Sign in to follow this  
Gary Phaserman

Website Hosting...

Alright, here's a question for you guys. I am having issues right now with Bravenet, who presently hosts the website used for a Sim I am in. None of us on the Webmaster's Crew (Myself, Krissy[the Chieflyone] and Jim) can get to the Hosting section. when we try to log in, we get a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error. Can anyone recommend a webhosting service other than Bravenet or Yahoo or Lycos (who I cannot figure out for the life of me)?

000k was a good one, but I am pretty sure they stopped the free hosting.

I am setting up my own server, once it’s all installed, setup and tested I would host your site… but I am not sure if I will have remote file uploads (I can’t install FTP without opening a firewall port I would rather not open, and FTP does not run so well on windows) and the completion time is unknown; so far I have tried to install Linux 5 times with no success (Linux installed, but the servers didn’t work).

What is it you want hosted? A forum? If so it may be better to look for a site that does only forums... I can tell you at lest 3 of them.

I'm looking for a freebe. Right now, I can't afford to be dishing out money for Web Hosting.

344111[/snapback]

I don't know of any "good" free hosts but they may be out there. If you can't find one let me know, I know of a host that only charges $5 a monthfor a pretty good hosting package.

I know you already said you don't like it, but I always use Geocities because im a cheap *buttocks*. where I basically just plan everything out on my comp and kinda.. stick it in lmao!

\Just a web site, BK. the url for the present one is http://embark.to/USSEros. It's hosted on Bravenet right now, but I can't access the hosting manager to fix a few problems and add some new stuff to it.

344116[/snapback]

I used angelfire for a long time. The ads were overbearing, but no worse then Bravenet.

It has emulated FTP, making it easy to upload. It does not have CHMOD that I know of, but then it’s unlikely you will want to hide anything.

Edited by BKY1701

I'm looking for a freebe. Right now, I can't afford to be dishing out money for Web Hosting.

344111[/snapback]

I don't know of any "good" free hosts but they may be out there. If you can't find one let me know, I know of a host that only charges $5 a monthfor a pretty good hosting package.

344139[/snapback]

I'll keep you informed, VBG.

I know you already said you don't like it, but I always use Geocities because im a cheap a55. where I basically just plan everything out on my comp and kinda.. stick it in lmao!

344216[/snapback]

The thing I don't like about Geocities is that you can't upload MS-Word generated HTM or HTML files. That's what I like about Bravenet. However, with Geocities, you can upload something like 25 files at once...

\Just a web site, BK. the url for the present one is http://embark.to/USSEros. It's hosted on Bravenet right now, but I can't access the hosting manager to fix a few problems and add some new stuff to it.

344116[/snapback]

I used angelfire for a long time. The ads were overbearing, but no worse then Bravenet.

It has emulated FTP, making it easy to upload. It does not have CHMOD that I know of, but then it’s unlikely you will want to hide anything.

344313[/snapback]

I'll give Angelfire a try.

i would use www.freewebs.com , which, apart from Geocities, is the best Free web hosting on the net.... Barely any/No ads on your site, but you have to have www.freewebs.com/your_site_here, but thats no biggy. Upload files, anytihng. I upload random stuff to my site when i need a free hosting. Go check it out!

Wow thats really cool! .. but I just thought I'd add a quick tip for geocities... when you havw loadz of text, I also place upon a background ( to do with that page tho lolza ) or somthing to begin with before uploading.. that way I can choose my own style font, and will not have to type it all out again. *dances* I know its a really awkward way of doing things, but thats just me ^^

Two of my websites are hosted by Internet Masters. Both of them have the capabilities of message forums (phpBB installed), chat rooms, and many other options. Cost of registering my domains and their top of the line system is less than $150 per year for both websites.

Internet Masters

One of my websites is at::

Radio Shack Sucks (which has almost 2000 registered users and has been in operation since Feb 2005.)

Of course, if you want a freebe, remember, you get what you pay for.

Edited by MongoBongo