Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

Endgame, Part II

I just finished watching Endgame (and the entire Voyager series chronologically!) and I've now seen Endgame three times, and I'm still confused as hell by the ending. Can someone help me with this?

OK, so...

Click For Spoiler
1. Capt. Janeway infects Adm. Janeway with a Borg virus, Adm. Janeway suckers the Borg Queen into assimilating her, thus shattering the hive mind.

2. Capt. Janeway & crew fly Voyager into the Unicomplex, into a wormhole heading for the Alpha Quadrant.

3. The Borg Queen retains control of one sphere, currently in the wormhole network. She sends it to intercept and destroy Voyager.

4. Capt. Janeway, Seven, and Paris deicde that they can't keep ahead of the sphere, so they decide to take the next turn to get out of the network, albeit back in the Delta Quadrant.

5. Wormhole opens in the Alpha Quadrant, Adm. Paris orders 18 ships to intercept. Borg sphere comes out, fleet prepares to fire.

6. From inside the sphere, Voyager fires transphasic torpedoes, destroying the sphere from the inside out.

7. Capt. Janeway asks Paris where they are, and Paris repllies "Right where we expected to be." Next shot, Voyager is facing the fleet.

So... at what point did the sphere swallow Voyager? Since when do spheres swallow starships rather than just shooting at them? And why did Paris say they were where they expected to be. Last I heard they expected to be back in the Delta quadrant.

WTF?

Click For Spoiler

Off-topic: EF II. Decent game, suffers from the same problem that nearly all Star Trek games face, that being that there's very little unique about it except for the Star Trek label...

It's been a long time since I played, but as far as I can remember... Voyager is indeed swallowed by the Borg cube, and is unable to escape due to some kind of stasis field/tractor beam/thing. To counter this, Voyager transports the newly created hazard team, a small elite squadron with a lot of firepower and attitude :rolleyes:, onto the cube to disable the technology, and allow Voyager to free itself. They manage, after a few hair raising adventures, to get the job done, Voyager breaks free and causes merry hell to erupt, allowing the ship to exit the cube just before it explodes. (I can recall at least one time when a ship was swallowed whole by the Borg for assimilation)

Of course this isn't strictly canon and may not have happened, for all we know the magic pixies may have waved their magic wands to free Voyager, but it's the best we've got. No idea about the Alpha/Delta quadrant, it's been a long time since I watched Endgame too...

Edited by NordicBearskin

I guess I have a problem buying that

Click For Spoiler
one ship exploding would cause everything inside to be destroyed. Now, had Voyager come out as if the explosion had taken out the shields, most of the armor, and the ship itself were heavily damaged, I could buy that and say that the armor and Adm. Janeway's shield mods (if any) really held up, and saved their lives. But they came out of that pretty clean.

I have Elite Force [1], based entirely on Voyager. I don't think EF2 is limited to Voyager. I don't know about EF2, but EF wasn't very authentic to me... mainly because there wasn't a hazard team at all on the show, just Tuvok and whatever security forces he had available to him. And it's not even a very cool idea. It would have been better if, like in the show, you would have away teams made up of actual Voyager characters. Maybe you'd play Tuvok or Chakotay or be able to play different VOY characters and build up their skills. I just think they could put a lot more work into Trek games.

I always had the impression that they came up from behind, destroyed the cube, then flew threw the wreckage.

No Voyager was inside the Sphere :tribble: They shot their way out when the other ships from the Fleet started fireing at it. they let the shpere take them so they can make it through the Transwarp hub at the last minute.

I have both elite Forces I beat them both also beat Bridge Commander there is a new game in progress thats going to be online. Star Trek Online Game its in the works going to take a couple of years should be out in 2007 or so

Another thing that really bothers me about Endgame is that it doesn't answer any questions, like what becomes of the Maquis crew members and what happens to Seven. I also think they should have shown some reunions, like Naomi meeting her father and Tom Paris and Adm. Paris resolving their differences. Maybe it should have been a three-part... or an eighth season with them back in the Alpha Quadrant... Voyager home wouldn't have lasted long, but it could have taken the time to explain some things.

