Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Star Trek: Phase 2

Yes, I think it would have made an excellent series!  However, I'm glad we got TNG instead. :laugh:

Same here

TNG was great and was a good way to show that it was a Star Trek universe... That they were things before and things after.

TNG was great, DS9 even better.. So, I'm glad we got what we got :laugh:

Yes, cause and effect, Prometheus. If we had had Star Trek: Phase II, we wouldn't have had the TOS movies, which means we might not have had TNG at all, and there's no way to tell how things would have unfolded. For all we know, instead of TNG, we would have had an entirely different prequal series.

Are you saying that if Phase 2 had've run for years then we wouldnt have had TNG and so on?

I was always under the opinion that TNG was Phase 2 under a redress.

Nope. Some of the "Phase II" stories were used for TNG, but very few. TNG was actually a redress of the TOS movie sets. :laugh:

Are you saying that if Phase 2 had've run for years then we wouldnt have had TNG and so on?

I was always under the opinion that TNG was Phase 2 under a redress.

Nope. Some of the "Phase II" stories were used for TNG, but very few. TNG was actually a redress of the TOS movie sets. :laugh:

I was not actually talking about the sets :laugh:

I suggest you look at the comparison between:

1. Ilia and Troy

2. Will Riker and Will Decker

3. The relationship between Ilia and Decker, and the relationship between Riker and Troy.

4. The use of several Phase 2 stories which actually fit in quite well within the TNG crew.

5. The role of the Captain (not going on away missions).

6. The luxury of the ship which was first show in the designs for Phaser 2.

Nope? :dude:

Actually, TransporterMalfunction is correct. TNG did morph some characters originally written for Star Trek: Phase II (Decker & Ilia=Riker & Troi) and some of the Phase II scripts were used for TNG during the writer's strike. I personally am glad they went with the TOS movies instead of the Phase II series. The main reason being that Spock would not have appeared in the Phase II series. There was a new Vulcan character named Xon written for the series.

Like others have stated we do have parallels from TMP to the TNG series in the characters and so on. I think how TNG and phase II came in being and how they unfolded was very good and I would not change how that. (But I might change a few others things, but that’s another story)

---

The more I think about it and the more I think about how good some of the TOS movies were I really wish they done a few more.

For the question of would it be good if they actually done it as a series . . . It probably would, but like I said I like how everything turned out with the movies and TNG so I would not want to change anything in this specific case

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

Yes, cause and effect, Prometheus.  If we had had Star Trek: Phase II, we wouldn't have had the TOS movies, which means we might not have had TNG at all, and there's no way to tell how things would have unfolded.  For all we know, instead of TNG, we would have had an entirely different prequal series.

Aaaah but that's all maybes! We cannot say FOR SURE that TNG wouldnt have existed after Phase 2.

Hmmm...since the Pilot Episode was Re-Worked as TMP, maybe it would have worked, and maybe not.

But you all know why they finaly decided to go with doing a Movie?? Right?? :)

I think phase 2 may have made a good series. At the same time I think that a series made in the late 70's probably would have been technically inferior to TnG because of the technology limitations. With STMP they had enough money (actually they went overbudget) to make it look good. I always thought that the TNG used many concepts from phase 2.

I think phase 2 may have made a good series.  At the same time I think that a series made in the late 70's probably would have been technically inferior to TnG because of the technology limitations.  With STMP they had enough money (actually they went overbudget) to make it look good.  I always thought that the TNG used many concepts from phase 2.

ST:TMP wasn't over budget. People only think that becuase they don't take into account that Star Trek: Phase II was developed and ready for filming... then Paramount decides, "Hey, let's turn it into a movie!" at like the last second, so they had to turn arround and "upgrade" everything to movie standards. Thus, the reason why the movie was so expensive. :)

ST:TMP wasn't over budget.  People only think that becuase they don't take into account that Star Trek: Phase II was developed and ready for filming...  then Paramount decides, "Hey, let's turn it into a movie!" at like the last second, so they had to turn arround and "upgrade" everything to movie standards.  Thus, the reason why the movie was so expensive. :)

That, and quite a few other things added to the budget. There is a book I read a while ago-I think it's titled "The Story Behind Star Trek-Phase II." Very informative. The story goes something like this-when TPTB noticed that Star Trek was pulling great ratings during re-runs in the 70's, they contacted Gene Rodenberry to write a TV movie. He produced a script called "The God Thing" and the original cast, except Nimoy, was signed for this TV movie. Then, TPTB had another great idea-a new series starring the Star Trek cast! "The God Thing" was set to be the series pilot, and writers were hired to grind out scripts for the series. This entire time, the actors were on "hold", meaning they were collecting paychecks while everything was being ironed out so they would still be available when everyone made up their minds. The book includes pictures from the original production of the series, including wardrobe shots. The original plan was to have the cast wear the same uniforms they wore in the original series. Rodenberry was pushing for a feature film, but TPTB didn't think a science fiction movie would fare well in theaters. Then, in 1977, a film called Star Wars was released and broke all box office records. TPTB then said; "A feature film! What a great idea!" Then, as CJLP stated, all the models had to be rebuilt for the big screen. Also, they decided to change the uniforms, and the new uniforms included custom made Italian shoes! All of that caused the budget for TMP to balloon.

i thought tmp was great as a movie and i dont think phase 2 wouldve been to great.

i like spock alot better than that xon guy. spock has some emotions, but xon wouldnt have.

hey! another one xon (no emotions) = data (also no emotions)

Possibly.I know I liked the Matt Decker character and felt he got a raw deal from Admiral Kirk.And Ilia would have been a great crewmember in time,once they went beyond her character's alien sex drive(it seemed that that was all the movie or movie novelization could talk about when it came to her).Of course,I would've been like 7 or 8 years old when Phase II would've been on tv,so i probably wouldn't have watched it much or even known what was going on.

Wikipedia has a page on Star Trek: Phase II which talks about the episode that were already planned. It seemed like it was a lot of focus on time travel and a rehash of City on the Edge of Forever for one episode. The main thing I think that we lost is the character of Xon. I know that he is going to appear in the fan series in the future, but I hope that the new movie series introduces him in some way in the future. I would have liked to have seen that character.

Besides Spock not being in Phase II, I read that Kirk may not have been in the series long either. Shatner was only signed for 13 episodes and Decker may have taken over the series as captain. It's hard to imagine Decker as captain since he didn't even live past the first movie, but I think he would have made a good one. He was willing and able at the start of the movie. But would fans approve the loss of Kirk at that time? To finally have Star Trek back, but no Kirk or Spock?

Do you think, judging from the Motion Picture, that this would have been a good series?

To update matters ... do you think that the new STAR TREK movie would make a good series?

To update matters ... do you think that the new STAR TREK movie would make a good series?

Not if I am to judge by the movie, but a TV series is a different thing where they would have to rely on a little plot, and so it might be better written. Technically I'm sure it would shine as long as the budget was sufficient.