Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Who Should She Have Married?

Should Deanna Troi Have Married Thomas Riker Instead of Will?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Deanna Troi Have Married Thomas Riker Instead of Will?

• yes
    • no
    • other

I was wondering if you think that she should have married Thomas instead of Will? I mean, for all of those years that Thomas was left by himself, he told Deanna that the only thing that got him through all of those years was the thought of seeing her again. What are your thoughts?

Thomas was the man she fell in love with. Will was the man who drifted away from her so yes...she should have married Thomas. Whatever happened to him anyway?

I could be mistaken, but I think he joined the Maquis. (BTW, I voted "no".)

Edited by BakulaBabe

Thomas Riker joined the Maquis, stole the Defiant and gave himself up to save his crew. (Someone else may have to help me with this ... I can't remember the specifics. Did Thomas end up in Cardassian custody, or did he end up dead at the end of that episode?)

Yes, Deanna should have hooked up with Thomas Riker. He remained completely devoted to her while Will put his career ahead of her. How many of us would give everything we had to go back in time and get a second chance at happiness with someone like that.

Edited by Susan_Delgado

Thomas Riker joined the Maquis, stole the Defiant and gave himself up to save his crew.

I know that part. I was just wondering what happened to him after the Cardassians took him away. I imagine he was either executed or killed during the Dominion War.

That's a good question. Thomas was more passionate than Will (in every way, perhaps :hug: B) ), he also seemed to be willing to sacrifice a great deal for her... and I just loved how he led her to Ten Forward using all those little hints in "Second Chances", that was SO cute... :)

I'm sure he'd never have joined the Maquis if she had followed him.

But still, too many things had happened and I think she was just too overwhelmed by the happenings. Perhaps Thomas expected too much, I mean, it must have been like a journey to the past for her. :rolleyes:

I'm somewhat glad Deanna married Will in Nemesis, though, so I have to say, no. I doubt that things could have worked between Thomas and De. At first perhaps, yes, but not for a long time.

No, she should have married Will. Will is the man she fell in love with whether or not he changed over the years so did she. Thomas also changed by his years living by himself. He was not the same person that she knew all those years ago. I would say that all that time alone would have made him unstable, as witnessed in "Defiant". Deanna would have never gone along with what Thomas did.

I think Thomas was offered life in prison rather than execution in exchange for surrendering. However, one wonders if after the war he might not have been freed (or killed).

Maybe Deanna should have married Worf.

What you are attracted to in your youth isn't necessarily what is right for you later in life.

She made the right choice, though I can see why his passionate nature was so alluring.

I think both men and women are romantics, it just seems harder for some men to show it at times.

352071[/snapback]

That's why we treasure the ones who can show it easily.

I wonder if they learn it from their fathers, or it's a part of who they are.

I must be a part of who we are, because I was raised mostly by my mother

Almost forgot I am glad women are such romantics it makes sharing the popcorn at the Drive Inn so much more fun!!

It's just a product of society.

352084[/snapback]

Well I believe it is something that has to be learned.

You look to your parents as how to have a romantic relationship.

If your Dad is thoughtful and considerate of your mother in a romantic sense, than the chances are greater that you will also be thoughtful and considerate.

To get back on topic, I voted Deanna married the right guy when she married Will. I think Deanna would have ended up being more counselor than wife for Thomas as he tried to adjust to life amongst people again. The fact he left Starfleet and joined the Maquis shows that the adjustment to a structured life was too much for him.

^^^^^^^

Hahahaha

Yes, perfect couple!!!

Um, please forgive, but who the hell is Thomas Riker?

A brother I presume?

man oh man, I certainly have missed quite a few episodes!!!

Um, please forgive, but who the hell is Thomas Riker?

A brother I presume?

man oh man, I certainly have missed quite a few episodes!!!

353029[/snapback]

Thomas was a result of a bit of a transporter accident.

He was left on the planet when the William Riker we all see for the entire series, went back to the ship he was on at the time and continued the timeline as we all know it.

"Second Chances"

Thomas has eight years of LIFE in general to catch up on. Imagine being on a deserted island or in a coma since 1997. You don't just have to catch up with the woman you love, you've got things like Clinton's impeachment, Bush II's entire presidency, 9/11, probably the O.J. Simpson trial, "Who Let The Dogs Out", "Family Guy", "Shakespeare In Love", Snoop Dogg, etc. to catch up on. It's almost unfair to ask a woman that you're not even married to to be patient with you while you try and adjust back into life.

I feel the same applies with Thomas here. Deanna, not even knowing of Thomas's existence, has moved on with her life. This newfound passion is not enough for them to go on, so marrying Thomas does not seem to be an option.

I don't think Will would have been right either. He moved on beyond her once. I'm not familiar enough with the character development that led to their marriage, but it does not seem that he would have been a good husband, despite what Lwoxanna said.