Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What makes you happy?

I remember many years ago when I was a teen I came across some machine that would tell you "your fortune" for a penny - you chose the question and put in the penny and it gave you your answer.

I chose the question "Where can I find Happiness" the answer was "under H in the dictionary" after I stopped laughing I thought "ask a stupid question". Yet remarkably, that has been one of the silly little moments of my life that I often reflect on. Sometimes we want a simply answer to a question that has no simple answer. I think we also live in a world that has a vested financial interest in misleading us on a search for happiness.

Myth #1 Rich people aren't happier than poor people. Obviously there are some benefits to their lives...but they're not happier according to those who research this area. Money and all the things it buys does not buy happiness.

Myth #2 - people don't make you happy - although there have been documented cases of people finding a "cure" for depression by falling in love. Still, there are many people who aren't happy even though they may have the pefect companion.

My personal observation over the years is that people are happy if they live according to those things they value - a better way to put it is that what they are is in harmony with what they think they should be. I think that is part of what Shakespeare may have hinted at in "to thine own self be true"

Personally, I always found I was happy when I was gaining a knowledge or developing a skill. Contrary to contempary thought - hard work brings happiness - that sense of accomplishment and the sense of worth at being self sufficient are true prizes.

Doing something for others is also a source of happiness; even though it isn't always apparent or easy - there is a sense of contentment that comes from service.

Also, in my personal experience - being outside in either early morn or late evening makes my happy. Maybe part of it is that this is when I take walks - which is also good for you. But I love those times of the day. When my work schedule has permitted me to be out at daybreak I have actually felt pity for those who do not know what the world looks like as the sun is coming up.

Children make me happy - I think they keep you young.

Of course there are more mundane things that make me happy;

Fridays at 5:00 p.m. :naughty:

chocolate

sleeping in

the rushing of the wind in the pines

cats

a good scifi movie I hadn't seen before

reading a really good book.

I find myself most happy when the people I care about are happy.

If I see my family or friends doing well,and they're smiling and upbeat.If something wonderful just happened to them.Then that really makes my day.

I also find happiness in simple things....

getting out in the yard on a nice day and doing a little gardening....

reading my Bible and uncovering some truth about Scripture that I never knew before...

stargazing with my nephew at night,and teaching him the constellations....

just shooting the bull about trivial things with my buddies while playing cards...

getting an unsolicited smile from a pretty woman...

Or in doing nothing at all,sitting on my porch with my cats at dusk,drinking something cold.

I'm not hard to please. :naughty:

I think people can't be truly happy until they've learned to be truly happy within themselves. Accepting their less sterling qualities/attributes as well as those they feel pride in.

Things that make me happy:

A babies attempt at talking, love that rambling

Being perfectly understood by someone, and not being judged at the same time

Gardening, quiet gardening

painting

getting lost in a really good book

Laughing with those I love

Walking in the rain

i may sound Whipped, but Im happiest the most when i am around my Girlfriend, on of the few things in life that brings a smile to my face anymore is being with her

i may sound Whipped, but Im happiest the most when i am around my Girlfriend, on of the few things in life that brings a smile to my face anymore is being with her

350375[/snapback]

I was wondering if you two were still together. You haven't talked about Alana in quite some time. Glad to see you two are still doing well.

350375[/snapback]

I was wondering if you two were still together. You haven't talked about Alana in quite some time. Glad to see you two are still doing well.

350383[/snapback]

Yeah We're doin good, I need to upload some vacation pics of her

Bowling is another thing that makes me happy, I start up the new seasons this week

Bowling is another thing that makes me happy, I start up the new seasons this week

I was up in Maine last week and they had candlestick bowling. Have you ever tried that?

Animals

My family

My friends

Not having much homework

When things are going right for me at college

When I go one whole lesson without miss-hearing anyone (I'm hard of hearing :blush 2: )

etc

I was up in Maine last week and they had candlestick bowling. Have you ever tried that?

350997[/snapback]

No Ive done Cosmic, what exactly is Candlestick Bowling?

i'm happy when i'm creative. when i'm making something with photoshop or writing a story.

my six birds make me happy especially when they do something silly.

reading.

a few other things.

tm :(

What makes me happy?

1. Great sex.

2. Eating out (Pizza or Indian food).

3. Black and white films.

4. Meditation.

5. Listening to Pink Floyd or KMFDM.

6. Reading.

7. Visiting with friends.

8. Meditation