Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Is the one hour drama fading away.

There are still many shows that devote their weekly timeslot to self contained stories with an occasional to be continued. But I have noticed an increasing number of "continuing" plot lines that go from week to week without ever resolving anything. That is one of the reasons I never liked soap operas - and I don't like the "nothing ever happens" technique in weekly dramas any more.

How long will you watch a series without getting some answers. I mean like Lost - can you sit through another season of vague references with no resolution?

It depends on the show I guess. I actually don't think that Lost is that interesting and I certainly don't have the patience to watch it every week and wait 4 weeks to have one simple question solved.

Do you know "Angel" - the 4th season was very soap opera like with an open end at the end of every single episode. But I liked the series and watched the first 3 seasons and so I watched the 4th season too.

So if the series is actually extraordinary and I really love it - I continue watching it. But this was only the case with Angel - normally I prefer series with good single episode stories.

Edited by Medusa

And because of lost the new season of tv will be loaded with these kind of shows. Every station seems to have a new one coming out including the WB. I don't know if they are all continuating stories but they all seem to have that scifi fantasy sort of thing

Everything goes in cycles when it comes to television. One successful series leads to clones. I can remember when the sitcom was supposed to be dead because of the number of dramas. Then sitcoms rebounded and it was the dramas that were supposed to be dying. Reality shows were supposed to kill scripted series but that hasn't happened.