Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Gonna start watching DS9 all the way through

Does "Anything" include
Click For Spoiler
get high-speed Internet and download them via BitTorrent?  I agree completely about the price of the series: maybe it could be argued that they're really worth that much, but it's still a LOT of money.  I know people who are into Anime who think nothing of spending hundreds of dollars to own a complete series on DVD.  I just can't see doing that... One day I would like to have TNG, DS9, and Voyager on DVD, but I can't afford it (well, I can, but then I wouldn't have money for things like food and rent, which tend to be more important).

If I knew how to do it... :wink2:

And Defiant is a great episode too!

You a TNG fan?

Edited by sea trooper

Yes, TNG is the original Trek to me, that's what I grew up on. And I did watch "Defiant" and I'm glad I did! It was a great episode. It furthered the relationship between Dukat and Sisko, which was an aspect of the 2-part "The Search" that I enjoyed. And of course I enjoyed seeing the return of Thomas Riker. Jonathan Frakes is a great actor, IMHO underrated because he's a human. After all, Data and Worf stole the show, and Geordi's visor and Troi's.... outfits... drew attention as well. But I always thought Riker made an excellent commander. TNG will always have the best captain/commander, IMHO. They just did a great job across the board.

Yeah, I'm a TNG fan.

One of our old members really liked "Defiant" also because it featured Tom Riker.

While I liked TNG and the Picard/Riker command team they wouldn't be my favorite of all of Trek. If I had to pick a favorite command team it would probably be Kirk/Spock. But if I had to pick a favorite Captain it would probably be Sisko.

I can't agree or disagree about Kirk and Spock because I'm not familiar with TOS. I like Spock but only because of assumptions about him because he's Vulcan (and from the movies).

"Fascination" was an interesting episode where Lwaxana Troi's crush on Odo is projected about the station, and everyone has a crush on everyone else. Here's what I can remember:

Click For Spoiler
Lwaxana Troi>>Odo, Jake Sisko>>Major Kira, Vedek Bareil>>Jadzia Dax, Jadzia Dax>>Ben Sisko, Bashr>>Kira, Kira>>Bashir (the only mutual pair), and Quark>>Keiko. Miles and Molly O'Brien were not affected; every other character either had a crush or someone had a crush on them.

The two-parter "Past Tense" was pretty good, a time-travel episode. :tribble:

Offtopic: My latest desktop environment. I don't like changing my wallpaper, but when I do, I move everything around. No default settings for me. And sorry about the size, that's actually the setting I use (19" monitors rock).

aug31desk0ek.th.jpg

"Fascination" was a pretty ammusing episode, especially at the end with Quark. The funny thing about Bashir/Kira is that they wound up having a real relationship in real life and even had a baby together. I don't know if they got together before or after this episode though.

As for 19" monitors, I can't speak to that. I went right from a 17" monitor to a 27" flat screen HDTV/Monitor. Saying it rocks is an understatement.

Click For Spoiler

That's exactly what I'm after. I'm thinking 30", but not flat-panel, that's too expensive. A Wal-Mart in NC had some CRT HDTVs around $800-$900, 30" Widescreen. I'm thinking of one day hooking my computer up to that.

Problem with that is, Star Trek episodes are Fullscreen. Oh well, the movies aren't (and I always buy movies in widescreen, because I always knew one day I'd have a wide-angle TV).

Kira and Bashir? No, nothing before this episode. What about Bareil?

Hoping to get back to the Dominion/Jem'Hadar stuff soon. :tribble:

One thing I'm not believing is Molly (O'Brien's daughter). I have a friend who has a daughter that age, and she never stops talking, even if it's just random stuff. I've never known a kid that age that stayed quiet longer than a minute or so. If the producers intended her not to be an annoyance... well, it's unbelievable for someone who's been around kids that age. :flowers: But then, in the 24th century, they don't listen to much rock music, civilization is a lot more civilized, so who knows, kids may be better behaved in the 24th century...

Kira and Bashir?  No, nothing before this episode.  What about Bareil?

349542[/snapback]

VBG meant Alexander Siddig and Nana Visitor, the real life couple. Not Kira and Bashir. Kira never hooks up with Bashir, but Nana Visitor and Alexander Siddig married and had a child named Django. They've since divorced.

