Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

One less star over Hollywood

Register your condolences with a click  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Register your condolences with a click

• Here's to ya, lad

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>In Remembrance of James Doohan 1920-2005</span>

jamesdoohan.jpg

James Doohan, who played the much loved chief engineer Montgomery Scott in Star Trek, has died at the age of 85 after suffering from pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease.

James appeared in three seasons of the classic Star Trek and seven of the subsequent films from Star Trek The Motion Picture up until Generations, which saw the passing of the film franchise baton to the Next Generation crew.

Born in Vancouver and the youngest of four children Doohan joined the Royal Canadian Artillery aged 19 at the outbreak of World War 2, eventually rising to the rank of lieutenant. He took part in the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day where he lost his middle right finger in a machine gun attack. Later he became a pilot for the Royal Canadian Air Force, flying an artillery observation plane.

After the war Doohan had earned a reputaion as a versitile character actor when he auditioned for the role of the chief engineer of the starship Enterprise. Doohan tried out several accents and it was this gift for using foreign accents that landed him the job. He subsequently devised both the Vulcan and Klingon languages for the motion pictures.

His first marriage to Judy Doohan produced four children and he had two children by his second marriage to Anita Yagel. In 1974 James married Wende Braunberger, and had two sons, Eric and Thomas.

An active man, James Doohan attended many Star Trek fan conventions and continued to do this well into his 80s, before falling ill, and he became a father again at the age of 80, when his wife Wende gave birth to their daughter Sarah.

His last public appearance was in October 2004 when he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

483447df.jpg

Difinitely an extreme loss for the Startrek community. He was a great actor and will be sorely missed.

Well... he did give all he gots, captain.

Goodbye old friend and thank you...

Edited by Capt_Picard

I've added a poll to this thread, there's 2 options but only one with text. Everyone please click on "Here's to ya, lad" to register your condolences and sorrow at the passing of one of the most beloved characters in all of Star Trek.

Any votes in the empty selection will be integrated into the top choice.

It is ashame that yet another TOS actor has died. It is definatly sad to see him go but he will now be in a better place acting as the Cheif Engineer of God's Starship. I am sure he will be in a better place and all of his pain is now gone due to his illnesses. Well James we will surely miss you and we will definatley miss the best Cheif Engineer ever to be in Starfleet history. Heres to you Lad.... We love you and will never forget you.. Now instead of Kirk, Spock, or Sulu asking you to beam them up, you are asking the big man to beam you up. Good bye. :roflmao:

Such a Bummer I read about once I signed onto Yahoo, i knew he was fighting Alzheimer's disease bu I did not know his health was this bad, a Complete shock to me and I'm sad, Here's To you lad, and now i start my Star trek Movies Marathon of all the TOS movies in his memory starting @ 11:00 Pm :roflmao:

We raise our glasses to ya James. It is sad to see you go but your memory will live on forever through Star Trek. I will fly my flag at half staff for the rest of this week in remeberance of you. Rest in peace and may your soul warp into the next life. We love you.

For Trek fans everywhere.....

A man who defines chief engineer and believed in the dreams of Star Trek will still be with us as his remains will be launched into space,still making sure we will be" giving it all she's got".

To a warm and nice man, and with the finest bottle of scotch, Heres to you Scotty! :flowers:

:flowers: We will mis the worlds greatist Engener of all time Scotty (aka James Doohan