Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Gonna start watching DS9 all the way through

Are you sure about Naomi's dad?  I was pretty sure they said he was stationed on DS9, in one of the Voyager episodes.  Not just because Voyager left DS9, but I believe DS9 was expressly named later.  Though I will admit I am or was confused on the point of her father, as I thought he was on board Voyager, until I asked in another thread.

348631[/snapback]

I'll have to go through my DVD's but I'm almost positive that it was another DS, not DS9. When I get back from my upcoming trip to Maryland I'll see if I can find that.

In one of the last couple episodes I watched, probably "Armageddon Game"... yeah, that was it, he was telling O'Brien about the girl he almost fell in love with.  He said he was in Paris.  He's European for sure.  I'd believe England, but my instincts are leaning towards France.

348631[/snapback]

Yeah, he does mention Paris but that's the only reference to France where Bashir is concerned. The accent isn't at all french plus when we meet his parents in "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" (I think that's season 5) you get the impression that they are Indian or Pakistanian or even Malaysia. At least that was my impression. They always keep his nationality a mystery though so we should probably just default to Siddig's real ancestry which is Egyptian and British.

I can see DS9 as an Old Western town.  At least the Promenade.  Quark's the barkeep and Odo is the sherrif.  Wasn't the original Star Trek, TOS, supposed to be a cross between sci-fi and westerns?  I read somewhere, someone making this point, saying Kirk was like the cowboy hero and Spock was his Indian companion.  I can't say one way or the other, I'm not a big fan of westerns... or TOS.

348631[/snapback]

That was exactly the parallel that they made in the bonus discs, that TOS was the "Wagon Train to the Stars" so DS9 was the old western town where the Promenade had all of the elements of the "main street". Quarks was the bar and Security was the Sheriffs station.

Can't wait for things to improve between Bashir and O'Brien... it's the one thing about O'Brien I can't get past at the moment.  And Garak... So far I think he's only been in 2-3 episodes.  I remember seeing him a couple times when DS9 was on TV (when it was new), does he become more prevelant later?

348631[/snapback]

Garak is awesome, but we don't really get to see a whole lot of him at any time.  There are several excellent Garak episodes coming up.

I think they were smart in their sparing use of Garak.  It just adds to the mystery of the man, you know?

The more hair Ben Sisko shaved off, the cooler he got.  I really like his look from season 4 on ... shaved head, goattee. 

Is Paradise the episode about the changeling infiltration of earth?  I can't remember.

348639[/snapback]

I believe that Bashir and O'Brien's friendship was the best of any Trek relationship, it starts to improve soon.

As for Garak, he wasn't in a whole lot of episodes in the first 2 1/2 to 3 seasons but around the middle of the 3rd or 4th seasons he's in a lot more and by the time seasons 6 and 7 roll around he's in just about every episode. He's one of my favorite characters from DS9.

//edit: Just got home, DS9 is on Spike.  Only Bashir, Garak, and Quark are on the station, everything's out but life support and turbolifts, Bashir's hair is going grey, and Garak suggests the Dominion.  I left once I realized it was really far ahead.  Though it was nice to get a taste of things to come. B) And good to see it's on TV as reruns. B)

348643[/snapback]

"Distant Voices" was a really good episode, I believe that was 3rd season. I think you'll enjoy that one.

I just checked over at ST.COM and found Naomi's father's name is Greskrendtregk, a Ktarian.

Here's ST.COM's entry for him:

Episode: VOY 134 - Dreadnought

Ktarian man, husband of Starfleet officer Samantha Wildman. He and Ensign Wildman conceived a child in 2371 just prior to her ill-fated stint aboard the U.S.S. Voyager, and their daughter, Naomi Wildman, was born in the Delta Quadrant. Greskrendtregk, therefore, has not met his daughter yet.

Captain Janeway met Greskrendtregk on Deep Space 9 before Voyager departed for the Badlands and got thrust into the Delta Quadrant.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/libr...io/1119022.html

This indicates that he was at DS9 but not that he was stationed there. Either way we never see him on DS9 and to my knowledge we never even here his name mentioned.

