Sign in to follow this  
Dark Reality

A chauvanistic look at TNG and VOY (and TOS)

Where's the "annoyed" or "puking" post icon? Oh well, I'll use the LOL one, because this is as laughable as it is annoying and disgusting.

I found a chauvanistic eBook online and started to read it, but it was so offensive I had to quit. However, flipping through, I found the guy's views on Star Trek, praising TOS and bashing TNG and VOY for some VERY strange reasons. Have a good laugh at this fool...

Another apparently trivial example of the “sexploitation” of men, in tandem with disempowering them, is the evolution of the famous Star Trek series, which is now such an ingrained part of (note) male culture that it needs no further introduction.  But let us briefly consider the evolution of the series, bearing this seeping feminist fuelled female “empowerment” - in reality, enslavement of women to mutually destructive values - in mind.  At first we had the traditional masculine hero figure of Captain Kirk – a “man’s man” so to speak, though his implied sexual behaviour over the whole series could have been viewed as a role model even for the antics of Bill Clinton.  So that was the mid 1960s, when the idea of men as leaders and heroes was still alive.  Feminism was however also alive, but only in the limited form of communications officer Lieutenant Uhuru, a bossy black lady, who would from time to time have to sternly tell off the lecherous Mr Sulu – and if necessary, in traditional bossy leather clad lady style, give him a slap.  But she was still a servant, and her short skirt, black stockings and boots presented her as a sex object for the entertainment of men, of which the feminists could surely not approve.  Though sexually irresponsible however, Captain Kirk was under no woman’s thumb. His close advisers were only the wise, deeply rational and emotionally aloof Mr Spock, and the over sentimental, but morally ardent and loyal Doctor McCoy.  Captain Kirk was a man in a man’s world, for whom women were just considered objects of pleasure and a passing fancy. His real “love” was not a woman, but his ship, The Enterprise, and no woman could rival her.

But by the 1980s, that had all changed, and we had – whether we liked it or not - a new more “politically correct” Captain Picard, who though still appearing masculine, was surrounded by “wise women” to advise him, and unlike the self-contained Kirk, seemed to live in permanent regret of never having a child, which theme was explored in one of the subsequent Star Trek movies.  Pathetically, under the howling feminist paranoia canonised into the tenets of “political correctness” – which is really the most tyrannical attack on free speech in history, far worse than anything the Inquisition ever thought up - he was compelled to say where no ONE had gone before, rather than where no MAN had gone before, as Captain Kirk had said in the original opening credits.  This is mentioned for the benefit of the younger male Star Trek fans, who likely don’t know how long this systematic stealing of their masculine identity and heroism has been going on, in even the most trivial aspect of life.

In particular this new “politically corrected” captain, was advised by Counsellor Troi, who was an “empath” – that is, she possessed an insight and sensitivity he clearly lacked. Though Picard was theoretically strong and decisive when required, this did not really ring true and consistent with all the insecurities he seemed to expose. In short, we had started to dip into the unreality of the feminist imaginary world. Picard would constantly have to be saved in one way or another by a succession of these wise women authority figures, such as female Doctor Crusher (bye bye Bones and the lovely Nurse Chappel, you will also note), and a supposedly mystical and enlightened black alien played by Whoopi Goldberg.  The male heartthrob vacancy left by Captain Kirk was filled by an ambiguous figure – Reiker - who was no longer in command, and under the spell of female Counsellor Troi (note the promotion to being in the “command team” from being a mere “lieutenant” like Uhuru).  So really, was setup the modern feministically oriented family, with a troubled, confused, insensitive man – Picard - guided/ruled/comforted by wise women - Troi, Crusher, etc. - with a spoiled and sexually hungry child in tow - “Commander” - as if he was, but really wasn’t – Reiker - who had somewhat Freudian feelings for his (allegorically and psychologically speaking) mother Troi.

