Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Star Trek: The Next Generation

frontt4rr.jpg

Picture the technical manual you can buy in bookstores, but you can walk through the ship and see everything for yourself inside and out, that’s exactly what this is.

If you can find this CD-Rom, I highly recommend getting it! It gives very precise detail on everything about the Enterprise, even the history of all of the ships that have carried the name Enterprise, hours and hours of stuff to read.

The coolest part is that you can take a virtual tour of the Enterprise D. I mean you can walk into Data’s room and you can look up at the ceiling and down to the floor. You can also click on things in their rooms and learn the history of the things and how they work. Very detailed things that teach you everything you wanted to know about Enterprise and Trek technology. Some stuff so scientific it goes over my head!

Or, if you don’t want to look around the Enterprise yourself, Riker will give you a guided tour (voiced by Jonathan himself!). But you have to go into the rooms yourself to actually look at everything.

Like I said, it's not just the technical manual for the ship, you also can look at and read about the weapons and tools they use. I've learned a few thing, like PHASER is really an acronym of three words. And that the reason why Ten-Forward is called Ten-Forward is because it is in front of the ship on deck 10. Stuff like that I found very interesting.

The menus are easy to figure out and within five minutes you’ll be taking full advantage of the CD-ROM.

Overall, you will be spending hours reading and touring the Enterprise. GET IT NOW! The best part is that this does work on Windows XP!

The only bad thing is that it may be hard to find in stores since it was made in 1997. Your best bet is to find a copy on the internet, but you can try to find it in a store, that’s where I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Trying going to the stores that sell old toys and video games, that’s the best place to start looking. It could possibly even be in a video game store like EB or Game Stop.

I had this a couple years back, couldn't figure out how to leave the tour and go exploring. They should re-do this, on DVD-ROM, with ALL the ships, using the Unreal or Quake (or Doom3) engine to really let you explore on your own, walk around all over the ship. Or station, if you're exploring DS9.

Just a heads up guys, it's not nearly as cool as it looks.

Maybe when Unreal Tournament 2007 comes out, someone makes a mod that lets you explore the ships. UT'07 will support maps many times larger than maps in games today, and 'stream' parts of them to you as you play, so it won't compromise gameplay... so they say.