In thinking back to when I watched "Dreadnought" I do now recall the reference to DS9, for some reason I was thinking they mentioned a different DS but I was mistaken or got it confused with another episode that mentions a different DS.

@SusanD, re:Paradise: No no no... here's what they should have done. Normal ending, but they also beam up the "box". Then Sisko forces her into it, locks it... then has O'Brien seal it and put life support on it... Then they beam it into space, put a tractor beam on it, and set a course for the nearest star, full impulse, dropping the tractor beam and pulling away at the last minute. B) For kicks, tape it and send it down to the planet. How's that for an "example"? Torture is barbaric and those who practice it deserve a taste of their own medicine.

//edit: Whoops, didn't see there was a page 2. I do that a lot on boards. Anyway...

I remember complaining (unfoundedly, now that I've seen it all) that Voyager didn't feature enough extras, since in reality the whole 150+ crew would be like family, not just the senior staff, and someone pointed out that Voyager used extras more than any other Trek. So it's possible he was stationed there, and would have never been seen or used. If he was never used as a character, I highly doubt you could point him out as an extra walking by... they would have just slipped him in there. Though I guess it could make sense that he was just passing through DS9 or took Naomi there to board Voyager, but really was stationed elsewhere. I suppose the specifics don't matter since this character is mentioned, never actually used and not "seen" in any episode. But I'm sure he would have "met" his daughter... in the episode when Neelix was handing out 3-minute comm rations for calling home, I can't think of anyone else Naomi would talk to... if she was in fact old enough to merit a ration. (Unless she gave hers away, a few characters did. Seven gave hers to Harry IIRC.)

...If I watch Voyager all the way through again and come up with more solid proof that Naomi's dad was stationed on DS9, I'm writing down the episode number/name and transcribing the conversation. Then I'm coming back to this thread...

Ahh, that's what I love about Star Trek, all this interconnecting stuff. Like how TNG passes the torch to DS9 with Picard and the Enterprise-D in the first DS9 episode and O'Brien and Worf as regulars, and then Voyager starts from DS9, and both DS9 and Voyager have plenty of references to TNG (some to DS9 in VOY).

Another "issue" I had with DS9 was that I really didn't "like" any of the characters, before I started watching it. Now... I like Sisko but still prefer Picard and Janeway. Picard's a given with me, and Janeway's just a matter of opinion. Ditto with Kira vs. Riker and Chakotay. Riker is the ultimate first officer, and Chakotay's almost as good, a little softer. Bashir clearly has more character than Crusher or The Doctor, but Doc's well... cool in his own way. I have to admit I like Quark more than Neelix (that's not hard). After that, it's hard to draw comparisons. Odo is alright, but I'd like to see him be sneaky more. I love when you think something's out of place, and it melts into Odo. O'Brien's cool... they do a lot more with his character here than they did on TNG. Did he have (much of) a character on TNG? But the character on DS9 I really, really like is Jadzia Dax. Not only is she good looking, I like her calm and collected demeanor. She has the wisdom of the 7-8 lives Dax has lived, but the energy of the 28-year-old Jadzia. Really interesting, almost inspiring character, and probably my favorite female Star Trek character. Though that's not hard... there are so few solid, good female characters versus the number of males. Dax, Seven, Torres, Kira.... toss most of the rest. I don't know Uhura (from TOS) or the ENT females, but Crusher and Troi weren't all that impressive (though Troi was hot...). So, I'm turning that opinion around as well. I like Dax and O'Brien, a little of Quark, Odo, and Bashir, Sisko and Kira are alright (no complaints really)...

I can say this about DS9... they don't really have a nerd. TNG had Data, Voyager had Tuvok and Doc, and TOS had Spock. Vulcans and artificial life-forms with no sense of humor and a more logical than human perspective. It's good to have this balance. Odo almost fits the bill... Actually so does Dax in a way, but not because she's Vulcan or an AI, but just because she's lived so many lives, both male and female. It's not so much a complaint, but I miss that character trait in the mix.

Oh, and my favorite Trek relationship so far is Tuvok and Neelix. That was a lot of fun...

Plus, having just watched Voyager, towards the end I really felt like they were recycling plots. Seeing DS9 and all the new (to me) plots... So far I haven't seen anything that jumped out at me and said "hey, they did that (or, will do that) in Voyager!" So the newness is welcome.

Edited by Dark Reality

I can say this about DS9... they don't really have a nerd.  TNG had Data, Voyager had Tuvok and Doc, and TOS had Spock.  Vulcans and artificial life-forms with no sense of humor and a more logical than human perspective.  It's good to have this balance.  Odo almost fits the bill... Actually so does Dax in a way, but not because she's Vulcan or an AI, but just because she's lived so many lives, both male and female.  It's not so much a complaint, but I miss that character trait in the mix.

Oh, and my favorite Trek relationship so far is Tuvok and Neelix.  That was a lot of fun...

Plus, having just watched Voyager, towards the end I really felt like they were recycling plots.  Seeing DS9 and all the new (to me) plots... So far I haven't seen anything that jumped out at me and said "hey, they did that (or, will do that) in Voyager!"  So the newness is welcome.

348772[/snapback]

As you've pointed out, DS9 is rather original in its approach to the Trek franchise. I think that the emotionless-learning-about-the-human-condition thing had pretty much been done to death. Plus, who'd want to take that on and try to follow Brent Spiner B) ?!!

Odo is the oddball on DS9 .... he's always on about "humanoids," but he's got emotions.

There's no way for me to pick a favorite onscreen Trek friendship ... each has its own charm. I like Garak and Bashir early on. I enjoy O'Brien and Bashir immensely. Odo and Quark are wonderful ... There's an episode coming up where we see the first glimmer of affection between them. It's very good.

Tuvok and Neelix were very cute. Neelix annoyed the holy crap out of me until they got rid of Kes (best decision they ever made ... they should never have made her and Neelix a "couple." Like anybody was going to buy that!)

I love Picard and Data. Especially in First Contact.

Worf and Martok (coming Season 5) are also fun to watch.

I'm rewatching the series now for the third time on DVD, so I guess the fourth time if you count the run of the series on t.v. I think that Jadzia Dax is really kind of a loner up until Worf shows up ... I mean Dax is friends with Sisko, but that is really Curzon that is his friend. Jadzia herself is all buddy-buddy with Quark. She's hard to pin down because of all those past lives.

I tell you another two people who are buds who get a really great episode .... Jake and Nog "In the Cards" end of Season 5. That is one of my favorite episodes, I think.

And BTW I've always considered Julian to be Indian or Pakistani. When his parents show up on the station in Season 5, they are obviously of that nationality or race whatever you want to call it.

What episode are you up to now?

Data was a pretty tough act to follow, but I liked Seven a lot as well. I liked Hugh from TNG and was glad they carried the Borg liberation/individuality point out farther with Seven's character. As for Tuvok, what can I say? Vulcans are awesome.

I sort of agree about Kes. I liked her, but she started wearing out her welcome in the third season. If she had left in the second, maybe killed by the Kazon when they were all abandoned on the planet or something, it would have been a good end. (Yes, killed... the episode where she comes back as a goddess wasn't all that believable... though it was neat, the time travel aspect.) And Neelix always annoyed me (to an extent) until he started taking care of Naomi, and he started reminding me of me with my younger cousins.

I really like Jadzia. I didn't know it was Curzon. I hadn't seen it written, and was visualizing "Kurzon". But I think I understand the Curzon-Dax-Jadzia triangle. Ben and Curzon were friends who served together, but Curzon was under the influence of the Dax symbiont (sp?) as Jadzia is, so Curzon is part of Jadzia through Dax. So it puts a spin on Ben's relationship with Jadzia; on one hand she knows him better than anyone, including his wife when he was alive. And she still likes him, probably more than anyone else, it seems. They woudl make an... interesting... pair. And I can see her hooking up with Worf now. She really likes Klingons, from the large one at the Klingon restaurant to the three who she took a blood oath with as Curzon.

I'm really starting to like Gul Dukat. The Bajoran occupation aside, the past aside, the Cardassians we meet are for the most part cool.

I just finished the two-parter "The Maquis". First time I ever watched 5 Trek episodes in one day. I've done four several times, including a couple nights ago, a week or two ago... several times with Voyager. But never five. I'm not ready to say DS9 is my favorite, because TNG and Voyager are tied for that right now, but by season 7 I'll probably end up favoring DS9 for a few months and then end up where you are in your third paragraph, liking them all for different reasons. I suppose at that point I should watch TOS and ENT all the way through as well... I've only seen a few TOS episodes and the first part of the first ENT episode... Honestly I couldn't finish it.

I really like Jadzia. I didn't know it was Curzon. I hadn't seen it written, and was visualizing "Kurzon". But I think I understand the Curzon-Dax-Jadzia triangle. Ben and Curzon were friends who served together, but Curzon was under the influence of the Dax symbiont (sp?) as Jadzia is, so Curzon is part of Jadzia through Dax.

No, no. The Dax symbiont only carries the memories of it's past hosts and integrates with the recent host's personality and knowledge. It takes no control whatsoever of the host. Jadzia remembers most of the events of Dax's past hosts as if she were that person, but she is herself, her own person. But you're right about the Ben/Curzon relationship and about the liking Jadzia parts. You understand?

Edited by sea trooper

Oh yes it does... in the episode "Invasive Procedures", a crazy Trill forces Bashir at gunpoint to remove the Dax symbiont and give it to him... And it totally changes him. Jadzia says in the episode "Playing God" that if you have a weak mind, it will completely take over. The way I understand that aspect of it is Dax has its own personality, and Curzon and Jadzia had theirs before being joined, and when they joined, the personality of "Curzon Dax" was a little different from Curzon before Dax, same with Jadzia. And then of course the symbiont carries the memories. The symbiont and host share brain functions and memory functions, but if the link is severed, the symbiont keeps the memories, but the host does not (back to "Invasive Procedures", when Jadzia gets Dax back, the other Trill remembers nothing). So I can agree that she is herself and her own person, but Dax did introduce a change. But I wouldn't say the symbiont controls the host, either, it's just an influence. I believe this came up in "Playing God" as well. Yes! Jadzia explains how she was so shy before Dax and now she has all this confidence. It's changed her. B)

And... I forgot from my last post, but whoever said "The Maquis" was a good episode was right on! Damn, that was a good ep. Most doubles are going to be good, but I was just completely impressed with this one.

Edited by Dark Reality

^^That was really good acting on Terry Farrell's part when they "stole" the Dax symbiont and put it in that other guy. She was completely different after her operation when Julian brought her out of the anesthetic. You could see in her face that she was not the same. Likewise for the other guy .... his entire manner and even his physical appearance were markedly different while he was walking around with Dax inside of him.

One of your comments above will come to fruition in the first mirror universe episode. Are you up to that one yet?

Yes, passed it as a matter of fact. "Crossover" was a very good episode. Though I was a little disappointed in the ending... I would have loved to see Quark's reaction when Kira told him that the mirror Kira had the mirror Quark executed. Or, though not as important, Bashir telling Odo that he had shot and killed the mirror Odo.

I can't wait for the other mirror universe episodes. I wish they would have done a couple on Voyager, as well. The closest they got was the one that takes place 400 years into the future and has a "backup" of The Doctor brought online by a society that thought Voyager was evil. As their history holonovels played out, we saw sort of a mirror-universe Voyager.

Speaking of which, would one shot really kill Odo? You'd think like the T-1000 in Terminator 2, weapon fire would just pass through him and leave a hole, which would promptly close.

Actually that was one aspect of "Invasive Procedures" I liked, the changing of the people by having/not having the Dax symbiont. And I totally saw it coming, when the "bad guy" starts remeniscing with Sisko about the old times. They really didn't need Odo to save the day in that episode... Dax itself did most of the work. (It? He? She?)