The progressive destruction of the male role and its replacement by the female, was completed in the next Star Trek series, Voyager, with its first woman in charge, Captain Janeway, whose performance was described by one critic at its initial screening as “wooden.”  The chosen name itself for the new female captain was almost childishly ridiculous – as if to say – we’ve tried “joe’s way”, now let’s try “jane’s way.”  But there was a problem with the acceptance of this sci-fi series, as sci-fi is principally a male obsession – how could we get male superhero fans to stomach this idea of a female captain?  How as a middle aged, somewhat voluptuous though hardly beautiful woman, could she possibly compete with a male macho hero like Captain Kirk, or even the stoic charm of the Shakespearian expert actor who played Picard?  Especially after the actress herself in question had failed miserably to compete with Peter Falk’s brilliant and quirky detective, Columbo, in a soundly flopped series as his wife and female counterpart, Mrs Columbo. The solution was easy. They wrote in a virtually naked (in some kind of lycra bodystocking) beautiful female alien to keep men and boys watching, whilst the captain’s throne was handed to a woman.

So most men believe they cannot be or have never been hypnotised, yet men in their droves meekly and silently watched the star ship captain’s role – Kirk and Picard’s chair of command - taken over by a woman, while they hypnotically ogled the near naked, beauty and bossy female alien.  More importantly, it was just one more example of the insidious invasion of every traditional male role, however ridiculous that might be in reality.  This is not to deny that there are some few exceptional women who are able to fulfil a major leadership role, even perhaps a military one, such as Joan of Arc.  But such rare beings like say Moses or Joan of Arc are so far above the strata of those currently available in general to fulfil high office of either sex, as to be outside of the general debate.  So the short answer to how women are taking power away from men and according it to themselves is – they are stealing it from men under our noses whilst they keep our minds on sex.  It really is that simple.  But let us look at the end of their endeavour, rather than the means.  What are women in power like, what is life like when we do things “jane’s way”?

Offended? Take a number. :roflmao: As far as I'm concerned, prejudice against one gender is no different than prejudice against other races, which is the exact opposite of what Star Trek was all about. TOS had an African-American woman, a Russian, and a Vulcan, as bridge crew. So not only are African-Americans and Russians welcome on the Enterprise, aliens are as well. TNG expans on this, having an empathic alien, a Klingon, an android... Voyager and DS9 are equally or more diverse.

Also note that the author misspelled Riker's name, a few times. And to suggest that Troi is Riker's mother in any sense shows someone hasn't watched much of TNG (or Insurrection...) As for the "beautiful female alien", while on first glance it seems they're talking about Seven, but Seven aka Annika Hansen is human, not just humanoid. But the description of the clothing can only mean Seven. Again, the author is misinformed.

Completely disgusted with this. The book is "A Man's Liberation Guide to Women" by a Sam Fryman... and that eBook is being PROMPTLY deleted from my system. :dots:

Click For Spoiler
He's right in the sense that regular women's roles in Star Trek generally have been poor and insignificant.

TOS

Uhura - Didn't do much other than say "Hailing Frequencies Open/Closed Captain".

TNG

Beverely - A dull boring and tiresome character. Virtually no character development to speak of.

Troi - Aside from Wesley Crusher, the most hated of the TNG regulars.

Yar- Pointless character. Didn't last long.

VOY

Janeway - Another dull character. The idea that the crew would follow her for seven years without mutiny was nonsense IMO. Symptomatic of greater flaws in VOY which Ronald Moore correctly identified in an interview.

B'Elanna - Came across as more annoying to me. The "Klingon-Caught-Between-Two-Cultures" theme was handled in a much better way with Worf.

Kes - Another pointless character. Didn't last long.

Seven - Strongest female character in the Star Trek series minus DS9, but chosen for looks and sex appeal above anything else.

ENT

Hoshi - See Uhura.

T'Pol - See Seven, but take away the strong character.

Only DS9 had strong female roles. Kira in particular. Dax to a lesser extent. Although I must admit that Ezri Dax was a very weak character and the only thing about DS9 I didn't like.

Oh, and I resent the article saying Janeway isn't beautiful. I wouldn't go so far as to say she's the most attractive woman on the ship, but is somewhat attractive, as far as women her age go. A woman doesn't have to be under 25 to be beautiful. I wouldn't consider a long-term relationship with a woman that age, but I do give credit where credit is due.

