Sign in to follow this  
Temporal Insurgent

What If...alternate "Skin of Evil"

What would have happened if the mission to Vegra II had gone differently?

If Yar was not killed, but one of the other characters?

How would the Yar character develop if say Riker had died and she was promoted to first officer? (or if Picard had died an she became XO under Captain Riker?)

What would have happened if the mission to Vegra II had gone differently?

If Yar was not killed, but one of the other characters?

How would the Yar character develop if say Riker had died and she was promoted to first officer? (or if Picard had died an she became XO under Captain Riker?)

346577[/snapback]

First off, Tasha Yar would not have been promoted to first officer. If Riker had died, Data, the second officer, would have assumed the role of first officer, at least temporarily.

It would have been terrible if Tasha had not been killed off. Worf was much better as security chief. Tasha Yar was a terrible character, IMO.

I agree Data would be the logical choice for 1st officer, but given the level of anti-android feelings in the federation, I doubt he would be promoted.

Data had more experience than any other officer on the Enterprise with the exception of Picard himself yet he was only the second officer.

During the Borg Incursion he was overlooked yet again when Com. Shelby was promoted to XO. (as if she couldn't continue to give advice on the borg without being second in command of the ship)

Even in the alternate timeline (Parallels) when Picard was killed in 'best of both worlds' Worf was Riker's xo not Data. (Even wesley had been made a full Lt.!)

So I don't believe Data would be seen as first officer material. (though I think he would be a great xo)

There is a chain of command. If the first officer is killed, the second officer would automatically take his/her place until a successor was named by the captain.

That is what happened in BOBW and in Gambit, Picard was declared dead and Riker assumed command. In BOBW, Riker was given a field promotion and then chose Shelby as his first officer. In Gambit, Data acted as first officer then assumed command when Riker was kidnapped. Also in the episode Chain of Command, when Riker was relieved of duty by Jellico, Data became first officer (even wearing the command red uniform).

I think Picard would have chosen Data over Tasha. He wouldn't have chosen Data for second officer if he thought Data would be incapable of the duties which would include taking command of the ship when required.

I do agree that Starfleet didn't treat Data fairly but Picard did. Data's status wasn't in question until season 2 so it wouldn't have played a part in his being promoted in season 1.

Starfleets attitude seemed to have been data is a machine til Picard defended him in court and as far as chain of command and gambit these episodes took place after years of Data proving himself onboard the flagship of the Federation (thus destroying alot of bigotry, like he did during his own command in redemption 1 and 2)

so federation views were quite different in 2364 than they later became, but lets assume you are right and picard or riker (whichever survives) promotes Data, what happens to yar (promoted to ops?)

What effects would this have on the development of Tng?

If Riker was killed, Data would be made First Officer, Yar transferred to OPS and Worf would assume chief of security. There could have been a lot of friction between Worf and Yar about the right was to do security. That would have been interesting.

Why not killing Beverly? :twisted: :rolleyes: They'd only have to worry about a new CMO then and the chain of command could have remained intact. :rolleyes:

If Tasha hadn't died then I can't see how they would have brought Worfs character into the show, he probably would have remained as a background character for the whole series and wouldn't have gotten involved in DS9.

As regards to DataI disagee. I think he had the respect of Star Fleet throughout his career with the exception of a few officers of course but in saying that I'm sure there would have been a few objecions to Worf and Nog joining Star Fleet too. Data wasn't the most experienced officer after Picard, he may have been the most experienced after Riker. Also if he didn't have te respect of Star Fleet he would never have been made a Lt. Commander, third in command of the flagship, and never would have recieved the vast amount of medals he did.

Starfleets attitude seemed to have been data is a machine til Picard defended him in court and as far as chain of command and gambit these episodes took place after years of Data proving himself onboard the flagship of the Federation (thus destroying alot of bigotry, like he did during his own command in redemption 1 and 2)

so federation views were quite different in 2364 than they later became, but lets assume you are right and picard or riker (whichever survives) promotes Data, what happens to yar (promoted to ops?)

What effects would this have on the development of Tng?