I also watched "The Collaborator" in which Vedek Winn becomes the new Kai (sp?). "Kai Winn"... I feel like throwing up. B) Well, not really, but it would seem the Bajorans/Vedeks/Assembly forgot about Winn's actions when the school was blown up because Keiko O'Brien wasn't teaching the kids the Bajoran religion. And we learn why the previous Kai stayed behind on that prison world in "Battle Lines" (back in Season 1). She could justify what she'd done during the Occupation, but once that was over and there was a relative peace, she couldn't really stay on Bajor. Bringing the teachings of the Propets to the Gamma quadrant was a good way she could self-exile and maintan her sworn duty to the Prophets. At least that's how I read it.

Two more episodes of season 2, the last being "The Jem'Hadar". I've seen them on the show a couple times, but I don't know anything about who they are or what part they play in the current Bajor/Cardassia/Marquis politics, or the future Dominion War.

Just finished watching "The Jem'Hadar" and the one before it. So now I'm done with Season 2.

Overall Season 2 was great. There were a few episodes I did not care for, but there were some really great ones as well. Better yet, the last episode practically promises that it's going to get a lot better with the introduction of the Jem'Hadar. I didn't think the Dominion Wars were going to be started so soon, but watching them destroy that Galaxy-class ship... you could just tell watching O'Brien and Sisko, "it's on"... Especially O'Brien because he served on the Enterprise-D, basically the same ship.

I had been wondering what the relationship between the Dominion and the Jem'Hadar was, this last episode pretty much sums it up. The Dominion are sort of like an evil Federation, almost like the Terran Empire from the mirror universe, and the Jem'Hadar basically do their dirty work.

I can smell lots of good action up ahead. So far they're at a pretty serious disadvantage. But this is just great, because in TOS there was the trouble with the Klingons, but Borg aside, the TNG generation was pretty peaceful. Now the Federation's at war... I think I'm about to find out another reason so many people here prefer DS9.

Speaking of which, would one shot really kill Odo?

Apparently so...

Or, though not as important, Bashir telling Odo that he had shot and killed the mirror Odo.

I can see Bashir wanting to keep the knowledge of how to kill Odo secret, especially from Quark. Quark wasn't a killer but that info could be worth a fortune. Would Quark have sold it? Bashir obviously didn't want to risk it.

You'd think like the T-1000 in Terminator 2, weapon fire would just pass through him and leave a hole, which would promptly close.

...Without giving too much away, later on in the series and in the regular U; Odo does exhibit a T-1000 type ability.

The critical factor in Changelings ability to survive an attack depends on the weapon used; projectiles do as you say but certain energy based weapons will mess them up as seen in Crossover.

There is however a middle ground and a...

Click For Spoiler
:wink2: Edited by Alterego

I'm really starting to like Gul Dukat.  The Bajoran occupation aside, the past aside, the Cardassians we meet are for the most part cool.

348893[/snapback]

He's one of, if not the greatest villain on all of Trek. He's one of my favorite "non main" characters of any Trek aside from maybe Shran (Enterprise).

Yes, passed it as a matter of fact.  "Crossover" was a very good episode.  Though I was a little disappointed in the ending... I would have loved to see Quark's reaction when Kira told him that the mirror Kira had the mirror Quark executed.  Or, though not as important, Bashir telling Odo that he had shot and killed the mirror Odo.

I can't wait for the other mirror universe episodes.  I wish they would have done a couple on Voyager, as well.  The closest they got was the one that takes place 400 years into the future and has a "backup" of The Doctor brought online by a society that thought Voyager was evil.  As their history holonovels played out, we saw sort of a mirror-universe Voyager.

349073[/snapback]

Since you watched "Crossover" can I assume that you watched the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror"? If so was it helpful in helping you understand what was happening on "Crossover"? As for Mirror Universe episodes, you'll get 3 or 4 (or 5) more throughout the seasons.

Overall Season 2 was great.  There were a few episodes I did not care for, but there were some really great ones as well.  Better yet, the last episode practically promises that it's going to get a lot better with the introduction of the Jem'Hadar.  I didn't think the Dominion Wars were going to be started so soon, but watching them destroy that Galaxy-class ship... you could just tell watching O'Brien and Sisko, "it's on"... Especially O'Brien because he served on the Enterprise-D, basically the same ship.

I can smell lots of good action up ahead.  So far they're at a pretty serious disadvantage.  But this is just great, because in TOS there was the trouble with the Klingons, but Borg aside, the TNG generation was pretty peaceful.  Now the Federation's at war... I think I'm about to find out another reason so many people here prefer DS9.

349091[/snapback]

If you thought Season 2 was great then you're gonna totally love seasons 3 through 7. Generally Seasons 1 and 2 are thought of as DS9's "weakest" seasons. They were good (very good at points) but DS9 didn't really come into it's own until Season 3. I very much look forward to your thoughts as the seasons pass.

@Alterego: Yes, Odo uses his arm sort of like a lasso in The Maquis, Part II. Not sure if that's the T-1000-like ability you mean, but it's the first time I've seen him use his changeling abilities for anything other than going into the bucket or slipping under a door. (Or turning into a toy for the little girl in "Shadowplay" in Season 2.)

Would Quark have sold out Odo? He's sold out the station a few times already. So probably. I didn't think of it that way...

@VBG: Yeah, I watched Mirror, Mirror as an "intermission" between Season 1 and Season 2. It was pretty good, and it did help explain a couple things in "Crossover".

I do have to take back what I said about Cardassians; after seeing "The Tribunal" it seems they're pretty bad after all. The characters Gul Dukat and Garak are all right, but the Cardassian government is just horrible.

He's one of, if not the greatest villain on all of Trek

I think he is THE greatest villain.

Superb character, and complex too.

349175[/snapback]

Yeah, there's times throughout the series that you like him a lot and there's times where you hate his guts and just want him to get what he deserves. The Character was great and tha actor that played him (Marc Alaimo) did a great job of playing him.

I agree with ST on Winn and Dukat. So far I haven't seen anything really bad about Dukat (except a couple times when he was rude... or the Occupation, but like O'Brien said on trial in "The Tribunal", "We all did what we had to during the war." Sure, Dukat did a heck of a lot more than O'Brien during the war, but it's not like Kira wants him arrested and put on trial... she's done this a couple times in the first two seasons.

Is there a thread against greatest (individual, not race) villain? At any rate, Dukat as greatest villain... against who? And greatest as in most evil, most adversarial, or just coolest? As for against who... There's Winn... and who else? Seska from Voyager, but does she count as she's only in a handful of episodes? Same with Q... he may have made an attempt at manners, and he may have shown a human side, but he did introduce the Enterprise-D to the Borg, among many other things. And for all his tricks on Voyager, he never did send them home. So on that count I can't think of him as a "good guy" by any means. Anyway, I don't really recall too many recurring villains (again, individuals) as Trek tended to deal with a different threat each week. But among those that are dirty, I'd prefer Dukat. So far...

Winn is evil... I spotted her for what she was instantly. If the Ferengi represent capitalism, Winn represents people who claim to be religious but just play the religion card to gain power over a group of people. I don't think she represents the views of every spiritual Bajoran (are they all united under the same faith?), she's far too extreme.

Excuse me while I go watch the first two episodes of Season 3, the 2-part "The Search". :tribble:

Is there a thread against greatest (individual, not race) villain?  At any rate, Dukat as greatest villain... against who?  And greatest as in most evil, most adversarial, or just coolest?  As for against who... There's Winn... and who else? 

349215[/snapback]

Against who? :flowers::hug::hug::hug::tribble:

I can't wait until you get there and I get to read your reaction.

Is there a thread against greatest (individual, not race) villain?  At any rate, Dukat as greatest villain... against who?  And greatest as in most evil, most adversarial, or just coolest?  As for against who... There's Winn... and who else? 

349215[/snapback]

Against who? :flowers::hug::hug::hug::tribble:

I can't wait until you get there and I get to read your reaction.

349217[/snapback]

That's for sure, once you've seen the whole series I think you'll change your opinion. Winn is bad, and I've made my views on her well known (I can't stand the character) but Dukat is awesome as a villain. Winn, to me is just a nuisance.

ABOUT... I meant to type "Is there a thread about greatest (...) villan?" :tribble:

LOL

I agree about Dukat...

