• Mercury
    • Venus
    • Mars
    • Jupiter
    • Saturn
    • Uranus
    • Neptune
    • Pluto (well that?s kind of debatable)

What is your favorite planet? (In our solar system and not from ST)

Why?

My favorite I think is Saturn, but I like them all really. Well

Saturn is an interesting planet and its appearance is really neat.

Facts:

~Its about 762,700,000 miles from Earth in its closes orbit

~A day on Saturn is 10.66 hours

~A year is = to 30 Earth years.

~ The average temperature on Saturn is -285 degrees F (-176 degrees c).

~Saturn’s atmosphere has 88% hydrogen, 11% helium, and traces of methane, ammonia, ethane, and phosgene

~ Saturn’s rings are 150,000 miles away from Saturn clouds.

~ Saturn has about 20 natural satellites

~ Saturn’s name came from the Roman God of Farming

~750 Earths could fit into Saturn

Well maybe its Jupiter . . I don’t know. . . I like them all

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I voted Saturn too. I don't have all the nifty facts that you do, I just think the rings are aesthetically pleasing.

Interesting that you didn't include Earth.

Mine? I'd have to say Earth. I havent been able to travel to any other planets to see them. My shuttlecraft broke down before I even took it out of our atmosphere, and I never got around to fixing it. It's been sitting in my lawn on blocks ever since. That's the last time I buy from the Ferengi Used Shuttle Lot.

There's a lot here on Earth that I havent seen yet, so I decided to see all of Earth before I venture elsewhere. :unsure:

Astronomically speaking I choose Saturn and Neptune, I think these planets have two of the most interesting Moons in the Solar System but it has been so long since I studied them I cant remember but one of their names, Titan (Saturn). The moon of Neptune which, has black ice in appearance volcanos, is the other one.

I said Jupiter, but that's only because I'm a loved 2001 and 2010. Really I wouldn't mind living on one of Jupiters moons.

Since I was three or four and first saw Jupiter and Saturn through a telescope, I have been fascinated by both! I chose Jupiter, on the fact that when I was 14 I got to see the "C" fragment from the "String of Pearls" comet (Shoemaker-Levy 9) hit Jupiter, and also saw the impact mark shortly thereafter! That is one of the astronomical events that have changed my life! I got to see that rare event occur!!

I have so far seen through telescopes: Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and once tried to catch Mercury (that is a laugh to do!!) and of course I look at the ground beneath my feet and see Earth. And those are just the planets! Other interesting sites were: Comet Hale-Bopp, Comet Hyakutake, Halley's Comet, the moon (during a lunar eclipse, that is really quite interesting!), Orion's Nebula, the Crab Nebula(well Taurus holds a special place in MY heart, since I was born under that sign!)

But Jupiter, now Jupiter is just awesome. Especially with my Meade 6" reflector, I can clearly see the Galilean moons as well!! That and musically speaking, Jupiter is the best piece of music ever composed by Gustav Holst!!!

OK, so my favorite science since I was about three was Astronomy!! Can't help it, it is just so fascinating!!

Since I was three or four and first saw Jupiter and Saturn through a telescope, I have been fascinated by both! I chose Jupiter, on the fact that when I was 14 I got to see the "C" fragment from the "String of Pearls" comet (Shoemaker-Levy 9) hit Jupiter, and also saw the impact mark shortly thereafter! That is one of the astronomical events that have changed my life! I got to see that rare event occur!!

I have so far seen through telescopes: Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and once tried to catch Mercury (that is a laugh to do!!) and of course I look at the ground beneath my feet and see Earth. And those are just the planets! Other interesting sites were: Comet Hale-Bopp, Comet Hyakutake, Halley's Comet, the moon  (during a lunar eclipse, that is really quite interesting!), Orion's Nebula, the Crab Nebula(well Taurus holds a special place in MY heart, since I was born under that sign!)

But Jupiter, now Jupiter is just awesome. Especially with my Meade 6" reflector, I can clearly see the Galilean moons as well!! That and musically speaking, Jupiter is the best piece of music ever composed by Gustav Holst!!!