HRH The King - I disagree with a few of those points. Not sure why these are spoilers, but I will follow suit. :flowers:

Click For Spoiler
Beverly - I can't think of specific examples, but I thought her character developed enough. She wasn't the social type really, dedicated to her work, but there was her past with Picard, her son Wesley, and remember when she took command, flew around the sun? What was that, Borg? I can only vaguely remember the episode.

Troi - I liked a few characters more, but I'd never describe her as hated. I really like how she sees things, from a more relaxed perspective.

Yar - No opinion here, I haven't seen so many of the first couple seasons' episodes.

Janeway - I disagree, but then she's my favorite Trek captain. I agree with a lot of her decisions, though I disagree about stopping every so often. I think if I were on Voyager, I'd be frustrated by her curiosity and frequent stops, but then it would be a good life if my life in the Alpha Quadrant hadn't been going so good. I like how every other episode tests her, and she makes good calls more often than not. (I secretly smile when she's proven wrong though.)

Torres - I liked her, she was a bit more... active than Worf. Worf was pretty reserved. Between the two Klingons I actually prefer Worf, but between the two engineers, it's Torres. Geordi had the cool visor, and he was smart, but Data moreso (obviously). There's a character I like Troi more than. :dude:

Kes - No argument there. She started out really cool, but it was like there was only so much they could do with her character. She should have been killed off half a season before.

Seven - Sex appeal and catsuits, yes... But I really liked her. It was a good idea to bring a liberated Borg drone into the crew, but before Seven I didn't realize any were female. Sure there are female Borg, but as far as I can remember, drones have all been male, except for the Queen. Great character... I LOVE it when she gives Janeway direct orders. Everyone else raises their eyebrows... she has less respect for the command structure; her priorities are more the best interests of "her new collective", and if in serving those intrests, she has to disobey Janeway or cut her captain out of the loop, she'll do it. I know it's been said a million times before, but she can assimilate me any time she wants. :lol:

I have no solid opinion on TOS, DS9, or ENT women as I'm not as familiar with those as I am with TNG and VOY.

What is pathetic about the guy writing the article is the belief that men can't be "men" if women are treated as equals - a "real man" wouldn't be afraid of a competent woman.

I do have to agree with HRH on one point - Kira was the best female Star Trek character.

I agree with most of the points everyone has made regarding the article.

:flowers: The guy that wrote this has some serious issues to sort out with the women in his life (if any).

As for Kate Mulgrew,I find her very attractive.Her age just enhances the attractiveness,IMO.Beauty and maturity...quite a combination. :dude:

For me women are equal with men there just as good to be a capt or any leader role so ya he does have issues with women but he better get use to it that's all I have to say in his best forest gump voice LOL.

Brian

Ridiculous. This article is obviously coming from someone who has seen very little trek at best. Misspells Riker, Uhura, and can't name Patrick Stewart. No mention of DS9 which had the strongest female characters or Seven of Nine.

If a person wants to criticize Star Trek for having female characters go ahead. I won't take any notice of his opinion but I'll be glad he has something to criticize, because it shows trek doesn't fit into his twisted viewpoint. What a goof.

OH you took the words right out of my mouth LOL a NON-TREK person telling me how star trek really is oh please I hope never to hear from this person again and keep his thoughts to himself. OK I feel better now, NOW back to what we love so much STAR TREK LOL.

Brian

I agree with most of the points everyone has made regarding the article.

:hug: The guy that wrote this has some serious issues to sort out with the women in his life (if any).

As for Kate Mulgrew,I find her very attractive.Her age just enhances the attractiveness,IMO.Beauty and maturity...quite a combination. :)

342548[/snapback]

I agree completely. She's always been attractive to me. Not necessarily sexually, but I just love her character. She has most of the common sense of Picard, but is a bit more serious, and at the same time takes more risks.

I'm not attracted to TV characters or movie stars for the most part. The woman on Voyager who really drives me nuts though is Torres. I kinda like her daughter more, Ens. Paris in Endgame. But we didn't see her as much, only in that one scene.

I'm equally glad to see a female captain. They should have done it a lot sooner, and Crusher running that ship in All Good Things doesn't count. :lol: