Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

How many earthquakes have you been in?

How many earthquakes have you been in?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How many earthquakes have you been in?

• 5+

After VGB's poll in hurricanes I thought we'd give the West coast a chance to show their experience. I was in California about seventeen months and I was in two earthquakes - both were mild to moderate I guess.

Three that I can remember.

The biggest (6.7) being the one that rattled Coalinga,California back in '83.

Earthquakes really don't bother me.

I'd take a quake over a Hurricane,flood,or tornado any day.

Which is funny,since my relatives down south have completely the opposite opinion.The idea of sitting through a quake terrifies them.

I've been in three quakes, none that destructive. one in California, one in Nevada and one in Illinois. The one in California was a shaker, not that memorable, near San Diego. The one in Las Vegas was memorable because I had just walked into the old MGM Grand (1975) and looked at my friend since we both felt a shaking. Not one person around us seemed to notice but just kept playing the slots! The next morning the newspaper confirmed it had been a small quake.

The first quake was the most memorable because it was my first and it was in Macomb, Illinois. It was the fall of 1968, a Saturday and my roommate and I were actually studying at desks opposite each other. I felt the shaking and turned around figuring it was my roommate shaking my chair. He was turned round looking at me. Then we looked at the window and realized that the curtains were shaking and so were the trees outside! We were on the 10th floor but there was no damage. Just lots of shocked people that Illinois could have an earthquake.

(Yes I know there is a New Madrid fault but back then it was still a big surprise)

I'm actually aware of several dozen that I've been in, both in California and in Massachusetts. But they were the really slight ones that you won't notice unless you were laying down on a bed with not-so-steady legs.

Well, I was born & raised in California, and I've lived here for 47 of the last 52 years, so I've been in more than 5. Lots more, from minor to "fairly large".

I was in one here in Virginia a few years back, maybe around 1997. It wasn't what someone in California would call an earthquake but it was one. We were all sitting around watching TV or something and heard a loud bang and the house shook a little, kind of sounded like something blew up right outside the house. Later on the news it was reported that it was an earthquake, a very small one but an earthquake none the less.

None. Florida is located in the middle of a continental plate.

354014[/snapback]

Actually you will be surprised, sea trooper. I voted none, because none were ever anything to cause alarm. But there are actually small tremors that DO occur in Florida, and they are not just the Space Shuttle landing here.

Ask A Scientist - Florida Earthquakes

There are both faults and earthquakes in Florida. For information about the

geologic structure and hazards of Florida, and specifically faults and

earthquakes in Florida, you can contact the U.S. Geological Survey

(http://www.usgs.gov) or the Florida Geological Survey (located in 

Tallahassee). Geology departments at Florida universities should each have

at least one faculty member knowledgable about these matters. So, if the

information I give you here is insufficient, those are very good sources

for more details.

Major earthquakes are unknown in Florida, and minor earthquakes are not

common, but they do occur. The two largest earthquakes recorded in Florida,

according to the US Geological Survey database, occurred in 1780 and 1879.

Both measured VI on the modified Mercalli scale (used before the invention

of the Richter scale). The Mercalli scale is based on human reactions and

property damage; VI corresponds to "felt by all, many frightened and run

out of doors." So you see, these are not major earthquakes.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

None, but it ain't my fault either.

354026[/snapback]

:inlove: not your "fault"! Pun intended I assume?

I've only been in one and it was here in Georgia. A couple of years ago I was sitting in my living and around 12:30 pm I felt the house shake for a couple of seconds. I later that day found out by watching the local news that it was a minor earth quake.

So they happen over here on the East Coast too

Edited by Gamera

None. Florida is located in the middle of a continental plate.

354014[/snapback]

Actually you will be surprised, sea trooper. I voted none, because none were ever anything to cause alarm. But there are actually small tremors that DO occur in Florida, and they are not just the Space Shuttle landing here.

Ask A Scientist - Florida Earthquakes

Click For Spoiler
There are both faults and earthquakes in Florida. For information about the

geologic structure and hazards of Florida, and specifically faults and

earthquakes in Florida, you can contact the U.S. Geological Survey

(http://www.usgs.gov) or the Florida Geological Survey (located in 

Tallahassee). Geology departments at Florida universities should each have

at least one faculty member knowledgable about these matters. So, if the

information I give you here is insufficient, those are very good sources

for more details.

Major earthquakes are unknown in Florida, and minor earthquakes are not

common, but they do occur. The two largest earthquakes recorded in Florida,

according to the US Geological Survey database, occurred in 1780 and 1879.

Both measured VI on the modified Mercalli scale (used before the invention

of the Richter scale). The Mercalli scale is based on human reactions and

property damage; VI corresponds to "felt by all, many frightened and run

out of doors." So you see, these are not major earthquakes.

354043[/snapback]

Interesting indeed. Thank you for that. In any case, I have not experienced any. :)

I slept thru an earthquake. I used be a pretty sound sleeper when I was young. Fortunately, nothing significant happened to my parent's house.

and I'm in the green section of Georgia and it did happen 

354068[/snapback]

:assimilated: I'm in the green in both place that I have lived. The first 2 were in Phila. PA. well the first one was in Reading PA and was felt in Philly, the second one was in CherryHill NJ and still felt in Philly. The third one i have felt was somewhere close by,not to long ago, and I live now in the NW corner of South Carolina. So the green can have tremors , too.

Another thread I noticed because a spider was on it.

More than I can count, mostly minor. A few that shook the house pretty good. Only one that I can remember where a few dishes fell out of the cupboards and we had a small crack in the wall after. Nothing major though thank goodness.

none, but I was in one @ MGM Studios FL on the hollywood back set tour

I've been in 4 Tornadoes back in PA, one while I was camping, that was scary, nowhere to go!

Nope,i live in a vally kind of thing... i am surrounded by mountains, so we never get earthquakes here... i have had a couple of tremors though, as the North atlantic fault or whatever its called (off the coast of BC) is less a province near to me.. so like maybe 1200km or so. The only thing that can really affect me here are forest fires. we can't get tornadoes (not big ones), earthquakes, or really anything else.

I think I've answered this before but in a nut-shell, a few.

Funny though, I predicted the most recent EQ in Idoneisia. I was going to send VBG a PM with the prediction but second guessed my intuition and didn't send it. 2 days later, it struck.

Finally, off topic but maybe you'll enjoy the story; just a couple night ago I dream of being in a high rise in some desert environment, like Las Vegas but with these mountains of (crumbly) silver/grey rocks everywhere.

The building I was in was built in around a mountain of the strange rock. Naturally, we were on the top floor of what seemed like 200 floors when a tremor gently shook it, I remember thinking it was an earthquake when - POW, the building began folding in around me. I then woke up shaken.