I'm not sure I liked where "The Search" left. I watched the one after it, "The House of Quark" and it didn't answer any questions, just back to business as usual.

So we find out that Odo's race is the Founders, that the Founders control the Dominion, and Odo's people's goals are similar to that of the Borg... to conquer all life and bring order to chaos. And that the Dominion captured DS9's command crew to run a simulation of what would happen if they negotiated a treaty (read: surrender). But then we're all back on DS9 and there's no Dominion threat... yet...

The Defiant was cool. I wasn't expecting it for a while.

ABOUT... I meant to type "Is there a thread about greatest (...) villan?" :tribble:

LOL

I agree about Dukat...

I'm not sure I liked where "The Search" left.  I watched the one after it, "The House of Quark" and it didn't answer any questions, just back to business as usual.

So we find out that Odo's race is the Founders, that the Founders control the Dominion, and Odo's people's goals are similar to that of the Borg... to conquer all life and bring order to chaos.  And that the Dominion captured DS9's command crew to run a simulation of what would happen if they negotiated a treaty (read: surrender).  But then we're all back on DS9 and there's no Dominion threat... yet...

The Defiant was cool.   I wasn't expecting it for a while.

349227[/snapback]

Just remember that you know a few spoilers about the Dominion and future seasons so you know to expect more. You don't get a huge dose of the Dominion in season 3 but you get a bit here and there.

Season 3 was really good and has a bunch of great episodes, The House of Quark is one. "Second Skin", which you are coming up on is a great one and has a bit of a follow up episode in season 5 I think. "Defiant" is a really good episode I think you'll like and I've always liked Past Tense, Parts I & II.

"Heart of Stone" is another really good one, "Destiny" was good and has some amusing parts in it for O'Brien. You'll enjoy "Through the Looking Glass", it's another Mirror Universe episode. The 2 parter "Improbable Cause" & "The Die Is Cast" was great and is key for the future also.

"Facets" will give more background on Dax and was really good. Then the season finale "The Adversary" will spin you off into 4 seasons of real excitement.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on "The House of Quark", I've always loved that episode. It has a follow-up episode in Season 5 which is also great... "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places"

One thing I forgot about The Jem'Hadar and The Search(1&2). In the former, Quark really puts Sisko in his place, about how the Ferengi are actually better than humans. His conclusion is off a little, but his point remains that human hands are far bloodier and dirtier than Ferengi. That Ferengi may be cowardly thieves, they don't have things in their history like slavery, the holocaust, and Hiroshima, not to mention the conflicts that happen in the "future" (venturing into the Trek world). Then in The Search, Sisko pays Quark back good. "Aren't you forgetting something, Quark?" I was hoping we would find out that Sisko had replicated it.

"The House of Quark" was alright. It was funny is what it was. Episodes like this don't always rank among my favorites, but they are fun to watch. And I do like Klingons.

I have one episode, "Equillibrium", to watch before I get to "Second Skin". I think I'll watch those tomorrow. I got three in today, and I have 14 days until I leave, 12 of which I can watch 3 episodes a day... more if they give me days off at work (I've asked to have no days off to save for the trip), so I think I'll be well into Season 4 when I take my break. I'll have to look for work, but I can still probably watch one in the evening...

I, too, didn't "love" anyone on DS9. The closest I'd come is Miles & Jadzia but they weren't enough to have me say, "Oh, I've got to watch DS9" -- to see either of them (unlike Janeway & the EMH & Seven of Nine, Spock & Kirk, and Picard & Data). Those characters always made me want to watch.

That doesn't mean I don't find DS9 interesting, 'cause I do (esp. this time around). I hadn't seen it since it went off the air in '99 & am liking it more now (esp. when Worf & the Dominion become more prominent players). I know some DS9ers didn't care for the addition of Worf and/or the war, that much, but that's when I found myself more into it. Prob. b/c I'm more of a Trek traditionalist who likes the action that usually accompanied the other Trek series.

