Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A "Clunker" from season 1

Regarding the glove, do you think it might be something that Worf might have kept to remember Tasha. If my memory serves me, when they beamed back to the Enterprise after Yareena was struck Tasha still had the glove on didn't she.

After seeing all the episodes for a third, fourth , fifth, etc time, I'm shocked that TNG survived after the first season or 2. When I see an old episode coming on, I wont watch it. I know the series had to develope, but here's a Tasha quote from Code of Honor. (kind of) Troi had asked her if she was attracted to the king? Was he a king? anyway..."Well, at first, I was flattered, and I...TROI, I'M YOUR FRIEND AND YOU TRICKED ME!!!!"

It just seemed like the actors were straining all of their lines.

Wesley, even though I hated his character, in the first season, he was portrayed as an immature kid. I guess I'm not being fair, but really...Think about it. The first 2 seasons were clunkers. :devil:

I will agree that they really started to hit their stride in season 3 but I wouldn't classify the whole first 2 seasons as clunkers as there were some very good episodes done then too. I have always enjoyed DataLore, The Big Goodbye, The Measure of a Man, The Emisary, Q Who and many others. I also enjoyed some of the comic touches in episodes like The Naked Now.

I think we could and probably have named a clunker episode or two from every season. Luckily for all of us the brilliant episodes out number the clunkers by a large margin.

Completely agree with you soong_girl! Every season had it's not so good episodes, but Season 1 & 2 definately were not TRUE clunkers!

Completely agree with you soong_girl! Every season had it's not so good episodes, but Season 1 & 2 definately were not TRUE clunkers!

I was only going to list one or two episodes then I started looking at the episode list for those 2 seasons and it just kept getting longer and longer.

For me the follow are ones that I sort of consider to be my clunker nominees for each season:

1 - Coming of Age

2 - Shades of Gray

3 - Transfigurations

4 - Galaxy's Child

5 - Imaginary Friend

6 - Suspicions

7 - Sub Rosa

Some are clunkier than others but it was difficult for me to find even one for each season.

And I agree with every one of those, I wouldn't change a single one!!!

Did you notice how many of the ones I picked were Bev's stories.

Even "The Inner Light", which (and I know I could get grilled for this) I found a little slow and boring, has its great merits, so I can't say I HATE it! - well, I agree. It had a good point and it was very thoughtful, but it definitely wasn't one of my favourites.

I know everyone has the right to their own opinions but I'm going to have to be the one grill you for this.. Inner Light was one of the best episodes!!! I know it wasn't the fastest passed episode but it was just such a great story! Also Patrick Stewert is my favorite all time Star Trek actor and I thought he was awesome in this one. It was neat to see him do an episode with his son also.

about the only thing in SOE that i did not like was the really fake looking blood on Tasha's face. That always bugged me. - It was a "blotch" not blood. But I agree, completely.

Was that suposed to be blood? I had always thought that it was some kind of greese stain from the tar monster. Like a mark of evil or something. I would have never thought that it was suposed to be blood.

I thought Inner Light was brilliant and Patrick Stewart was brilliant. That haunting melody that he played on the Resikan flute is so beautiful.

I liked both those episodes, though not especially Code of Honour. Skin of Evil, on the other hand, I really liked. Even though Tasha died...:bow:

Btw, which episode did you see the spiked weapon? (I want to keep my eyes open...)

Ok, after playing several episodes (I love having them all on CD) I found it and made a screen shot of it for you. The Episode is Reunion from season 4.

worf.jpg

You can see it behind them in the background. It's not a great picture, but the quality of the video isn't all that great.

Ah-hah! I see it! i wonder how they could have done that...I mean, isn't it obvious that, if the prop had already been made, it was ALREADY USED? And if it wasn't, how could they have maed the same prop twice by accident?? oh well)

After seeing all the episodes for a third, fourth , fifth, etc time, I'm shocked that TNG survived after the first season or 2. When I see an old episode coming on, I wont watch it. I know the series had to develope, but here's a Tasha quote from Code of Honor. (kind of) Troi had asked her if she was attracted to the king? Was he a king? anyway..."Well, at first, I was flattered, and I...TROI, I'M YOUR FRIEND AND YOU TRICKED ME!!!!"

It just seemed like the actors were straining all of their lines.

Wesley, even though I hated his character, in the first season, he was portrayed as an immature kid. I guess I'm not being fair, but really...Think about it. The first 2 seasons were clunkers. :devil:

There were quite a few episodes that I really liked in those seasons, but I agree with you about some of the acting (never Brent's though) especially Tasha's "I'm your friend and you tricked me" thing. I mean, first af all, how was she tricked? Second, I hate when they try and do that delayed re-action thing for commic effect - it's very rarely funny. Thirdly, HOW WAS SHE TRICKED??? (And do you think maybe they were trying to make the point that Tasha really didn't like Data? I mean, it was the episode after Naked Now and she's already attracted to someone else?? grrr. However, I'd like to believe that the virus just brought out people's secret desires - geordi to see, wesley to captain the ship, picard/crusher, troi/will and...DATA/TASHA! ha!)