OK, so my favorite science since I was about three was Astronomy!! Can't help it, it is just so fascinating!!

Yillara_Soong,

For Star Trek & Physics Weekly the topic before logarithmic & exponential equations was on comets and I talked about the impact that Shoemaker-Levy 9 had on Jupiter and our general understanding of “astro-chemistry”. To bad that you probably did not read or miss those editions on the subject of comets and what happened to Jupiter with that impact . . . (even thought you probably already know I think you would of enjoyed the historical perspective that I took on comets)

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Sorry about that Soong_girl....Guess I am really "in my element" here (thus the nickname "Android" in school). The thread is discussing your particular choice of favorite planet and why you like it. And master_q and I were discussing the comet that broke into 21 fragments and struck Jupiter in the summer of 1994.

Master_q I probably missed that one because I only registered here about 9 days ago... So in the last week I have been slowly checking out each board that appeals to me. This seems to be a good place to keep my brain from "rusting", since I am taking a break from school(Senior year of college-Majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies-Biology, Chemistry, and Physics). I was one of the only female Physics majors at my school, but I began to miss Chemistry and Biology. . .so I changed majors to encompass all three! Now, if only my school had a minor in Astronomy (some schools actually do)....my life would be truly set!

i had to say mars. thinking about it its the closest planet that could've sustained life at one time, and may again some day. thats a very intriguing thought. not to mention the MARTIAN CHRONICLES, left a lot to ponder about mars.

Well they say Mars is for men and Venus is for women so I'll take Venus..... I'll be out numbered by the women. You gotta love that :devil: :o

I think I have to go with saturn. You just can't beat those rings! :o

i have the star trek map of our sol system there are (in startrk) 10 planets in our system the 10th is called prosperen i liked the name but you didnt have it so i did tha nully thing

Earth is a given. But next???

Jupiter as it is just fantastic to see the slightly pink/orange belts of cloud swirl intricately across the surface. The Great Red Spot is wonderful to watch as it transits. The moons perform a delightful dance from night to night.

But then????

You can't beat Saturn which looks like just like the photographs in my 16" telescope. So crisp and clear. Finding the divisions in the rings is a real thrill.. Seeing the tilt of the rings change from month to month.

???

Mars- at its closest point in orbit and no dust storms- the pole, the faint suggestion of pink, white, orange ....

Venus- watching the phases just like the moon...

Could be Uranus as it is tilted on its side unlike any other planet.

Hard Choice!

i have the star trek map of our sol system there are (in startrk) 10 planets in our system the 10th is called prosperen i liked the name but you didnt have it so i did tha nully thing

At the rate everything is going I would not doubt that we will discover another planet in our system and it gets named that. But, so far they have been debating Pluto's status, and whether or not Quaohar and the other planet-like object are really in fact planets. Just keep reading and keep watching, we may get to see an article on that tenth planet mentioned in Star Trek.

I have always been mystified by Mars. Mostly do to the myths that surround the planet. But I am also intrigued by the belief that it may have supported life at one time.

My favorite is probably neptune...i don't know whta I like about it exactly, I just think its cool. i also like the fact that its almost the farthest planet away from the sun that wwe know about, if you don't count pluto as a planet.

ok i've obviously missed something here, why do people talk about pluto not being a planet? a little help please, thanks.

ctpwright: ok i've obviously missed something here, why do people talk about pluto not being a planet? a little help please, thanks.

Have a look in the Science and Technology Forum - Poll: Should Pluto be considered a planet?

Have a read of the responses. Hope this helps! :innocent:

neptune. its so far away and its just so completely different from earth. and its blue. i like blue. haha.

Well my favourite planet would obviously be earth. It has water, life, climate, blah blah blah. But i think you meant which other planet would be a favourite in which case i would say Mars. It has inspired sci-fi for years. Has that whole 'solid' thing going on and so forth. I read once that originally Spock was going to be from Mars. Thank the oompa loompas that that didnt happen. k

I picked Mars.....don't know why :rolleyes:

If Pluto is debatable, then so is Quaoar

I choose Earth, not only because we can breathe there (!), but because it's where the Federation started...