Sign in to follow this  

Are there any Great Big Sea fans here? What a great band. I don't think they have ever put out a bad album. Sea of No Cares is one of my favourites.

They are a Canadian band (from Newfoundland). Originally I would have described them as Celtic rock. That still encompasses their style but they are so much more. They are one of those bands that when you see them in concert you have little kids and grandmas and every age in between having a great time. If you go to Kazaa to download some songs to give them a try, I would suggest Sea of No Cares (the single) and Clearest Indication from their latest album. Some of my other favourites are Consequence Free and Ordinary Day.

Maybe I have already heard them? I don't know, but I am a fan of Celtic styles of music. I am part Irish, Welsh and Scottish. . .just to name a small part of my heritage(8 in total, possibly 9 different nationalities). So, I will definately check them out!

There for us canadians who like having some good beats when were drinking..they are an aquired taste.

Well, jdigs. . .I don't drink. . . .but I still wish to see for myself. As I said before, I like a wide variety of music. . .although I tend to stay away from: rap, heavy metal, grunge rock, and most alternative.

So I am still going to check them out! I am sure they are not JUST a get drunk and listen to them band, right soong_girl???

As for aquired tastes in music. . . . .

Hey, one of my current types of music I really like is music from certain anime series. . .particularly Inu-Yasha (my brother watches the show, and he introduced me to the world anime music). To the point that I have very quickly learned to sing in JAPANESE! I particularly like "Every Heart" and "No More Words".

And another type I have been a fan of for a long while is the soundtracks from Cirque Du Soleil, I have pretty much all of their CD's and have almost all of the videos of the shows! I love to sing along to several of the songs, ALL in various foreign languages. So I have also learned to sing songs in French, Spanish, Latin, Italian, ect. ect.

And I won't even GO into the fact that I am a Dr. Demento fan!

So BELIEVE me when I say I am open to listen to various styles of music, OK so I learned that from the fact that I come from a musical family.

Never Heard of Great Big Sea but if anyone likes unusual music like the stuff of Dr. Demento's radio program then are any of you Frank Zappa fans?

I wouldn't call them an acquired taste except that you could say that about all music. Some of the songs could be called good drinking songs but I don't drink either. They are hugely popular across Canada. Here is a link to a page on their website where you can listen to some clips of songs from their latest release.

Great Big Sea

I haven't heard much Dr. Demento but I did download that clip Picard at McDonald's with Brent Spiner's Patrick Stewart imitation. That was hilarious!!!

I wouldn't call them an acquired taste except that you could say that about all music.  Some of the songs could be called good drinking songs but I don't drink either.  They are hugely popular across Canada.  Here is a link to a page on their website where you can listen to some clips of songs from their latest release.

Great Big Sea

I haven't heard much Dr. Demento but I did download that clip Picard at McDonald's with Brent Spiner's Patrick Stewart imitation.  That was hilarious!!!

I kept seeing that when I was searching for music once, now I gotta downlowd that one (Picard at McDonalds)!

As for the person who asked about Frank Zappa, no I don't usually follow his stuff but, Dancin' Fool is kinda funny in a weird way.

Frank Zappa, is great... Songs like Dumb All Over , My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama , Zoot Allures, Disco Boy , Valley Girl , Fem Bot In A Wet T-Shirt Contest, and so many more all have great sardonic wit and brilliant compostions too... How anyone couldnt' like him beyond me.

Frank Zappa, is great... Songs like Dumb All Over , My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama , Zoot Allures, Disco Boy , Valley Girl , Fem Bot In A Wet T-Shirt Contest, and so many more all have great sardonic wit and brilliant compostions too... How anyone couldnt' like him beyond me.

Well, to each his/her own as the saying goes. Actually of Dr. Demento's collection I really like Wierd Al's stuff, as well as Tom Lehrer and Spike Jones. Also a large amount of great comedy songs come from the Smother's Brothers- of their stuff, Marching To Pretoria, Chocolate, Hangman, and The Slithery Dee are the best! Especially, "Pretoria" :unsure: :) :) !

What's this about Picard at McDonalds? I'm confused...

Sounds like an interesting band. I think I'll try them out too.

I don't drink either by the way. How good can music be if you have to be drunk to like it, anyways?

What's this about Picard at McDonalds? I'm confused...

Sounds like an interesting band. I think I'll try them out too.

I don't drink either by the way. How good can music be if you have to be drunk to like it, anyways?

soong_girl said something about Brent imitating Patrick. all I know is a saw it once on a search for music, and I went to download it but it wouldn't download. I probably will go try to check it out again!

not a huge fan of great big sea, but i love other newfie music like the irish descendants. my parents were both born and raised in newfoundland so i know alot of the music and culture. (i live and was born in alberta however.)

newfoundland rocks! lol.

I've heard of Great Big Sea through a band called Carbon Leaf, outta Richmond, VA. Who i think did a tour with them.

BTW if you like Great Big Sea then you'll love the Pogues, The Woods Band, or Shane MacGowan and the Popes :bow: