Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Picard

Hurricane Katrina

Hurricane Katrina to hite Gulf!

strm12_track_720x486.jpg

This could be the most powerful storm to ever hit the US so far in known history. This topic is for get out all the information to everyone has on this storm. Right now it looks like the winds could get to 185 MPH at land fall and the hurricane force winds would cover over 200 miles north or east of the point of land fall.

Edited by Capt_Picard

From the National Hurrican Center

ZCZC MIATCPAT2 ALL

TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

BULLETIN

HURRICANE KATRINA ADVISORY NUMBER  24

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

4 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE KATRINA HEADED FOR THE

NORTHERN GULF COAST...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTH CENTRAL GULF COAST

FROM MORGAN CITY LOUISIANA EASTWARD TO THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA

BORDER...INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN.

PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE COMPLETED THIS

EVENING.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH ARE IN EFFECT FROM

EAST OF THE ALABAMA/FLORIDA BORDER TO DESTIN FLORIDA...AND FROM

WEST OF MORGAN CITY TO INTRACOASTAL CITY LOUISIANA.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS ALSO IN EFFECT FROM DESTIN FLORIDA

EASTWARD TO INDIAN PASS FLORIDA...AND FROM INTRACOASTAL CITY

LOUISIANA WESTWARD TO CAMERON LOUISIANA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 4 PM CDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATRINA WAS LOCATED

NEAR LATITUDE 26.9 NORTH... LONGITUDE 89.0 WEST OR ABOUT 150 MILES

SOUTH OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER.

KATRINA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 13 MPH...AND A GRADUAL

TURN TO THE NORTH IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.  ON THIS

TRACK THE CENTER OF THE HURRICANE WILL BE NEAR THE NORTHERN GULF

COAST EARLY MONDAY.  HOWEVER...CONDITIONS ARE ALREADY BEGINNING TO

DETERIORATE ALONG PORTIONS OF THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN GULF

COAST...AND WILL CONTINUE TO WORSEN THROUGH THE NIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 165 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

KATRINA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON

THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE.  SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY

UNTIL LANDFALL.  KATRINA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AT CATEGORY

FOUR OR FIVE INTENSITY.  WINDS AFFECTING THE UPPER FLOORS OF

HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THOSE NEAR

GROUND LEVEL.

KATRINA IS A LARGE HURRICANE.  HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD

UP TO 105 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS

EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 230 MILES.  SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM FORCE

WINDS ARE OCCURRING OVER THE SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA COAST.  SOUTHWEST

PASS...NEAR THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER...RECENTLY REPORTED

SUSTAINED WINDS OF 48 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 53 MPH.

A NOAA HURRICANE HUNTER PLANE REPORTED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE OF

902 MB...26.64 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 18 TO 22 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE

LEVELS...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 28 FEET...ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS

BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE EAST OF WHERE THE

CENTER MAKES LANDFALL.  SOME LEVEES IN THE GREATER NEW ORLEANS AREA

COULD BE OVERTOPPED.  SIGNIFICANT STORM SURGE FLOODING WILL OCCUR

ELSEWHERE ALONG THE CENTRAL AND NORTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO COAST.

RAINFALL TOTALS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF

15 INCHES...ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE PATH OF KATRINA ACROSS THE GULF

COAST AND THE TENNESSEE VALLEY.  RAINFALL TOTALS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES

ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE OHIO VALLEY INTO THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES

REGION TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY.

ISOLATED TORNADOES WILL BE POSSIBLE BEGINNING THIS EVENING OVER

SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF LOUISIANA...MISSISSIPPI...AND ALABAMA...AND

OVER THE FLORIDA PANHANDLE.

REPEATING THE 4 PM CDT POSITION...26.9 N... 89.0 W.  MOVEMENT

TOWARD...NORTHWEST NEAR 13 MPH.  MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 902 MB.

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE

CENTER AT 7 PM CDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 10 PM

CDT.

FORECASTER PASCH

$$

NNNN

It's scary that it already did quite a bit of damage in Southern Florida and then picked up strength to hit the mainland again. Right now it will probably miss the Florida panhandle which was hit a few weeks ago.

They all seem to be going up the Gulf this year.

I hope people take this seriously, there was a family that went out on their boat last week on the Gulf coast of Southern Florida - thanks to the US Coast Guard they were found but I think the parents .....well, taking your children including a four year out on the ocean with a hurricane coming - I just don't understand people. Every hurricane it is the same thing - people decide to take their kids out in a boat :tribble:

And for goodness sake - don't go outside....falling trees do kill people

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

And for goodness sake - don't go outside....falling trees do kill people

349139[/snapback]

And that is exactly what took the life of at least a couple of the 9 people lost when the storm first made landfall.