Hoping to get back to the Dominion/Jem'Hadar stuff soon. :flowers:

349542[/snapback]

They do meander a bit in every season of DS9 .... I guess they felt that too much of the Dominion would have made them commonplace. There is a much stronger intensity over the entire situation beginning about the time that Worf joins the crew (Season 4).

One thing I'm not believing is Molly (O'Brien's daughter).  I have a friend who has a daughter that age, and she never stops talking, even if it's just random stuff.  I've never known a kid that age that stayed quiet longer than a minute or so.  If the producers intended her not to be an annoyance... well, it's unbelievable for someone who's been around kids that age. :hug: But then, in the 24th century, they don't listen to much rock music, civilization is a lot more civilized, so who knows, kids may be better behaved in the 24th century...

349542[/snapback]

You are so right about Molly ... what an automaton! I think they lobotomized her prior to coming to DS9 (probably Keiko's idea :tribble: ). Don't you just love how Miles and Keiko will just go into the big lip-lock and forget Molly is standing right there? Then they'll just say something like, "Go to your room and play for a little while, sweetheart," and off Molly trots, actually leaving the O'Briens ALONE.

Take it from the mother of a 6 year old .... that would never work! You're lucky to get 15 minutes of peace and alone time during a kid's waking hours. Certainly not enough time to do what Miles and Keiko have on THEIR minds! :hug:

You aren't going to get a whole lot of the Dominion until season 6. You'll get a little here and there but the finale of season 5 really kicks off the Dominion arcs.

In season 5 you'll want to pay close attention to "Rapture", specifically the last 10 or 15 minutes. Also from season 5 one of my favorite 2 parters is "In Purgatory's Shadow" & "By Inferno's Light". That's a very important Dominion 2 parter that sets up the season finale and the final 2 seasons of the series.

As for the monitor I have, it cost $699 at CompUSA when I got it.

One thing I'm not believing is Molly (O'Brien's daughter). I have a friend who has a daughter that age, and she never stops talking, even if it's just random stuff. I've never known a kid that age that stayed quiet longer than a minute or so. If the producers intended her not to be an annoyance... well, it's unbelievable for someone who's been around kids that age.  But then, in the 24th century, they don't listen to much rock music, civilization is a lot more civilized, so who knows, kids may be better behaved in the 24th century...

I like Molly, but her character doesn't really develop at all, at least not until an episode of season 6. Molly is just an emotion host for Miles and Keiko.

Edited by sea trooper

Hey, I Googled Weyoun and pulled up the ST.com page on him... Didn't we see that guy in the 2-part "The Search", the guy negotiating with the Starfleet admiral? I kept seeing his name mentioned in the forums, and once I saw that guy in "The Search" I realized I'd seen him before somewhere... on DS9 on TV.

I specifically remember seeing parts of the last episode I watched, "Life Support" when DS9 was on TV. I remembered the Jake/Nog bits, specifically the double date that went bad. When I watched it earlier today, it was just like "I've seen this scene before". Good episode too, and too bad about Vedek Bareil... not that he was much use other than a love interest for Kira.

Speaking of Molly... this "The Petersons" that Keiko keeps saying she's staying with... Who are they? We've established that all the Bajoran kids have been taken back to Bajor since the introduction of the Dominion, leaving only Jake and Nog to teach. Does this other family also have a pre-school-aged child? If so, why don't we ever see them talking to the O'Briens? Of course they're probably just non-characters, just a name thrown out there to have one to use. A weak point in the story but not in an important area.

I've always thought kids were a major weak spot in Star Trek. Like they would be used mostly as props to help drum up sympathy for the good guys. It's one thing to see a starship with soldiers and the occasional girlfriend get shot up, but if there are children on board it's a little different. They're quick to exploit something about kids as an episode's plot point (the imaginary friend episode from TNG comes to mind) but they seem to get the details all wrong. I didn't really like any of the teenagers (Wesley Crusher from TNG, Jake Sisko and Nog from DS9). They each get a decent episode here and there, but their characters are otherwise uninteresting. With the exception of Naomi (who was born on Voyager and went through a few "stages" of childhood) the others just seem to be "just there". I remember Worf having a son, Alexander, but I don't remember anything happening with him. I dunno... It's like kids are completely different in the 24th century.

