Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

A "Clunker" from season 1

One of the season 1 episodes I never really liked was Code of Honor.

tng10401.jpg

The story just never grabbed me.

A side note, I noticed later in the series that the spiked hand weapon used in this episode shows up in Worfs quarters on display on his desk as if it is a Klingon weapon. Did anyone else notice that?

10403.jpg

lol! You read my mind! Here is another first season episode I do not hold in high regard...

tngep122.jpgSkin of Evil. About the side note, I never noticed it.

I liked both those episodes, though not especially Code of Honour. Skin of Evil, on the other hand, I really liked. Even though Tasha died...:lol:

Btw, which episode did you see the spiked weapon? (I want to keep my eyes open...)

I liked both those episodes, though not especially Code of Honour. Skin of Evil, on the other hand, I really liked. Even though Tasha died...:D

Btw, which episode did you see the spiked weapon? (I want to keep my eyes open...)

I thought you were going to say Skin of Evil because Tasha dies. :lol: I like Denise Crosby better as Sela than Tasha. She seems to overact quite a bit in season 1.

I can't think of an episode that I really don't like from season 1. It is more parts of various episodes compared to the whole episode. An example is We'll Always Have Paris. The love angle between Picard and that scientist's wife could have been left out and it would not have affected the quality of the overall episode.

I liked both those episodes, though not especially Code of Honour. Skin of Evil, on the other hand, I really liked. Even though Tasha died...:lol:

I want to say it's from Rightful Heir but I have to get that episode out and confirm that. If my memory is correct it can be seen in Worf's quarters when Cpt. Picard comes to see him and tells him to take a leave and get his priorities set. It is possible it is also in tonights episode of Fistful Of Datas. Look for it when Alexander and Worf are discussing going into the Ancient West program. Possibly also near the end when Worf puts his hat on and pulls his Finger Gun out while looking in the mirror.

i thought code of honour sucked, but skin of evil was a great episode, despite the really dated looking sfx. it was a really compelling story

(however skin of evil used to be my most hated episodes of them all, now i like it!)

Well, I haven't seen rightful heir yet, but I'll watch out tonight.

About Skin of Evil - I have a love/hate relationship with that episode, so usually I just fast-forward the part when she dies.

lol! You read my mind! Here is another first season episode I do not hold in high regard...

I hate this episode! It was the first Star Trek episode I ever watch and, since i was about 7, it freaked me away from Star Trek for the next 4 years!

Looking back I wonder if TNG would have been as good with her as it was with her. It's hard to judge since she was only there the first year (as Tasha). I do think she over acted at times, and I also think Worf was better suited for the role as head of security.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Denise Crosby originally go out for role of ships counselor?

Skin of Evil really was pretty bad. I liked Tasha a lot and I wish that they had given her a better episode to die in.

Looking back I wonder if TNG would have been as good with her as it was with her. It's hard to judge since she was only there the first year (as Tasha). I do think she over acted at times, and I also think Worf was better suited for the role as head of security.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Denise Crosby originally go out for role of ships counselor?

You are correct. Marina Sirtis was originally cast as Tasha and Denise Crosby as Deanna but Gene Roddenberry switched their roles. I had heard that they had been considering eliminating the Troi character at the end of season 1 but they didn't because of Denise Crosby leaving. Lucky break for Marina Sirtis.

There is not really a single episode that I particularly "hated" in any of the seasons, wellll, maybe found a couple boring or parts of an episode to be pointless. Even "The Inner Light", which (and I know I could get grilled for this) I found a little slow and boring, has its great merits, so I can't say I HATE it!

As for Tasha, hmmm. . .It is hard to say whether or not she was better off dead (bad, I know :lol: ). If she had gotten to stay, maybe her character would have grown, just as all of the Senior Bridge staff did over the years. Yes, I know that she tended to overreact (and I AIN'T even GOING into the Naked Now! That is for another thread for griping!), but NEARLY all of the crew seemed to have their ups and downs in Season 1 (OK, so maybe I am biased there!).

There is not really a single episode that I particularly "hated" in any of the seasons, wellll, maybe found a couple boring or parts of an episode to be pointless. Even "The Inner Light", which (and I know I could get grilled for this) I found a little slow and boring, has its great merits, so I can't say I HATE it!

As for Tasha, hmmm. . .It is hard to say whether or not she was better off dead (bad, I know :lol: ). If she had gotten to stay, maybe her character would have grown, just as all of the Senior Bridge staff did over the years. Yes, I know that she tended to overreact (and I AIN'T even GOING into the Naked Now! That is for another thread for griping!), but NEARLY all of the crew seemed to have their ups and downs in Season 1 (OK, so maybe I am biased there!).

I have always said it would be easier to say which episodes I don't like compared to figuring out my favourites because they are all so good. I think each season had a bit of a clunker but even the clunkers are better than a lot of programming because of the consistently high quality of the overall series. Having said that Sub Rosa was definitely not one of my favourite episodes. I have read that Brent Spiner wasn't too happy with Masks due to preposterous acting (his own) in that episode.

Well Masks was a bit of a strange piece of work, so I could see where Brent has a point!

Sometimes you get the strangest stuff in acting (believe me, in 4 years of acting in High School, I have seen some really wild and perposterous stuff).

Actually, I read somewhere where they actually likened "Masks" to a really bad LSD trip ( how the critics know about that, I'll never know!)

lol. GOod point Yillara.

My gosh, I leave for dinner and when I come back I can't even catch up on all the posts.

Ok, Here goes:

about the only thing in SOE that i did not like was the really fake looking blood on Tasha's face. That always bugged me. - It was a "blotch" not blood. But I agree, completely.

I had heard that they had been considering eliminating the Troi character at the end of season 1 but they didn't because of Denise Crosby leaving. Lucky break for Marina Sirtis. - not for us, though (I'm sorry, I don't like Troi until she starts wearing a uniform. Not that that's the reason - or at least the only reason - but she doesn;t get good till season 6).

Even "The Inner Light", which (and I know I could get grilled for this) I found a little slow and boring, has its great merits, so I can't say I HATE it! - well, I agree. It had a good point and it was very thoughtful, but it definitely wasn't one of my favourites.

I have read that Brent Spiner wasn't too happy with Masks due to preposterous acting (his own) in that episode. - awww. Well, I haven;t seen that episode yet, but my firend (who doesn't even like star trek) watched it and...asked me who the yellow guy was. She said she thought he was great. Must see that episode...

Well, I think that's about it.

Masks was a strange episode for sure!

The voice he did for Masaka's father sure sounded a lot like his Brando imitation in the Dr. Soong make-up feature that was in the season 4 DVD special features.

Haven't seen the makeup feature, but in an article they DID say Brent could do an imitation of Brand really well. And remembering Masks, he DOES kinda sound like Brando.

Haven't seen the makeup feature, but in an article they DID say Brent could do an imitation of Brand really well. And remembering Masks, he DOES kinda sound like Brando.

He does an imitation of Brando in the Godfather in the make-up feature. After you have a chance to see it watch Masks and compare.

OK, I will attempt to do that, now where to get a hold of those DVD's? I may try to rent them from the video store, if they carry them.

Do they rent out season DVDs of series?? (oh well, I'm buying all Star Trek anyways, so it doesn't really matter. But just out of curiosity)

aww, that sucks :D . Luckily, there's always taping and second hand reports from soong_girl, lessa and I. It's not the same, but it could be worse. :lol:

hehe i have a couple things to say..

1) That blood on tasha when she died REALLY bothered me 2..

2)THe entire 1st season was a joke... like seriously can u take one bit of it seriously?? cuz i can't .. The Naked Now.. laughed my head off the entire time... the pilot episodes omg troi and that HAIR..LOL... that code of honor was really bad!!!.., haven was soooo fake.. but i LUVED it when data asked if they could continue the Pety bickering.. lol

3)omg no one likes troi :'( lol i really luved her character but i relate to her, since i am like the councelor/advice giver to all my friends...

and 4)i don;t have a 4 at the moment but i am sure i will think of something.. lol

~Lauren

Do they rent out season DVDs of series?? (oh well, I'm buying all Star Trek anyways, so it doesn't really matter. But just out of curiosity)

You can "rent" the DVD's yes. I don't know if local rental stores have them but I know for sure Netflix has them. I have 3 TNG and 3 DS9 dvd's right now that I rented. With Netflix you rent them and can keep them as long as you like. But they have a $21.95 monthly membership fee. If you want to check it out go to http://www.netflix.com

Ok, after playing several episodes (I love having them all on CD) I found it and made a screen shot of it for you. The Episode is Reunion from season 4.

worf.jpg

You can see it behind them in the background. It's not a great picture, but the quality of the video isn't all that great.