Quark's worth watching, especially when Odo's around or they're togther somewhere. Bashir can be interesting, and the Cardassians (Garak and Gul Dukat) are interesting as well. There's enough to keep me coming back (besides wanting to finish it, of course). I like Worf, so I can't wait till he shows up.

Maybe I will watch "Equillibrium". If I do, I'll be back...

I love Sisko, particulary after he gets hooked up. And I loved Kira after she stopped being so strident and peed off about everything. I loved O'Brien. I loved Quark. I loved Odo. Well, geez, I loved everybody except for Jake ... I tolerated him.

Janeway was a lot more interesting when they were hinting at a romance between her and Chakotay ... of course, they dropped the ball on that one just like they dropped the ball on Picard and Crusher. THAT would never have happened on DS9 ... it would have been addressed, examined from all sides, and resolved one way or the other over the course of the series!

I want to watch Voyager. I'd do anything but spend $100+ for each season :tribble:

Heart of Stone, Facets, and The Adversary are all really good episodes. Second Skin is really good too. Basically, season 3 has alot of good episodes.

Does "Anything" include

Click For Spoiler
get high-speed Internet and download them via BitTorrent? I agree completely about the price of the series: maybe it could be argued that they're really worth that much, but it's still a LOT of money. I know people who are into Anime who think nothing of spending hundreds of dollars to own a complete series on DVD. I just can't see doing that... One day I would like to have TNG, DS9, and Voyager on DVD, but I can't afford it (well, I can, but then I wouldn't have money for things like food and rent, which tend to be more important).

I did watch "Equillibrium" yesterday, but I was dead tired afterwards, and there were no replies yet, so I waited. It was a good Dax episode, but I will be confused if they reference this lost host before Curzon. I don't even remember his name... but that melody was beautiful. I wonder if it was composed for Star Trek, or if it's part of an existing classical piece.

"Second Skin" was really good, but "The Abandoned" was a lot better -- my favorite of the third season so far. Good Jake episode, and that's kind of rare. It was also a good episode for Odo and Sisko, and for the back story on the Dominion and Founders, so as far as what seems to be the "main plot" now (the Dominion) this is a more important episode.

But that's not to say "Second Skin" wasn't any good, because it was. It's mostly a Kira episode, and Kira isn't one of my favorite characters. That aside, it was pretty good as far as plot and the surprise at the end -- it wasn't as predictable as others.

I agree about Janeway and Chakotay... Hooking Chakotay up with Seven at the end was kind of tacky. I would have much rather see Janeway and Chakotay happy together and Seven wind up with Harry. (And Harry get promoted.)

And yeah, I tolerate Jake as well. Like I said, "The Abandoned" was a good episode for him. And it's been a while since Kira really had that chip on her shoulder, but she just hasn't become very interesting. Oh well, there's still almost 5 seasons to go, hopefully that will change.

Seen two and I can't wait to get to the third one: 3x07 "Civil Defense".

"Second Skin" will be an important episode in another season and a half or so when you get to "Ties of Blood and Water" (Season 5). I think this will be an episode that you'd enjoy a lot more once you've seen the whole series and then come back to it.

"Civil Defense" was pretty good, not a 'favorite' of mine but I enjoy it whenever I see it.

"The Abandoned" is an important episode in giving some back story on the Dominion, it tells you some important information about the Jem'hadar. You'll need to retain that information for future seasons when we really get into the Dominion stories. Season 4's "Hippocratic Oath" will be another good one with good information. Also look for "To the Death" in season 4, this is a key episode for the introduction of Weyoun.

Ah, I was wondering who this Weyoun person is!

"Civil Defense" was alright. A fun episode as far as figuring things out. Pretty much good for all characters. And "Meridian" was OK, for a romantic episode. I have to admit, that planet was like a dream.

What was important about "Second Skin" was it may be the first time Kira accepted that Cardassians aren't all bad. It seems Cardassia Prime is like a futuristic Nazi Germany, but the longer Cardassians are away and are allowed to think on their own more, they become better than that.

Another four episodes today, and it's only 8:45AM... Should I be embarassed? :tribble: I may watch one more, 3x09 "Defiant" is next. Sounds like a ship episode.