Another thing about Trek's future civilization I don't get is the toned-down romance. I mean, wow. The detachment these characters have is amazing. The platonic relationships flourish -- Sisko and his son, O'Brien and Bashir, Kira and Jadzia, Sisko and Dax -- but the romantic ones are very limited. One Voyager episode I really liked was "Night", I think the opener for season 5. The one where they're in the starless space and there is literally nothing but black empty space for several light-years. When they re-enter starry space, I like how they address the beauty of the cosmos that they can see in every episode. If I had my girlfriend on a ship with me, we'd spend a lot of time looking out at the different stellar phenomenon. If on DS9, we'd be one of the couples watching the wormhole open.

Nothing against Trek, because it is so good in so many ways, it's just a gripe I have. :dude:

I like Molly, but her character doesn't really develop at all, at least not until an episode of season 6.

349613[/snapback]

That was a pretty good episode. I just watched it again a few weeks ago.

Hey, I Googled Weyoun and pulled up the ST.com page on him... Didn't we see that guy in the 2-part "The Search", the guy negotiating with the Starfleet admiral?  I kept seeing his name mentioned in the forums, and once I saw that guy in "The Search" I realized I'd seen him before somewhere... on DS9 on TV.

349622[/snapback]

That was a different Vorta in "The Search", Weyoun, played by Jeffrey Combs becomes the main Vorta that we get to know. Though we do meet a few others. In fact Iggy Pop plays a Vorta in season 6 (one of my favorite episodes).

Speaking of Molly... this "The Petersons" that Keiko keeps saying she's staying with... Who are they? 

349622[/snapback]

They never really tell us who they are, not that I can remember anyway.

Another thing about Trek's future civilization I don't get is the toned-down romance.  I mean, wow.  The detachment these characters have is amazing.  The platonic relationships flourish -- Sisko and his son, O'Brien and Bashir, Kira and Jadzia, Sisko and Dax  -- but the romantic ones are very limited.  One Voyager episode I really liked was "Night", I think the opener for season 5.  The one where they're in the starless space and there is literally nothing but black empty space for several light-years.  When they re-enter starry space, I like how they address the beauty of the cosmos that they can see in every episode.  If I had my girlfriend on a ship with me, we'd spend a lot of time looking out at the different stellar phenomenon.  If on DS9, we'd be one of the couples watching the wormhole open.

Nothing against Trek, because it is so good in so many ways, it's just a gripe I have. :dude:

349622[/snapback]

You'll get a good dose of romance in future seasons. There's a few examples in the Video Fault in the form of videos I made. In fact, the final 3 seasons are full of romance. I'd name names but only if you want to know.

but the romantic ones are very limited

Romances will pop up here and there, nothing serious until later seasons. Season 6 is the season of love. :wink2:

Edited by sea trooper

Well, coming from Voyager, I would be wrong to say that the Star Trek universe is lacking romance... As far as I can tell, Tom Paris got lucky with every main female but Seven... for some reason, he never got lucky there. (I only count Janeway because of the episode where they both "evolve" into reptilian creatures and mate in that form.)

I just mean that when they do imply a romance, it's very toned down.

The only romance-to-be I'm aware of is Worf and Jadzia.

OK, I can see it's a different Vorta... they just look a lot alike... or more to the point, when I saw the Vorta in "The Search" I thought "Hey! I've seen that guy in other episodes on TV... maybe he's that Weyoun guy I keep hearing about."

ST.com is a bad site to visit if you don't want spoilers. You can look up any character and it has a wealth of information, including spoilers. I guess that's the point, and I should have known that going in, but... until I get done with DS9, no more ST.com for me for anything.

You know what's interesting about Star Trek? The episode titles... most of them are so good at telling you what the episode is about, but without spoiling anything. And it's dead on more often than not. Consider, "Heart of Stone". There's a stone-like anomaly affecting Major Kira. The term "heart of stone" could be used to describe the Founders, and it applies to Quark as we see him in this episode as well. Someone at Paramount is brilliant...