346587[/snapback]

The hearing in The Measure of a Man should never have been allowed because Maddox's contention that Data was property should have been shot down by Captain Louvois immediately. The decision of that Starfleet committee, that Maddox had been the lone dissenter on, to allow Data to enter the Academy was the first ruling regarding Data's rights. Data's status wasn't called into question for 20 years. That should have been used as a precedent to disallow Maddox's claim before a hearing was even held.

Data was found by the crew of the Tripoli in 2338. He was an Academy cadet from 2341-45. When he was found, Starfleet didn't claim him as property. For the 3 years before he joined the Academy, Starfleet didn't claim him as property. From the date he joined the Academy in 2341 until 2365 when Maddox tried to claim otherwise, Starfleet didn't claim Data as property.

As for Yar, I wouldn't change a thing. If TNG had been a bad series then maybe I would do the "what ifs" but TNG was fantastic.

While I don't think that StarFleet would have considered him "a toaster" he was never the less, discriminated against.

He graduated the academy in 2345, almost 20 years before the first season of TNG. (Riker by contrast was only 10 years old in '45)

In other words in 2364 riker had been a officer for 7 years, but Data had served for 19 years! Data had the experience of a human of 41 years old when riker was only 29.

I think its quite possible that Data would be pasted over yet again, though I think either Picard or Riker would have fought to promote him to XO anyway.

But what if data had been "killed" by Armus? Who could replace him?

While I don't think that StarFleet would have considered him "a toaster" he was never the less, discriminated against.

He graduated the academy in 2345, almost 20 years before the first season of TNG. (Riker by contrast was only 10 years old in '45)

In other words in 2364 riker had been a officer for 7 years, but Data had served for 19 years! Data had the experience of a human of 41 years old when riker was only 29.

346827[/snapback]

That probably took so long because perhaps when Data was a junior officer he just performed his duties. Much like alternate-Picard in "Tapestry" if Data had just quietly performed his duties in the backround, never stood out, never did anything to get noticed (he could memorize the rulebook and stay within the regs) he would remain in the lower ranks for a long time. Alternate-Picard was still only a Lt. (j.g.? I can't remember) in his "play it safe" life though at the age he would be in the regular timeline.

Ok, my topic-hikack is complete. Sorry for any inconvenience. :rolleyes:

Ok, my topic-hikack is complete.  Sorry for any inconvenience.  :rolleyes:

346919[/snapback]

You're right and I apologize for letting that happen.

If Tasha had stayed there would have been major changes in the series. TPTB were going to get rid of the character of Deanna Troi after season 1 but when Denise Crosby decided to leave and they decided to switch doctors, they kept Troi. Personally, I like Deanna Troi. Yes her character did state the obvious quite often but I still liked her. I also much prefer Marina Sirtis to Denise Crosby.

So with Tasha gone, we got a much more developed Worf and we got to keep Deanna. If Deanna had been written out, there would have been no Lwaxana Troi. I like Lwaxana too.

I just things probably would have gone the way they did for ages.

all that would happen is:

"Hailing frequencies open"

"Hailing frequencies closed"

thats it!

honestly, she wasnt important enough, NOT to be killed off

If Riker was killed, Data would be made First Officer, Yar transferred to OPS and Worf would assume chief of security.  There could have been a lot of friction between Worf and Yar about the right was to do security.  That would have been interesting.

346588[/snapback]

OPS and Security Cheif are positions, not ranks. Why would Yar and Worf have to be "promoted" to those positions when there are other junior officers who already have experience in those fields?

I think its quite possible that Data would be pasted over yet again, though I think either Picard or Riker would have fought to promote him to XO anyway.

346827[/snapback]

Riker (and Shelby) had ambition. Data did not. It stands to reason that Starfleet would only promote an officer who shows by their actions that they WANT to be promoted.

But what if data had been "killed" by Armus? Who could replace him?

346827[/snapback]

Wesley. ;) :lol: :P :naughty: Shocking, but probably true.

Data wouldn't have been killed.

He's not a living being

And Armos wanted some enjoyment with him.

He wouldn't have gotton any

From the standpoint of TNG the television show I believe the show got better after Tasha died. It's impossible to say how the show would have developed with her there but looking at the direction that it took I'm happy with it. It meant that Worf was developed in ways that he never would have with Tasha there and Worf was far more interesting then Tasha.