I suppose it could be said that the episode sums up the feeling expressed in a few Voyager episodes that "it's not the destination but the journey". But I think the ending was pretty lacking...

Another thing that really bothers me about Endgame is that it doesn't answer any questions, like what becomes of the Maquis crew members and what happens to Seven.  I also think they should have shown some reunions, like Naomi meeting her father and Tom Paris and Adm. Paris resolving their differences.  Maybe it should have been a three-part... or an eighth season with them back in the Alpha Quadrant... Voyager home wouldn't have lasted long, but it could have taken the time to explain some things.

I suppose it could be said that the episode sums up the feeling expressed in a few Voyager episodes that "it's not the destination but the journey".  But I think the ending was pretty lacking...

349284[/snapback]

Agreed.

Endgame was indeed one of the worst series finales. I too was confused with the whole Voyager being inside the Borg sphere thing. It wasn't written or filmed well at all. Very confusing. If you want to know of at least one version of what happened after they got home, read the "Homecoming" books. Its a 2 book story of what happened to the crew.

Endgame was indeed one of the worst series finales. I too was confused with the whole Voyager being inside the Borg sphere thing. It wasn't written or filmed well at all. Very confusing. If you want to know of at least one version of what happened after they got home, read the "Homecoming" books. Its a 2 book story of what happened to the crew.

349322[/snapback]

i agree to have any proper "closure" to the series read the first 2 chapters of homecoming

So... at what point did the sphere swallow Voyager? Since when do spheres swallow starships rather than just shooting at them? And why did Paris say they were where they expected to be. Last I heard they expected to be back in the Delta quadrant.

1. All Borg Vessels big enough, will swallow a ship

Cubes are definately big enough to swallow people as shown in "Collective"

Spheres are shown to do the same in "Dark Frontier" & "Child's Play"

its a simple matter of opening a hatch & pulling in ships inside their hollow ships.

2. The Sphere (not Cube) swallowed Voyager when they are inside the Transwarp Hub's conduits.

Actually Voyager willingly entered the Sphere.

3. Its a trick for the audience. Where we will think that they are still in the Delta Quadrant, when in fact they are inside the Sphere. So seeing that many of you got confused, that means they did a perfect job at it.

:dude:

The reason they enter the Sphere is because their Transphasic Torpedoes can't phase into Borg ships anymore. The Borg have developed a defence against it.

So they need to enter the Sphere & shoot from within, hence it does not need to phase through, as its already inside.

Edited by vold

So, following this logic (which I cannot dispute), Voyager willingly entered the Sphere, intending to blow it up, regardless of whether the sphere continued on to the Alpha Quadrant (to Sector 001, they were right by Earth) or back to the Delta Quadrant?

It seems to me, the Borg, in control, would go back to the Delta Quadrant where they had reinforcements. Surely they could see or scan that there were 100 some odd Federation ships in Sector 001 waiting.

It would have been really, really cool if they had done a Season 8 of Voyager, if only to do a 2-part episode about their homecoming. I still feel that, despite all its qualities, Voyager lacked closure. The beginning of Endgame Part 1 was kind of a closure, with the reunion party. But that's not the same.

I will look for the Voyager Homecoming novels. Most likely I will get them used from Amazon. I couldn't find them at the used bookstore in Santa Rosa, CA, and I highly doubt I'll find them used in Beaufort County, North Carolina. :lol: (And I'm too cheap to pay full price.) Novels aren't canon, according to Paramount, according to another STFN member in another post, but dammit, I need some kind of closure on Voyager. :lol:

I don't think they can scan what's ahead of them of the conduit.

As for the possibility about ending up in the Delta Quadrant

That is true that they have no idea if the Sphere will go to the DQ. But they had no choice. If they stay outside, they will die by the Sphere.

If they enter the sphere which they did, there's a 50% chance of being either in the AQ or the DQ, which is irrelevant. As long as they are alive, that's good enough. In the end they will destroy the Sphere & see where they are.

:lol:

even if they are still in the Beta Quadrant. (They already pass the BQ borders)

Its will still be a shorter trip home.

:lol: