Sign in to follow this  
Yillara Skye

AtlanticHurricane Season Underway!

B) :lol: GUESS I DON'T NEED THE LINK, AS I AM UNDER THE SAME SKIES AS YOU ARE. MAYBE NOT TO FAR AWAY FROM YOU. B) B) CAN'T WAIT FOR THE AIR TO DRY UP ALITTLE. :P

;) THE SUN JUST CAME OUT HERE!!!!!!

We on th east coast of Florida will be getting a little bit of the squall lines... but I really feel for the people in Louisiana who were so hard hit last year with TS Isidore and Hurricane Lily one week later. So early into the season, and they are getting hit again....

But the whole southeast is being affected...so we'll see how this all pans out before the "C" storm forms...

I've lived in Virginia now for 3 years and have yet to experience a hurricane. Needless to say, I'm not too thrilled about the season starting. I've gone through tornadoes and winter blizzards where I've experienced white outs but a hurricane is low on my list of things to experience. So far I've been lucky. Here's hoping that the luck holds.

I've lived in Virginia now for 3 years and have yet to experience a hurricane.  Needless to say, I'm not too thrilled about the season starting.  I've gone through tornadoes and winter blizzards where I've experienced white outs but a hurricane is low on my list of things to experience.  So far I've been lucky.  Here's hoping that the luck holds.

In St. Augustine we have not experienced a straight on shot by a hurricane in a long while. Tropical depressions and storms yes, hurricanes, no. We were sideswiped a few times, like with Floyd...that was interesting, in a frightning sort of way. Minimal damage in our yard..just a tree beside our house fell over, some other large braches fell....my family fared well. Could not say that for everyone in town...a former student of mine had a tree fall through her house, and a couple peoples rooves were blown off.

Usually when we get a storm in the area, my family and I head for the sea wall at a certain section of beach, we hold onto the fence as the waves crash over us and the sea foam flies all around. While TD or TS force winds are blowing. Awesome experience, IMO...we have been doing that since my sister and I were very little(my youger brother was born in 1986, so he got to experience it a few years later). If an evacuation is called, however, we of course dont go to the sea wall...too dangerous. What is even cooler is often we get to see the Weather Channel broadcasting from just down the beach from where we are...or local news channels.. It is really neat(No, we are not the types to run up and get in the camera...but it is cool to watch people I see on TV everyday do their work in person, albeit from a long distance away).

Hey! I never noticed this part before! on the far right hand side is a set of different types of maps that Actually can be helpful.

Then this site can also be used for local weather updates(other than Hurricane stuff)--which is the part I already knew

That's a great link. Thanks Yillara. I live in lower Alabama, so I'll be using this at least until the end of hurricane season.

That's a great link. Thanks Yillara. I live in lower Alabama, so I'll be using this at least until the end of hurricane season.

You are welcome , glad to be of assistance!

I'm looking forward to a good hurricane this year. When I lived on the Outer Banks of North Carolina we would get hit by a hurricane every couple of years and we would always have a great party as the storm hit us.Now that I live in Florida I'm hopeing we get one to come thru the west coast of Florida.Batten down the hatches,tie down anything thats not buried in the dirt and get a case of beer,lets ride this puppy out!!! Wohooo!!! :bow:

ok, ok I know this is silly and can be seen as dangerous. but during Floyd(not a direct hit though, we were sideswiped a bit), we went swimming in our pool and spent a lot of time outside... :bow: why I said it could be considered dangerous was we did this when we actually were supposed to be evacuating(our radio had gone dead, so we didn't hear anything about it until later)...

Whenever I hear the words "Manditory Evacuation" thats when I go to the store and stock up on the beer! :o

I was in South Carolina when Hurricane Hugo hit,my roomates and I sat on our porch and got wasted while watching the trees across the street blow over.And on the Outer Banks at the height of the storm we would go down to the beach and watch the waves crash into the houses that some stupid people would build on the dunes.

My dad was watching the news one day when Hurricane Bertha (I think it was bertha) hit the Outer Banks and got a little tickled when he saw a group of people running down the beach and jumping up and down in the wind and rain and then reliezed that it was me with my friends.He called me a couple of days later (When the phone service returned) to tell me we made the national news! :bow:

Ahh the hurricane parties we always read about in newspapers and hear about on Storm Stories..

Update: Danny is in the Mid-Atlantic...but isn't expected to hit land at this time

Hey Anyone in North Florida Area, check this out! Thhe storm center is not too far from my home town, and one or two other board members... best to keep updated

This is from the first site I had posted, so to keep updated click one of the two links I have in above posts.