I pray that all found shelter and are trying to stay safe, as well as all who are in this storm's path as she goes well into land. I know that I have family that, as far as I know , still live in Louisiana (and right in the path, they live basically right on Lake Ponchetrain(sorry, probably spelled that wrong)). No word from them to us or other family members at least as of yet. Hoping they are safe.

Luckily the storm died down a little before hitting the coast. With 155mph winds versus the 175mph that was originally expected.

Isn't it funny how when a disaster hits another country, the good ole US of A is always there to help. Yet when we suffer a disaster, there is never a mention of anyone coming to our aid...............................

Well at least if a state has a problem there are at least 49 other states ready to help!

Edited by Capt_Picard

It was pretty bad. Can't say I like going through these things, but I lived.

Canada has offered to help send Search and Rescue Crews Down, I heard that on CNN, but wow its amazing the Destruction that took place, I bet that it was a Cat. 5 like Andrew was a few years back, they thought it was a 4 when it 1st hit, I am hooked on watching the news channels, right now cause Im so amazed at what took place

Isn't it funny how when a disaster hits another country, the good ole US of A is always there to help. Yet when we suffer a disaster, there is never a mention of anyone coming to our aid...............................

349415[/snapback]

The EU may do something, but they usually do it under the mandate of not having publicity for it. We tend to find out when we hear about budgets and stuff which is how I get to knowing. Britain does tend to as part of the special 'relationship' we are alledged to have, which again and as part of said 'relationship' will receive no publicity as it is 'expected'. Thirdly, when Britain get the damn Hurrricanes (We have, the flooded us, destroyed homes buisness etc in 1987) No one helped us either.

It seems to be this idea that we are 'first' world states, we therefore have more money than sense and can afford to rebuild, where as the poor africans have nothing (Its more accurate to say the average joe of africa doesn't whilst the elite swan around in the mercedes (which scarily are used as taxi cabs over in some places!) and whilst I am not against helping the average person in africa, I am sickened that any and all moey goes into the pockets of the elit (But that is of course off topic)

I had heard Katrina was about to shift horth, north-east and wind up in the east canada great lakes area. My Uncle lives there, on the shore of Lake Eerie, Lord, I bet he wishes he weren't so close to the water now!!!

I can feel for the people that are effected by this storm. As some of you may recall I got hit by Hurrican Isabell back in September of '03 and was offline for over a week because of the electricity being out that long.

I had heard Katrina was about to shift horth, north-east and wind up in the east canada great lakes area. My Uncle lives there, on the shore of Lake Eerie, Lord, I bet he wishes he weren't so close to the water now!!!

349440[/snapback]

By the time the storm gets up there it will just be a rain storm with a little wind, nothing at all to worry about.

I've gone through many hurricanes here in the Hampton Roads area and as I've said in the past as long as no one is hurt and there is no real major damage I enjoy them.

from what I heard the last Hurricane they got gave them a six day storm. and they lived a lot further from the shore back then, now their house is pretty much like a beach house and its a shallow shore. I'm not worried though, they must have been prepared for this sorta thing when buying a shore front property.

from what I heard the last Hurricane they got gave them a six day storm. and they lived a lot further from the shore back then, now their house is pretty much like a beach house and its a shallow shore. I'm not worried though, they must have been prepared for this sorta thing when buying a shore front property.

349446[/snapback]

Yeah, it will cause rain for sure but like I said I always enjoy good storms. I've been told many times that I'm insane when it comes to hurricanes lol

If this last storm was headed toward this area though I'd have left and gone to Maryland (250 miles north). I'll stick around for a Cat 1 through 3 or 4 but I think I'd head out for a Cat 5.

hey, I'm the insane cow here (suffering of BSE, joke) I want to tornado chase. I love tornado's and weirdly enough per square mile the UK is supposed to have the most!

We're not expecting weather that is all that bad. The weather network is forecasting 15-30mm of rain where I live, so maybe an inch. The Niagara region could be hit by 50-100mm (4 inches)

I actually was camping at Sauble Falls Provincial Park last night (on lake Huron) and we got a thunderstorm (unrelated to Katrina). Not an experience I'd care to re-live. I can barely handle a T-storm when I'm at home.

Such experiences bring out the best and the worst of people.

On the one side you have volunteers and rescue workers going non-stop for days to bring relief to the displaced.

Then you have looters and price gougers. I can't believe people would walk right in front of a tv camera - arms full of stolen goods and not even care.

And September is usually the worst month for hurricanes - I'm really concerned there will be more coming.

