• Season 7
    • It never did

Season 3. And why?

Better uniform

Return of Gates McFadden as Crusher

The roles of the crew more firmly established

Btter story writing

Brilliant Cliff hanger ending that has never been surpased

I always liked Tasha Yar but I think the series did improve when she left so season two for me.

either season two or three. Season two had some great episodes that were a lot better than what season one had so I voted for Season 2 just because they were finally starting to get it right.

I always liked Tasha Yar as well but i thought that Denise Crosby was much better as the evil Sela. It's a pity that they couldnt have drafted her in maybe as a defector or something: the Romulan crewmember that no one ever quite trusted!

Worf was the natural choice for Security Officer. I mean, who else to fire the phasers and take a prisoner to the brig? Grrrr....

Wesley Crusher was given a stronger role in Season 3 as well. And the backlit graphics and overall special effects were a lot less wobbly :/

I think there are some good episodes from both seasons 1 & 2 but season 3 was when they hit their stride. The look improved and I don't just mean the new uniforms but the way the series was shot. The stories were better. Everything just seemed to start hitting on all cylinders.

I agree that season 3 was when TNG hit its stride. Season 2 did have some great episodes, but imo season 3 was when the overall quality of stories increased. And yes, Best of Both World's was where the series became totally compelling to me.

I liked TNG right out of the gate because it had Gene style Trek written all over it, it was updated OS and I liked that about it.

I'd say it was more of a drawn-out process of hitting its stride. For me, it started late in season 2, specifically with "Q Who." There were too many good eps in that season too ignore its quality, including "The Emissary" and "Peak Performance."

It finally HIT its stride, though, in season 3.

The Ensigns of Command

Booby Trap

The Vengeance Factor

The Defector

Déjà Q

Yesterday's Enterprise

The Offspring

Captain's Holiday

Tin Man

Sarek

Ménage à Troi

and finally... The Best of Both Worlds, Part I, the episode that solidified the franchise for the seasons to come.

My vote definitely goes to season 3.

(As for when the series started to lose its stride, I'd say season 6, though there were many excellent eps in seasons 6 and 7.)

Edited by Ace