Sign in to follow this  
Quark

The TOS books

In the long series of TOS books, all the books, or at least most of them, were always numbered. For some reason now, they stopped numbering them. Why? :P And now, the TOS books are now, Star Trek: The Original Series books? B) I mean, why not just continue the good old series of Star Trek books and reach to at least the 100th book? That would just be a land mark. But no, they had to end the original TOS books with #97 "In The Name of Honour", which is actually pretty good. But still, they should continue the numbered books. :lol:

I had not noticed but now that you mention it, more of that insufferable change I guess... :lol:

Perhaps it has something to do with almost all novels released today being a part of a mini-series, books in mini-series have individual numbers so maybe maintaining a separate # sequence (a # for the book and a # for the book in a series) would only cause more confusion? B)

I had not noticed but now that you mention it, more of that insufferable change I guess... :lol:

Perhaps it has something to do with almost all novels released today being a part of a mini-series, books in mini-series have individual numbers so maybe maintaining a separate # sequence (a # for the book and a # for the book in a series) would only cause more confusion?  B)

True. But I was just refering to the TOS books that are independent, and not having books that continue.

I don't know the answer to your question, I only know that I love TOS books, and I wish there were more. I stopped buying them after a while, and only picked them up second-hand when I found them. Whatever happened to just a good story while they were on the original five-year mission? Everything now has to be part of a series covering all of the shows (in which case I'm not usually interested), or taking place during the movie years (not necessarily a bad thing), or during the TNG period. I want to read about TOS in their prime...

(I wouldn't mind DS9 pre-season 7 stories, either!!!!!)

I have only one book from TOS :P its called"ADVENTURES".

The crew find a lost city drifting in space 20 years away from the nearst human colony,the city is being pulled into a black hole and our heros have to convince

the ppl of the city to leave..well it was a good read not super but good.

They have stopped numbering everything. They don't # TNG anymore, not DS9, not VOY and not even ENT. The only reason I don't like it is because I don't know how many books there really are. It was neat to know that. But not having the numbers doesn't really bother me.

Guest Ktrek

Here is your answer as provided in the FAQ at PsiPhi.org. PsiPhi is dedicated mostly to Star Trek books and is visited by the authors and editors on a frequent basis and official answers can be found there. Here is what they say:

Q. Why aren't the books numbered anymore?

A. Because the editors don't want to number them. By and large, they don't actually occur in any sort of sequential order, so the only purpose of the numbers is to create a sort of "assembly line" impression about the books. Also, whether or not a book was numbered was becoming increasingly arbitrary -- what made The Q Continuum Trilogy numbered when The Best and the Brightest was not? Besides, they look ugly on the covers. Sequential series, such as I.K.S. Gorkon or New Frontier will likely continue numbering for the time being, at least in the booklist if not actually on the covers.

And if this does not satisfy you post a question for Marco Plamieri at PsiPhi. He is the current Pocket Books editor for Star Trek.

Here is the link:

PsiPhi

http://www.psiphi.org

Ktrek

Thank you Ktrek, great answer.

The REAL key to placing novels in the correct timeslot has always been the inclusion by the author of the stardate.

Right Now, I'm Reading The TOS Section 31 Book Called Cloak, It's Pretty Good. Set Not Long After "The Enterprise Incident". If Ya Haven't Read It Yet, I Recomend It. :unsure:

Guest Ktrek

The REAL key to placing novels in the correct timeslot has always been the inclusion by the author of the stardate.

Just in case you are curious where a book fits in the timeline here is a pretty extensive/exhaustive list site:

Star Trek Books Timeline

:unsure: :unsure: :thumbs:

Ktrek

Just in case you are curious where a book fits in the timeline here is a pretty extensive/exhaustive list site:

Star Trek Books Timeline

:unsure: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ktrek

Thank you again. :unsure: That is the most comprehensive collection of novel facts I have ever seen. :thumbs: I recommend all serious Trek readers visit and bookmark that one!

Guest Ktrek

Thank you again.  :thumbs:  That is the most comprehensive collection of novel facts I have ever seen.  :thumbs: I recommend all serious Trek readers visit and bookmark that one!

Always glad to help my fellow Trekkers/Trekkies! :unsure: :unsure:

Ktrek