WONT41 KNHC 251307

DSAAT

SPECIAL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE STATEMENT

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

9:15 AM EDT FRI JUL 25 2003

HIGH RESOLUTION VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY.. RADAR AND BUOY DATA

ALONG THE EAST COAST OF FLORIDA INDICATE THAT A SMALL AREA OF LOW

PRESSURE HAS FORMED ABOUT 60 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF ST. AUGUSTINE

FLORIDA. THIS SYSTEM HAS DEVELOPED FROM THE SAME TROPICAL WAVE THAT

SPAWNED TROPICAL DEPRESSION SIX.  THE LOW IS PRODUCING SHOWERS AND

GUSTY WINDS...WHICH ARE EXPECTED TO SPREAD NORTHWARD TODAY AND

SATURDAY. UPPER-LEVEL CONDITIONS ARE NOT FAVORABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT

DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM.   

Edited by Yillara_Soong

Heads up Texas...Erika is on her way... at least currently that is her predicted path...check one of the two links in above posts by me for updates

I enjoy a good storm, as long as no one is hurt and there is little or no damage. So far we've had a "dry spell" here in Va for a couple years now. Which I guess is a good thing. Like I said though, if no one is hurt and there's no damage Bring it on lol

Stardate:213619.9

Man i thought living on the West Coast we were lucky because we only get like one very small hurricane once every 5 years.But to hear you guys talk it sounds like Im missing out. B)

The only advantage living in California has over Louisiana,as far as I'm concerned is that at least here,we don't worry about hurricanes.Well,I guess we also don't worry about West Nile Virus,either.I still miss home,though. :bow:

The only advantage living in California has over Louisiana,as far as I'm concerned is that at least here,we don't worry about hurricanes.Well,I guess we also don't worry about West Nile Virus,either.I still miss home,though. :bow:

True and living here in this area of Florida, the gulf stream is 55 miles out, storms in a lot of occasions will follow that...so except for sideswipers we dont get to see very many direct hits of hurricanes...

The difference is true, roguedawg....however on this side we dont get the magnitude of earthquakes that California does. Note:In Florida, the St.John's River is an ancient fault line(believe it or not, fellow Floridians), we do get faint tremors from time to time(probably barely registers on the Richter scale)...usually feels like a large truck rumbling down the road.But nothing on the par of California whos San Andreas is recently active.

I enjoy a good storm, as long as no one is hurt and there is little or no damage. So far we've had a "dry spell" here in Va for a couple years now. Which I guess is a good thing. Like I said though, if no one is hurt and there's no damage Bring it on lol

VBG, I DO NOT think this upcoming storm will be something you want at all!

FABIAN at this time is a poewrful CATEGORY 4, winds 145, gusts to 180mph!

Heads up, and lets all pray(In whatever way you do)

Fabian

Edited by Yillara_Soong

VBG, I DO NOT think this upcoming storm will be something you want at all!

FABIAN at this time is a poewrful CATEGORY 4, winds 145, gusts to 180mph!

Heads up, and lets all pray(In whatever way you do)

Fabian

By the time it would get to us it likely would be much much weaker, the way the coastline is the storm usually follow the coast, here's what the coast looks like in relation to where I am:

mapimage.gif

I do enjoy a good storm and like I said before, as long as no one is hurt and there's no major damage then bring it on lol.

I do enjoy a good storm and like I said before, as long as no one is hurt and there's no major damage then bring it on lol.

Lets hope it dies down a bit... I too enjoy a storm now and then(still kind of want to be a storm chaser), but this one is strong right now. In my situation we usually only get sideswiped by a storm because of where the Gulf stream is in relation to my hometown. Unless the conditions are right ,the storms hit the Gulf stream and usually follow it up and out from our area. From where I am the Stream is appx 50 miles out(always'll remember that because my family and I went deep sea fishing out there...definately had a blast then)

If the east coast were a litttle more straight we'd be in trouble but the storms seem to follow the line of the coast, we still get the effects of the storms but rarely (if ever) do we get full force.

If the east coast were a litttle more straight we'd be in trouble but the storms seem to follow the line of the coast, we still get the effects of the storms but rarely (if ever) do we get full force.

Exactly. Main reason we only get the most minor of things that come through.. Last dead on hit was Edouard for my hometown, last year...but by the time that little tropical storm hit, it was nothing but wind and a little bit of clouds. It formed inside between the gulf stream and the coast...

Edited by Yillara_Soong

We have a Hugh thunderstom coming our way right now. The first peal of Thunder I heard rolled for 45 seconds at least, it's going to be a great show! :bow:

TS Henri is off the west coast of FL it is heading east ward...the projected path makes it so it will, with a high percent of possibility, exit right over my hometown(I am in the north east area of FL.