There were quite a few episodes that I really liked in those seasons, but I agree with you about some of the acting (never Brent's though) especially Tasha's "I'm your friend and you tricked me" thing. I mean, first af all, how was she tricked? Second, I hate when they try and do that delayed re-action thing for commic effect - it's very rarely funny. Thirdly, HOW WAS SHE TRICKED??? (And do you think maybe they were trying to make the point that Tasha really didn't like Data? I mean, it was the episode after Naked Now and she's already attracted to someone else?? grrr. However, I'd like to believe that the virus just brought out people's secret desires - geordi to see, wesley to captain the ship, picard/crusher, troi/will and...DATA/TASHA! ha!)

The "You tricked me thing" was in Code of Honor. Here's another one...Encounter at Farpoint... screaming at Q. "You have NO idea what STARFLEET is! ...WHAT IT REPRESENTS!!!" Q wasnt talking about Starfleet. He was talking about humanity in general. I couldnt stand all her overacting...Just Tasha over quotes could be a hot topic post of its own. lol

The "You tricked me thing" was in Code of Honor. Here's another one...Encounter at Farpoint... screaming at Q. "You have NO idea what STARFLEET is! ...WHAT IT REPRESENTS!!!" Q wasnt talking about Starfleet. He was talking about humanity in general. I couldnt stand all her overacting...Just Tasha over quotes could be a hot topic post of its own. lol

The Encounter At Farpoint thing bugs me too. She starts crying and everything. I mean, I can understand why it means a lot to her but crying? Jeez. And then in Hide and Q she complains that she cries as if she never does. It's completely against what they tried to make her character out to be. Wow, this paragraph is very well written isnt' it. :bow:

The Encounter At Farpoint thing bugs me too. She starts crying and everything. I mean, I can understand why it means a lot to her but crying? Jeez. And then in Hide and Q she complains that she cries as if she never does. It's completely against what they tried to make her character out to be. Wow, this paragraph is very well written isnt' it. 

She survives that childhood on Turkana IV but cries at the drop of a hat in those episodes. I know they were trying to let us know how far she had come but if I had heard one more thing about those "rape gangs" I would have screamed.

Don't worry about screaming, soong_girl...I already DID that. When I first watched the series, I thought that of the three women, Tasha was the strongest. I still basically think that, but as I watch the first season again....I never realized how much she cried over everything. I guess I never noticed because I was the strongest girl in class, but would cry over stupid stuff (well only in Kindergarten & 1st grade, that stopped when I turned 7, coincidence....I do not know?). So I guess when I was 7 and first watched TNG, I thought that it was normal to be strong and then cry like that, I have no idea.....(Does the paragraph abouve make any sense? I am not sure of that either)

Ya it makes sense. I think that this is how it is for most people (or at least for me) - I rarely cry when I'm sad, but when I'm mad i burst into tears practically at the drop of a hat (well, that's a SLIGHT exaggeration). I guess when you're feeling helpless or completely bursting with some sort of emotion, the only non-threatening-to-other-people way to let it out is to cry...or punch the wall...

if that paragraph made any sense....

Oh well; I know what I'm talking about!

Yes it makes sense, even though from experience punching any immovable object is not a bright idea. Mine was a metal bleacher during our powder puff football game. So, in the end though Tasha overreacted in many people's mind, she was just reacting as many people would today. You did, I did(at times I still do!), and I am sure we are not alone. She had her weakness, just like everyone else in life does (fictional or not!!).

Punching objects only hurts when you're DONE being mad. It's not actually fair, really.

I remember once when I was young I was really mad and I punched a brick wall. It hurt really bad and I was still angry. Needless to say I haven't punched a brick wall since! :bow:

Fractured my hand with the bleacher incident! And never will do that ever again! So, maybe Tasha's crying tactic might be the better way out. At least, SHE didn't hurt herself crying about being put in the Penalty Box!

Actually, I thought her acting was very good in that scene. I hate crying too, especially in front of people (but what exactly did she mean when she said: **sigh* captain...if you weren't a captain..." and then Q comes? If he weren't a captain than WHAT?? Are they trying to let us know that she'd rather have ANYONE than Data?)

I hope not (about you last comment). But, maybe her remark was that of if he wasn't Captain that she would more freely speak to him as a friend. If you notice she, like so many others never spoke to him much as a friend, just talked to him as a commanding officer. I mean, in later seasons Picard seemed more accesible, or vulnerable. But season 1....he seemed over the top in toughness, maybe that is how I saw him, but he did loosen up over the series. Actually they all did, but as the years went on of course their friendships became stronger so they would seem less rigid towards each other.

I definitely agree with you Yillara, about Picard in the first few seasons. He was...well, if I were english, I supposed I'd say "he was a bit of an *buttocks*" (I'm just using that english bit as an excuse to swear). During the last few seasons, though, I think he was a great captain (my favourite's still Janeway though...discluding those times when she acted, umm, a little insane)

As well in Skin of Evil at the memorial service she said that she would have considered Picard to be a father figure if she had known what a father was like (something like that). She might have totally broken down and cried if Picard had been the father figure rather than the captain.

That is a good point, she DID mention that in Skin Of Evil! And yes I agree that she probably would have completely broken down if he was more a father figure.