We were only short two episodes; we did 20 out of the 22 [originally planned]. We actually got to complete most of our storylines that we set, especially the dynamics with Clark and Lex and also Lex and Lionel, including the final turn of Lex killing his father.

TVGuide.com: It was tough seeing John Glover leave, because he made such a great Lionel.

Todd Slavkin: John's a great actor and a great man — we miss him dearly — but it was always in the cards that Lex murdering his father would aid in his descent into evil. [Original show runners] Al [Gough] and Miles [Millar] had always had that idea. Still, it was tough to do.

TVGuide.com: I was telling Justin Hartley that I hope his return to the show as a regular means more Oliver and Lois. It's a successful pairing, even though it's outside the comic-books' mythos.

Peterson: Al and Miles really set up a show in which every character and every situation has a slight twist to it from the mythos, much like the different versions of the comic books do. We really pay attention to the mythos, but then try to put a spin on it. This year, we're introducing Davis Bloome (Battlestar Galactica's Sam Witwer) as Doomsday [the comic book villain that "killed" Superman in 1992], and we have a completely different take on it. As the season goes by, people will find he's very much in line with the mythology.

TVGuide.com: But Doomsday won't have the concrete jagged edges coming out of his body?

Slavkin: It's a reimagination and a reinvention. We didn't want to take a character straight out of the comics, just as Al and Miles took Lex and created their very own version, which, in our minds, is the best version of any Lex Luthor in the history of the Superman folklore. We're doing the same thing with Doomsday. So while we definitely make a nod to the original, this is our own. I think the fans will be pleasantly excited.

TVGuide.com: What can you say about the statuses of Kristin Kreuk (Lana) and Michael Rosenbaum (Lex)? I have to say, Michael makes every actor he's in a scene with a better one.

Peterson: Michael is fantastic. His rendition of Lex Luthor helped make the show what it is today. Obviously, we were very sad to see him go. He's pursuing his own interests and we're hoping the door is definitely open for him to return. We've not seen the last of Lex Luthor.

Slavkin: Kristin will return for at least five episodes this season. [Lana] will appear at an inopportune time for Clark. We don't want to give away when it will happen, but it's going to be an awesome moment in the history of Smallville when Kristin Kreuk comes back.

TVGuide.com: Great casting with Black Canary last year. And her "Canary cry" was well-done, special effects-wise.

Peterson: Alaina [Huffman] is great and she's a big part of the season premiere. This is a year in which Clark is really embracing being a superhero and his double identity, but at the same time some of his friends in the Justice League are thrown into crises of their own. It's going to be an interesting year as Clark grows into himself.

TVGuide.com: What about Impulse and Cyborg? Tom Welling easily taps into Clark's protective side whenever he plays big brother to Impulse.

Slavkin: Clark's such a great role model. He has a sense of integrity about himself that he always passes on to young characters. The actors who play Impulse and Cyborg are phenomenal and we'd love to have them back sometime. In the premiere it's an incarnation of the Justice League that you've yet to see: Black Canary, Green Arrow and Aquaman (Alan Ritchson). The three of them are all searching for the missing Clark.

Peterson: That takes an interesting twist, too.

TVGuide.com: Annette O'Toole's Martha is a vital element in Clark's life. Might she be back?

Peterson: We're hoping. We actually have a very interesting idea for bringing her back. We hope it comes to fruition.

Slavkin: She's on Broadway right now [in Kindness], so if we can fit her into our schedule that would be great. She's a character we miss dearly because Ma Kent, like Pa Kent, has had such an impact on Clark.

TVGuide.com: Have we seen the last of Supergirl/Kara (Laura Vandervoort)?

Slavkin: She'll be back for a show, we hope.

TVGuide.com: Has DC said no to Bruce Wayne ever appearing on Smallville? Apparently, there's this movie out now featuring Batman....

Slavkin: It's a rights issue.

Peterson: We are going to have several DC Comics characters on the show this season. We have Maxima coming. Also, Plastique is going to be in Episode 2 [played by Jessica Parker Kennedy]. She has flame/explosive powers.

