Sign in to follow this  
bluescreen1

Your first time

What was your first experience of Star Trek (TOS) and what really got you hooked?

I remember watching the second season of TNG and wanting to learn a bit about the show's history so I rented a copy of What Little Girls are Made Of and have gone on from there. Nice story.

Edited by bluescreen1

My very first memory of watching Star Trek is of being enthralled with Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan when I was very young, after that my first episode (that I remember) was Obsession. I had probably seen some other episodes on television before, as I was brought up with Star Trek, but that was the first video tape I owned of the show and I must have watched it many times as it has now stuck as my first memory of the classic series.

Where No Man Has Gone Before is my personal favourite episode of the original series and in my opinion the best of all the shows.

I started watching TOS from the first episode on (The Man Trap) and never looked back. I believe that I can say that I have watched every episode of every Trek show first run.

my dad was always a trekie, i watched it with him, so i was very young, but the TAS got me hooked when it was on Nick back in da Day

I started watching TOS from the first episode on (The Man Trap) and never looked back. I believe that I can say that I have watched every episode of every Trek show first run.

348652[/snapback]

Wow you have been there right from the start!!! B) B) B) B)

How would you say that the feel of Trek as a franchise and also the fanbase has changed over the years? I would be really interested to hear your thoughts.

I'm not into TOS and have only seen a few episodes, but I do have an answer...

My father got me into Star Trek, but TNG, not TOS. I watched it with him when it was on, and later on my own, and of course reruns. In my father's movie collection, he had an episode of TOS on videotape (purchased, not taped). No others, and no TNG episodes. I asked him about it and he said it was the one TOS episode worth owning. I watched it, and it was pretty good... Easily as good as some of the movies and any TNG/DS9/VOY episode. "The City on the Edge of Forever" is the name of it. I'm pretty sure it's a double.

Since then, I've seen part of "The Tholian Web" on TV, and I just watched "Mirror, Mirror" because I heard that a bunch of DS9 episodes reference it.

One day I'll watch TOS straight through.

348652[/snapback]

Wow your alot older then i thought, I think you might be as old as Jesus or Hulk Hogan now

LOL

B)

The thing I remember most is...........

When I was a kid (in the 70's) I used to stay up late with my older brother and watch reruns of TOS.

The eps. I remember most at that time was "Charlie X". I remember Charlie making that lady crew members face disappear (it kinda scared me) B)

Wow your alot older then i thought, I think you might be as old as Jesus or Hulk Hogan now

B)

My very first memory of watching Star Trek is of being enthralled with Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan when I was very young.

I agree.

Then I remember watching trouble with tribble with my uncle for hours on end on beta.

Wow you have been there right from the start!!!   

How would you say that the feel of Trek as a franchise and also the fanbase has changed over the years? I would be really interested to hear your thoughts.

I can remember that back in the days following the cancellation of TOS, Star Trek was treated with a great deal of reverence. We only had 79 episodes of Star Trek total yet we always had something new to talk about. Conventions were a lot of fun back then too. They weren't the money grabbing rip-offs that they are today. The TOS stars were very available and accessible to the fans back then. I used to work with the Star Trek Welcomittee. This was an organization whose main goal was to answer questions from Trek fans. Fans would write in (with pen and paper! Computers weren't around yet!!!) and the letters would be distributed among the Committee members. We would then try to answer the fans questions as best we could and mail (Yes.....mail.......with a stamp and everything!) them back the answers. I remember spending many hours engrossed in the Star Trek Concordance trying to come up with the answers.

I feel that today's Trek fan is a bit jaded and way too nit-picky. There is so much Trek available now that it has ceased to be the precious thing that TOS was to us back then. Conventions are now just huge money grabs.

Every time I see this thread, I think, could it not have been worded better. :tribble::flowers:

I don't know, I think it was my brothers watching it in rerun that got me addicted

I watched the very first episode in 1966 - I still remember seeing the new season adds and can vaguely remember the artwork they used.

I can't believe next year will be forty years. :tribble:

My oldest brother used to watch TOS reruns back in the 70s.I have really faint memories of watching it with him,and of playing with his Trek toys (he had a plastic fold-out Enterprise bridge playset with a turbolift spinning thing).He had a lot of the Mego figures....

I don't remember if I liked it or not as a kid.I guess,I did.

I was more into the Bionic Man back then.

I got hooked on Trek around the time of the release of The Wrath of Khan.

I don't remember my first experience with Star Trek, I was only about 5 days old. My first active memories of Star Trek go back to about 1973 or 1974 and watching the old reruns and then TAS. I was hooked on Star Trek at a very early age and long before TNG was even an idea.

Ah, there's a fond memory. My very first ANYTHING Star Trek was "Mirror, Mirror." I wasn't all that into Star Trek until my Dad actually talked me into seeing Insurrection. From then on I was hooked, mostly on TOS, TNG was later, then VOY, and finally DS9. (ENT was never all that great for me.)

Well after I got into Trek I watched a few episodes of TNG and a few episodes of TOS, and what can I say, a bit later on TNG pushed TOS out of the nest. About after I joined here. Then all TNG until DS9 started airing on TNN. I still watch some TOS, but mainly DS9 now. Mostly because I've seen just about EVERY episode of TNG, but I do catch an episode or two a day.

Edited by sea trooper

As for me, I started with film "The wrath of Khan". I began watching it since the middle of the film. And I almost cried in the end - when Spock died... And I didn't know till this year, how he survived. Our TV don't want to show Star Trek :(

It is so about films and serials.

And only now after three years I returned to Trek-World. And I'm happy! :lol: Because I'm not alone.

OH yes my first time you never forget your first time lol it was reruns in the 70's that did it for me I was 2 months old when Star Trek TOS came out I love telling people I was born in the year of Star Trek lol it was mirror, mirror the first episode I have seen and I have never looked back. I just need to finish getting the last two seaon of TOS I got the first season got to love it.

Brian

my dad got me hooked, although i found the tos eps boring (sorry). Now i am a bigger fan than my father, a case of the student out growing the master.

Reruns on CBC Sunday Mornings my older Brother and I would watch classic TOS this was probably a few years before ST:TMP came out so for the longest time afterwards I watched TOS possibly TAS when it was on T.V? but saw the first 2 movies on T.V really saw the 4th one ST:IV on my own in the theatre this was also 4 years before (TNG the first run Sydicated show was on air)and all the other spinoffs I saw till Ent.

and of course all the remaining TOS films till TUC (TNG films-Generations-Nemesis).

:dontgetit: :blink: :yawn: B)

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I first watched TOS when I was very very young. I can't remember how old I was but I was old enough to remember that the captain was also a policeman. I didn't get hooked then. Later in my late teens, my ex girlfriend introduced me to ST. I couldn't understand why she was so fascinated with the show. But for her sake, I'd watch it. I discovered the captain was a different man. He was bald. (Picard). That's when I started getting mildly hooked.

Couple of years back, I discovered a treasure of Star Wars vs Star Trek fan fic online and started reading. That's when I really got hooked to Star Trek. Although I'd say TNG was the one that really got me hooked, I think my first contact with ST would be TOS. That was what planted the seeds.