...And just finished watching "Destiny"... Good episode for O'Brien and especially Sisko. A step forward in O'Brien's feelings towards "Cardies" and a step forward in the peace treaty, plus more back story on the Bajoran religion. Good episode overall.

Yes, I wrote this as I watched the last couple... better post it, seeing as how some people never leave... :dude:

Well, coming from Voyager, I would be wrong to say that the Star Trek universe is lacking romance... As far as I can tell, Tom Paris got lucky with every main female but Seven... for some reason, he never got lucky there.  (I only count Janeway because of the episode where they both "evolve" into reptilian creatures and mate in that form.)

I just mean that when they do imply a romance, it's very toned down.

The only romance-to-be I'm aware of is Worf and Jadzia.

OK, I can see it's a different Vorta... they just look a lot alike... or more to the point, when I saw the Vorta in "The Search" I thought "Hey!  I've seen that guy in other episodes on TV... maybe he's that Weyoun guy I keep hearing about."

ST.com is a bad site to visit if you don't want spoilers.  You can look up any character and it has a wealth of information, including spoilers.  I guess that's the point, and I should have known that going in, but... until I get done with DS9, no more ST.com for me for anything.

You know what's interesting about Star Trek?  The episode titles... most of them are so good at telling you what the episode is about, but without spoiling anything.  And it's dead on more often than not.  Consider, "Heart of Stone".  There's a stone-like anomaly affecting Major Kira.  The term "heart of stone" could be used to describe the Founders, and it applies to Quark as we see him in this episode as well.  Someone at Paramount is brilliant...

...And just finished watching "Destiny"... Good episode for O'Brien and especially Sisko.  A step forward in O'Brien's feelings towards "Cardies" and a step forward in the peace treaty, plus more back story on the Bajoran religion.  Good episode overall.

Yes, I wrote this as I watched the last couple... better post it, seeing as how some people never leave... :dude:

349754[/snapback]

Heart of Stone was important for future seasons for a couple of reasons, one reason is...

Slight "spoiler" but not in terms of any plot information.

Click For Spoiler

The other, which I think may be more important is for Nog's future development and desire to join Starfleet. This sort of sets up a great season 4 episode "Little Green Men". Now that was a really funny and fun episode.

The part of "Destiny" that I loved was when the Cardassian woman thought O'Brien wanted her lol

Yes, I almost forgot about Nog... thanks for reminding me. At first I thought it was a scam of some sort, but it makes sense... that's really cool if he does join.

That part of "Destiny" kind of reminded me of the line in "Generations", "I hope for your sake you were initiating a Klingon mating ritual." LOL. Ah, it's funny, the different ways of the different species.

Just watched "The Visionary"... pretty good episode, except I got sick in the middle. Though I don't think I can blame the episode for it... every time O'Brien shifted, it seemed to compound this dizziness/vertigo I felt, and about halfway through, I lost it. But I'm fine now.

I've got one more episode, "Distant Voices", until I reach the next mirror universe episode "Through the Looking Glass." ...oh, wait... "Distant Voices"... that's the one I saw part of on TV... heh... and you're right, VBG, I really did like that episode. :dude: Now I should be getting to sleep, but that mirror universe episode is VERY tempting...

In "Distant Voices" at the end, there is what appears to be a Jem'Hadar in the mix! Same colored skin, same texture, but more pronounced eye ridges like a Cardassian, I think. But it looked too much like a JH to be a coincidence. At the very end when Bashir and Garak are talking, pay attention to the left side of the screen, Garak's side. At one point he appears behind Garak. But we also see this "extra" socializing and shake someone's hand, so it couldn't be a JH... firstly all they think about is killing, and second they consider all species but JH and Changelings to be vastly inferior. It's like the alien that looks like The Predator... I think that was on Voyager, and then only 2-3 times, but it's obvious where they got that alien.

^^Speaking of "The Predator" lookalike ... isn't the make-up just incredible on some of these aliens? Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, and a whole host of others .... it's just incredible how far Star Trek raised the bar for this sort of thing. They've been doing this elaborate make-up since forever .... I think in many ways they paved the way for movies like Predator and Lord of the Rings as far as designing and using these fantastic latex costumes.

