Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

My Name Is Earl

Q. With NBC's abandonment of half-hour comedy programs in the 8-9 p.m. hour, what can we expect to happen to shows such as My Name Is Earl, The Office and 30 Rock? Will they be dropped or moved into the 9-10 hour? I've always been a fan of half-hour comedies and NBC really had a great track record. By the way, Alec Baldwin is just great with his deadpan line delivery in 30 Rock. -- B.P., Fort Lauderdale

A. Expect this edict to last as long as most of NBC's new series. Game shows are working now for NBC, at least working better than scripted series, so NBC wants to make it seem that a new emphasis on unscripted fare is a grand plan rather than the act of desperation it is. It's revealing that the first programming move after announcing the abandonment of the first hour of prime time is that My Name Is Earl and The Office will stay on Thursday from 8 to 9 p.m. and be followed, effective Nov. 30, by 30 Rock and the return of Scrubs, setting up an old-fashioned NBC scripted comedy block on Thursday. Twenty Good Years apparently will not make it to 20 mediocre episodes.

It's good to know that My Name Is Earl will still air on NBC and not be cancelled :frusty:

I'm glad as well. I've tried to like "20 Good Years" but the show is flat and not that funny.

NBC resorted to its classic trick of "supersizing" comedy episodes last night, and it paid off for the most part. My Name Is Earl and The Office came out ahead of ABC's new hit Ugly Betty for the first time this season, with NBC grabbing a 4.0 rating to ABC's 3.9, according to Nielsen overnights.

Earl beat Ugly Betty in the ratings :blink:

Edited by Gamera

Even though this past week's episode was I believe the first where Earl doesn't do anything with his list, I think it was the funniest episode they've ever done... :yucky:

Even though this past week's episode was I believe the first where Earl doesn't do anything with his list, I think it was the funniest episode they've ever done... :yucky:

Technically it is the second episode after Jump for Joy (the one where Joy's in jail and they have to get Catalina to be a stripper again in order to get the bail money from Richard Chubby (Burt Reynolds) but tv.com lists that one as part 2 of Very Bad Things in which Earl does make an attempt to cross an item off his list. So this could be considered the first episode in which no attempts are made.

In case anyone is interested, according to wikipedia, as of episode 2.09, Earl has:

Completed 45 items

Been absolved for 3 items

Unsuccessfully attempted 5 items

Has started 2 items that are ongoing

and there is 1 permanent item on the list

So there are 213 items left on the list.

Even though this past week's episode was I believe the first where Earl doesn't do anything with his list, I think it was the funniest episode they've ever done... :clap:

I thought so too, great episode that featured a lot of characters we haven't seen since season one. I don't know if it was the bloody wiener or Randy being afraid to get out of the tree, but it was great :yucky:

In case anyone is interested, according to wikipedia, as of episode 2.09, Earl has:

Completed 45 items

Been absolved for 3 items

Unsuccessfully attempted 5 items

Has started 2 items that are ongoing

and there is 1 permanent item on the list

So there are 213 items left on the list.

The list is an ongoing thing. Earl is always adding to it. Just this past week, he said he had to add a few more things to the list after watching the "COPS" episode. So its hard to figure out just how many items are on the list.

Yes, but that is taken into account on wikipedia. To date he has added 9 items since the pilot in which he had 259 items, so he's up to 268 items of which 45 have been removed (should actually be 48 since he was absolved of 3). As of right now it is not possible to know how many items he added in the Cops episode until he adds something new because he'll give the number for the new item which will reflect how many were added in the Cops episode.

just read in the news that My Name Is Earl has been renewed for season three!!! :b-day::laugh::elephant:

I liked last night's episode :laugh:

John Waters was a great choice for the funeral owner :elephant: , I think my favorite part was when Joy saw the ghost of the dead guy in the cake

It was a great episode. John Waters is a hometown boy here and its always good to see him.

Last night was another good episode :blink:

I didn't notice, but someone told me that the picture of young Earl had his eyes closed like his adult pics. Doesn't surprise me, but I wish I noticed it last night <_<

NBC Orders Extra 'Office,' 'Earl'

Popular comedies get 25-episode orders

May 14, 2007

B.J. Novak and Steve Carell of 'The Office'NBC's fall may not include a single new comedy series, but the network has ordered an extra dose of "The Office" and "My Name Is Earl."