Slavkin: There's nothing better than to have an intergalactic sex goddess — Maxima — come into the DC Universe and have her try to mate with Clark.

TVGuide.com: How about for an episode introducing a beautiful blond telepath, a dark-haired guy with magnetic powers and a reddish-brown haired guy with lightning powers to play the founding members of the Legion of Superheroes?

Peterson: [Exchanging a look with Slavkin] We haven't thought about that actually. Hmm....

Here is an article from E! Online about Doomsday in season 8 of Smallville. Sounds exciting!!

Boy, Sam Witwer sure does give good genre. First he was pilot Crashdown on Battlestar Galactica, and now he'll be taking on Superman himself in season eight of Smallville. According to Witwer, his newly introduced regular character, Davis "Doomsday" Bloome, starts out as a good guy (who has designs on Ms. Chloe herself), but before too long his romantic quest is interrupted by waking nightmares that bode not well for Chloe, Davis, Clark or Metropolis at large. Read on to hear what Samuel had to say about working with Allison Mack, creating Bloome's dark side and why Doomsday is unique in the pantheon of Superman villains.

Explain Doomsday to all those out there who might not know who he is.

Doomsday is a significant character in D.C. Comics mythology because he is the only character to kill Superman. They came up with him because they were like, OK, Lex Luthor is really smart, he's great, and they have all these other villains, like Brainiac, but no one can actually get into a knock-down-drag-out with Superman. So they came up with this invulnerable character, who was also from Krypton, called Doomsday.

Why is he evil if Superman is so nice?

Well, in our version, in our interpretation of the character, there are very specific reasons. I can't really go into them, but what I can tell you is the character's name is Davis Bloome. He's a paramedic in Metropolis, he's very good at his job, and he was raised in the foster system. He went from home to home—he's this survivor character, and he's kind of an outsider. But he's a really nice guy, really cool guy.

How is he introduced?

He's brought into the story when he strikes up a friendship with Chloe (Allison Mack) on the show. Chloe is dating Jimmy Olsen (Aaron Ashmore), so he doesn't want to step in—he's too nice of a guy to steal her. Because who wants to steal from Jimmy Olsen? Sweet little red-haired kid. Anyway, David starts losing large amounts of time. He's blacking out. He doesn't understand why.

Uh-oh.

Yeah, eventually this character will embark on a quest to find out why these blackouts are happening, and what he discovers is horrifying for the character, and hopefully horrifying for the audience. The producers, I don't know if they saw me in The Mist or in Dexter, but they approached me for the role, and they pitched a very interesting idea, and they wanted to get dark with it. Like darker than anything than anything that's been on the show. They want to get really psychologically messed up.

It must be really hard for Davis when he finds out he's a psychotic supervillain.

Yeah. There are some really cool ideas around that. What do you when you find out you are the opposite of what you ever wanted to be? If you found out you were a murderer, and you didn't know this, what would you do? By the end of the season, in Davis Bloome's case, he's going to be trying to be the same guy, but he's...distressed.

Have you worked with any of the regulars yet?

I worked with Allison Mack yesterday, and she's a sweetheart. She's sort of my contact person into the world of the characters and the story. As for how he relates to all the other characters, that remains to be seen.

How long is this arc?

I'm going to be there the whole season. We just started shooting this week, and over the course of the season, the fans will start to recognize Doomsday as he was in the comics—but at first that's not the case.

HUGE News!!! The Legion of Super-Heroes will be on the next season of Smallville!!

It was announced today at Comic-Con that the Legion of Super-Heroes is coming to TV’s “Smallville” in an episode written by current “Action Comics” writer Geoff Johns. Comic Book Resources reports that Johns’s script will remain true to Legion lore:

"I think we're going to be able to stay pretty close to the origin of these characters," said Johns. "They are from 1,000 years in the future and they'll have flight rings and code names and everything else."

According to Newsarama, Johns explained that:

"It will be written to fit with Smallville, and I think it's going to be a really fun challenge to approach the Legion in a different way. But with me, you know you're going to see Legion rings, and they're going to be as true to the core as possible. It's going to be the Legion of Super-Heroes."