Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

David Letterman on July 20

Did anyone watch David Letterman on July 20? I've been reading things at other boards saying that he made fun of James Doohan's death. The first mention of this I read was at Sci-Fi's Star Trek forum. There were a couple of links listed but I could only access one of them which went to a blog that said this happened:

Apparently, David Letterman thinks death is funny.

The day of James Doohan's death, Letterman decided it'd make great comedy. According to multiple sources on two different forums, the following took place:

Letterman started off mentioning Doohan's passing. After a few seconds of silence, Letterman gets that infamous ****-eating grin on his face and tells the audiance "Hey, I've got great footage from Scotty's funeral!". The audience, as sick as Letterman, started laughing.

What we see next is a cartoon. The theme to the original Star Trek is playing, and we see space. A hearse flies by with the Enterprise's warp nacelles on top of it. The audience went nuts.

I'm sure glad that a man dying of Alzheimer's, leaving behind seven children and a wife, brings so much amusement to the lives of David Letterman and his audience.

I don't have any information on the sources so I thought I would ask here to see if anyone say it. Did this really happen or not? Personally, I can't see him being this tasteless but you never know. I've gone to the Late Night website and can't find anything.

Can't find anything else to support this, but if it is true it is a truly classless move on the part of Letterman. He should be made to make a public apology to Doohan's family.

I used to like Letterman but now I won't watch him again. I'm glad I moved on to Conan.

I haven't watched Letterman in a few years, but that sounds like something he'd do. :yawn: My husband is checking with some of the people he knows on the internet to see if he can get confirmation on the story.

I'm glad I never did and will watch his *buttocks*. That was a horrible thing he did and he must pay.

I learned that he also did a skit on Thurl Ravenscroft's death. He was the voice of Tony the Tiger. :yawn:

Edited by sea trooper

If it did happen then it was in bad taste. He could have at least waited a while before making a joke about it.

We don't get Letterman here in the UK anymore.

It was on the Paramount Comedy Channel and then ITV2 for a while but they don't air it now.

If he did do that joke, then it was tasteless IMO.

This is why i watch Leno- and then late night with Craig fergueson

Conan is also tastless

Hadn't seen this before but it doesn't surprise me at all. Letterman is worthless, I stopped watching around 1993 or 1994. Though "stopped watching" isn't really the right phrase, I only watched once in a while as it was anyway.

Making jokes about someone who has just died is poor taste. Letterman I am not into. Better Jay. Therein lies the thing with comedians-some think that there are no boundaries....when there indeed should be.It's just plain decency. If it had been true, I can picture a few milllion angry st fans, as should be. SCOTTY WILL LIVE ON .....and Jimmy Doohan's memory, in so many.

Edited by Voyager recruit

Along the same lines (almost) I remember when Johnny Cash died, within 24 hours I began seeing Motel 6 commercials (I think it was Motel 6) with him singing "I've Been Everywhere". I thought even that was in bad taste so soon after his death.

David Letterman though is just bad taste in a suit.