The peacock has ordered up 25 episodes apiece of "Earl" and "The Office," a small increase from the standard 22 episode order. In addition, "The Office" will expand five episodes to a full hour.

After minor schedule juggling, "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" are anchoring NBC's Thursday. "Earl" will remain in the 8 p.m. slot, leading into sophomore comedy "30 Rock," while "The Office" will start the 9 p.m. hour before giving way to the long-running "Scrubs."

2007 Network Upfronts

On one hand, the "Office" expansion is a move of convenience. The order for "Scrubs," which nearly wasn't picked up, is believed to only be for 18 episodes. On the other hand, fans of the Emmy-winning workplace comedy have often been treated to extensive cut scenes online, as well as expanded episodes in repeat cycles.

As NBC Entertainment President Kevin Reilly explained to reporters on Monday (May 14) morning, "Frankly Greg Daniels leaves -- we saw him leave full episodes' worth of material on the cutting-room floor just by the nature of the way they shoot. They have a script that's very tight, but obviously they have fantastic improv actors, and they do riff in every scene. As we got to the super-sizing, Greg would often say 'I've got a 40-minute cut, it's great, I'm gonna send it over.' And we'd look at it and say it's a shame to cut it out. So it was really not a reach for us to contemplate doing hour episodes."

Although NBC's fall slate is new comedy-free for the first time in nearly 30 years, the network grabbed "The IT Crowd," an American take on a British format, for midseason. Recent NBC midseason comedy pick-ups including "Thick and Thin" and "The Singles Table" have yet to air.

Alyssa Milano will be keeping herself busy by going back to where she got her big break--television. According to TVGuide.com, the 34-year-old actress is joining the cast of NBC laugher My Name is Earl for several episodes as Samantha (hey! Just like her role in Who's the Boss?), a love interest for the now-jailed lead character played by Jason Lee.

Earl, one of the Parents Television Council's nemeses, will also welcome Craig T. Nelson to its cast, says E! Online. Nelson, who won an Emmy as the lead in the late 1980s show Coach, will play the warden at the jail that houses Earl.

Cool, I'm a Coach fan so it'll be cool to see him again! Also, Season two will be out on DVD in two weeks!! Can't wait to pick that up :tribble:

Jamie (Joy) won the Emmy for best supporting actress in a comedy series last night for My Name Is Earl!!! :)

Thats great! She is a great actress and she deserves it. I've been in love with her ever since I saw her in "Joe Dirt".

fans need to watch tonight, they are re-playing the season finale, but with new unseen footage.

Thanks for the tip, Gamera! I didn't know that! :)

It was pretty good last night, it did have some funny moments. I think my favorite scene last night was when the other guy in the hot box was digging in the ground to get to Earl on the other side, and Earl trying to push the dirt back with his feet. :)

Overall, alright. It looks like it has the same problem as season two. Season two's first few episodes were kind of slow, but eventually got back to being real funny. Probably the same thing is happening this season. I wonder how long they are going to keep him in jail? I know in the story they say two years, but I saw the commercials where they are going to hold a Free Earl benefit and also do a "We Are the World" type song. So, I expect him not be in there much longer, but maybe for the rest of the season at the most. Now that Randy is going to jail to be with Earl, it makes me think that the season will be him helping people in prison

I think they need to get Earl out of jail really quick. The series is drifting from its premise. Earl can't complete his list in prison. He's just lucky that he found one guy from his list in jail.

This show is getting very close to jumping the shark. They have completely abandoned the entire premise of the show. Its still funny but not as good as previous seasons. They need to get Earl out of jail quick and get him back to his list.

he has added, instead of taking away, from his list before. I haven't been watching for the past couple of weeks. I have been watching Smallville instead and that series is just getting better. Last week, they had Dean Cain vs. Tom Welling!! :)

This past week's episode was another sub-par one. I'm really getting worried about this series. They did another "COPS" episode which wasn't nearly as funny as the first one. They need to get Earl out of jail and fast!

That is a good show funny i used to watch it when it first aired know i don't since it got change days

The ratings for Earl are doing pretty good. It was #50 in the weeks ratings out of 100. That's real good compared to Smallville that was ranked at #85 that week. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a season four of My Name Is Earl, which I'm all for :P