Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Shuttlepods

Okay, when Trip crashed on the alien moon in Dawn - they said the engines wouldn't work in that atmosphere so did they leave that craft behind. How about Desert Crossing when they were rescued by the shuttle and Zobral leaving one shuttle behind- did they go back for that shuttle? Were their other episodes I've forgotten? Do they make new ones?

I'd have to agree with you on this one and if you think about it showing us that they went back and retrieved the pod would take up some valubale air time. I think that is why you never see them going back for the pods.

Stardate:213518.4

Either that or its just something the writers didnt think of.

The UnicornHunter wrote:

Okay, when Trip crashed on the alien moon in Dawn - they said the engines wouldn't work in that atmosphere so did they leave that craft behind. How about Desert Crossing when they were rescued by the shuttle and Zobral leaving one shuttle behind- did they go back for that shuttle?  Were their other episodes I've forgotten?  Do they make new ones?

I wondered that too.

Let's see how rough the boys have been on those poor little shuttlepods:

Breaking the Ice--damaged on the comet, but retrieved with Vulcans' help

Shadows of P'Jem--shot down over Coridan

Shuttlepod One--damaged, engine ejected and exploded, shuttle retrieved

Desert Crossing--left on desert planet, presumably retrieved

Shockwave 1--involved on ignition of atmostpere (had to be some damage there)

Dawn--crashed on moon, engine incapacitated, shuttlepod retrieval unknown

Cease Fire--shot down while landing on Weytahm/Paan Mokar, retrieval unknown

Canamar--shuttlepod presumably seized, presumably returned

Did I leave anything out?

Dawn was the one I really wondered about because the engine wouldn't work in the moon's atmosphere. And in Desert Crossing they couldn't get past the sensor grid without Zobral's help and that was in the second shuttle. I guess we're just supposed to accept they got em back somehow.

Maybe they use the transporters. I don't know if they're advanced enough to beam something like a shuttle straight to the shuttle bay. But I think that would be most efficient.

Actually, beaming something to "somewhere else" inside the ship other than the transporter room/pad equals site-to-site transport.  That was first done in TOS, I believe.

Yes, I think that was "Day of the Dove," though I'm not sure. I remember they were very afraid of doing it, though. Which is why I expressed doubt about my theory.

Are you sure?  I thought in Marauders they beamed the 'fuel' aboard when they were leaving the planet.  I'll have to re-watch the ending.

I'll have to rewatch too. If I remember correctly, the fuel canisters appeared to be small enough to be transported to the transporter pad. They could then moved to wherever they are stored.

They just took off in the shuttle and left the fuel laying there. I think they could be individually beamed aboard.

Since it was Shuttlepod One that crashed in Dawn, I think they should have just left it there. That puppy's got some bad mojo going on with it. Either destroy it or get an exorcist to put the whammy on it.

They just took off in the shuttle and left the fuel laying there.  I think they could be individually beamed aboard.

Since it was Shuttlepod One that crashed in Dawn, I think they should have just left it there.  That puppy's got some bad mojo going on with it.  Either destroy it or get an exorcist to put the whammy on it.

Shim, sham, alakazam.

Shama lama ding dong.

Ugga bugga boo.

There. Bad mojo gone.

Let's see if that helped.

They would need to explain how the pods are recovered at least once. How could they recover them? I don't believe the transporters at this time could do it, in Dawn they couldn't go down to the planet because of whatever it was that killed their engines in the other 2 shuttles. I think it's just one of those things the writers and TPTB know is a "flaw" but it's one of those things we all just accept. Somehow they get the shuttle back and the next week there is a new mission.

They really do need to start using the transporters more though. Maybe the factor in forcing them to use the transporters could be the permanent loss of one of the Pods.