Ooooh, I really liked that episode "The Visionary." I loved it when Miles and Miles were both slinging fists in Quark's .... that was really good.

You will be coming up on some of my favorite episodes from DS9.

The fourth season had alot of episodes such as "The Visitor" "Hippocratic Oath" and "Little Green Men" that rank among my favorites although there are very few episodes that I don't consider favorites, lol.

Click For Spoiler
TheRealAltovar.jpg

It does indeed look like a Jem'Hadar/Cardassian/Predator mix :dude:

Click For Spoiler

It does indeed look like a Jem'Hadar/Cardassian/Predator mix :dude:

349892[/snapback]

It's been a little while since I've seen this episode, was that photo taken before Bashir was "out" or while he was "out"?

It was the very end when he was out and talking to Garak that Altovar tripped the security in sickbay. It's just a very bad picture of him lol.

I want to watch Voyager. I'd do anything but spend $100+ for each season...

The only series I own on DVD is Voyager; however, I didn't & wouldn't spend $100.00 for each ep. If you look on ebay or half.com you can get 'em for maybe $60+ per ep. (some have deals for the whole thing -- seasons 1-7). The only thing I'd suggest is to buy from reputable dealers (ratings of 98% plus) and watch out where (what country) you buy it from. As I'd never want to denegrate any country PM me if you want to know which ones I've been advised to watch out for.

I search eBay all the time for cheap Voyager seasons. The 1-7 seasons are $200+, and they don't sell the Asian versions like I buy of DS9 and my suppliers don't tell me if they will ever get it.

Just watched "Explorers". How can you hate the Cardies after that? Not only do they eat their words, they put on fireworks for the Siskos and presumably give them a lift back to DS9. And O'Brien and Bashir getting drunk together. What a fun episode! :dude:

The two-parter "Improbable Cause" and "The Die is Cast" were great, about Garak rejoining the Cardassians, and the Cardassians and Romulans leading an assault on the Founders. That was a nice battle. 150 Jem'Hadar ships... wow.

The mirror universe episode "Through the Looking Glass" was pretty good, about mirror O'Brien kidnapping Sisko to help rescue the mirror Jennifer Sisko, who is still alive. I was kind of hoping he would have brought her back to his own universe... that would have been pretty nifty, if a little weird.

@VBG: It's at 43'11 on my video. Right at the end. During the last few lines between Bashir and Garak before the credits roll.

How can you hate the Cardies after that?

Not that hard :dude:

And there are future mirror episodes to look forward to. Each one gets better.

Oh, I know a few reasons the Cardies are bad news. First that they're modeled after the Nazis, and second for a future alliance I'm not supposed to know about but caught wind of. So my position on them given the episodes I've seen is that they have a very totalitarian society, but get a Cardassian away from Cardassia Prime for a while and he becomes an OK guy.

I forgot to mention, "Explorers" is the first episode in which we see Sisko sporting a moustache and a goatee. Jake calls attention to it straight away.

Cardassians are all the same. None will ever be an Okay Guy. But that's my opinion as a Bajoran.

Garak is a "good guy", you just have to hope he likes you lol.

I believe "Shattered Mirror" is your next Mirror Universe episode, which I believe is another season away for you. That was a really good one also.

"Explorers" was a great episode, I may have to watch that later this afternoon. It should still be on one of my TiVo's.

I like Garak... and Gul Dukat.

Shattered Mirror... season 4 episode 20. In some circles that would be considered a lucky episode. Though I wouldn't know anything about that. :dude:

I'm going to finish Season 3 tomorrow. Three more to go. I will probably also watch the 2-part "The Way of the Warrior" that kicks off Season 4. Who knows, maybe I can finish Season 4 by the time I leave (Sept. 12).

Garak is a "good guy", you just have to hope he likes you lol.

I suppose... :dude: :dude:

Shattered Mirror... season 4 episode 20. In some circles that would be considered a lucky episode. Though I wouldn't know anything about that.  :dude:

I do not understand :dude:

I will probably also watch the 2-part "The Way of the Warrior" that kicks off Season 4.

Fantastic episodes. And season 4 has the best season finale next to the season 5 IMO.