We're not expecting weather that is all that bad. The weather network is forecasting 15-30mm of rain where I live, so maybe an inch. The Niagara region could be hit by 50-100mm (4 inches)

I actually was camping at Sauble Falls Provincial Park last night (on lake Huron) and we got a thunderstorm (unrelated to Katrina). Not an experience I'd care to re-live. I can barely handle a T-storm when I'm at home.

349450[/snapback]

I spoke to my mother tonight, she lives on the east coast of Michigan, mostly rain and cloud cover, nothing bad.

Kentucky is in the middle of it right now, but so far all we're getting is alot of rain.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people who have suffered because of Katrina so far.

Storms like this are one reason I'm glad I'm moving to California next month.

I was watching the news yesterday,and everyone was saying that New Orleans had escaped the dire predictions everyone had for the Crescent City,and then when I went online this morning I saw all those broken levy's and....boy oh,boy.Its a mess.

I've heard (at CNN.com) that two-thirds or more of New Orleans won't be habitable for weeks.

And natural disaster aside,the "usual gang of idiots" (looters) are taking advatage to break into stores and shops and steal as much as they can carry.The fools were actually dancing and pulling faces for the news camera's as they were kicking in doors and carrying stolen goods.

We had the news coverage on in the Social Sciences Office today, and....wow, that's about all I can say. I used to live down in the general area (near Pascagoula, MS) during the Late 80's when my Dad was assigned to PCU Chancellorsville (What a ship is called before it's Commissioned, and recieves it's USS Prefix) and I remember my parents boarding up the house in preparation for a Hurricane that never hit...

By the way, a couple of High-Profile folks were affected in one way or another by this. NFL Quarterback Brett Favre's house in Kill (is that the correct spelling?), Mississippi was destroyed by Katrina. However, all of his family had gone north before the storm. Also, NFL Quarterback and New Orleans native Payton Manning expressed his surprise at the extent of the damage to his home town. The New Orleans Saints left Sunday for Northern California before the storm hit, and my be forced to play all of their games at LSU for a few months while the situation in Nawlins is brought under control.

I saw the disaster on the news last night. Lots of people have been made homeless or injured or killed. When I first saw it I thought of all you guys here at STF.net. I pray to god you guys are safe. If I could do anything to help, I would. :tribble:

I remember hearing from Scott Stevens that he thinks that Hurricanes Katrina and Ivan are products of Russian weather manipulation technology

I KNEW THE RUSSIANS WERE BEHIND THIS!!!!!!!!!! :tribble:

Germany has Pledge help, also up here In PA, just alot of heavy rain, we migt get an half inch, not nearly as bad as what we had when Ivan hi last year that caused major Flooding around the River Basins of Pittsburgh

Such experiences bring out the best and the worst of people.

349454[/snapback]

That's true, I can't speak on the "worst" of people but when we were hit by Isabel in '03 the whole neighborhood banded together to help each other out. For those that weren't able to get around very well others would do things for them. One neighbor had to have his generator running 24 hours a day for health reasons, the problem was that his health problems prevented him from being able to operate the generator and put fuel in it and so on. So neighbors made sure that it was always running and always had oil and gas in it.

As annoying as it was to be without power for a week it was a good experience because it really helped the neighborhood to bond together.

My heart goes out to thoose people in the disaster area.

But as we know Americans are a giving and caring people.

(contrary to popular belief)

And as the rest of our country watches in horror and

disbelief. We as a nation will band together to do what ever is

nessassary to help these fine people.

We are as it states in the pledge of aligence after all

One nation under God.

Our prayers and thoughts and hearts are with you.

I hope our members in the affected areas are ok and my prayers go out to all.

I thought we had developed a way of knocking these things down with some sort of cloud seeding, what ever happened with that? :dude:

This may be a little off topic.

But i was watching CNN and they were showing the looting going

on in New Orleans. Not only are theese people crooks

and thiefs they are Incredibly Stupid.

They showed this one man carrying a TV.

There houses are gone and there is no power the city is flooded.

DUH!

If I was reduced to this i think i would be looking for

bottled water and caned food. not tv's and steros.

I hope our members in the affected areas are ok and my prayers go out to all.

349627[/snapback]

Well, I looked into it.

I assuming the 15 members that were referred to were the 8 in Florida, 3 in Eastern Texas, 2 in Mississippi, 1 in Louisiana, and 1 in Alabama.

Well, 6 of the 15 were active today: 4 Floridians and 2 Mississippians(?). Considering how hard Mississippi was hit, that is good news.

Another 6 (Alabama, 3 Texas, and 2 Florida) have been active in the last 3 months but not recently.

Of the remaining 3, 2 have not been active in 2005 (Louisiana and 1 Florida), and the last hasn't been active since early March.

Let's hope they're all just unable to access the Internet.