Sign in to follow this  
Proto-type

SPOCK VS. Q

It's live!!!

Recorded live, that is. :lol:

And it's my favorite Star Trek recording (Cd) of all time!

SPOCK VS. Q starring, of course, the ineffable Leonard Nimoy and the incorrigible John de Lancie!

For the benefit of those who might not be so familiar, I will elaborate.

In SPOCK VS. Q, Leonard Nimoy and John de Lancie once again bring their characters to glorious life in the most lively and entertaining debate since Nixon vs. Kennedy. Recorded in front of a live audience (1999), it is the ultimate confrontation between chaos and logic.

Here's the premise (and I know it sounds like Armaggedon or Deep Impact but neither of them had Spock and Q in the mix!) :lol:

As the end of the twentieth century nears, an asteroid is hurtling towards Earth. When it hits the impact will result in the end of all life on the planet.

Ambassador Spock travels back in time to subtly warn Earth's inhabitants of impending doom while calling into question humanity's priorities. However, before the truth is told, the all-powerful being Q appears and reminds Spock that he is prohibited from interfering in Earth's history. Besides, Q doesn't see mankind as something worth saving.

This initial encounter between the two legendary characters explodes into a battle of wits as Spock cleverly befuddles Q with his own words. As barbs are exchanged, and humanity's flaws and wonders are laid bare, Spock's logic just may convince Q that humans are indeed a species worthy of salvation, but will he be too late?

Because it is a live recording, it is filled with electricity and improvisation. In my opinion, it is Spock and Q at their best and who didn't always dream of these two going head to head with each other?

I was checking out Amazon.com to see about availability and, lo and behold, I didn't realize there was a sequel! :lol:

Here's the synopsis:

Following their debate over the fate of mankind, Spock and Q have continued their discussions over a meal. After dining, the two return to the stage to recount their repast, which included encounters with several of Spock's former shipmates. However, at the moment the two verbal sparring partners shake hands, a power surge places them in total darkness. Suddenly, Spock and Q are no longer on stage, but somewhere in deep space. As they struggle to determine what has happened, a curious personality change takes hold. Spock is overcome with giddy delight. Q is much more serious, even...logical. Masterfully performed by Leonard Nimoy and John de Lancie, this is a fascinating and often hilarious role reversal that reveals previously unknown sides of Spock and Q!

IT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS OR BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL!!!!

I just wish there was a smiley for a 'happy camper'! :dude:

Yes, I love that recording also. I also have Spock vs. Q: The Sequel!

Click For Spoiler

Big time spoiler ahead of the first version!

Click For Spoiler

I wouldn't click unless you want the first one spoiled!

Click For Spoiler

Riddles from the middle of the encounter:

Chubby cloud, fiddle fern, strangely attractive, quark in the dark, ships float, butterflies fly, tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow cries the sky.

CHOAS THEORY. Ships float is derivative of Archimedes' principle for specific gravity, ferns and clouds are examples of earthly geometry, strange attraction and quarks are part of galactic design, and the butterfly is from Lorenzo’s idea that that creature's wings affect weather patterns around the globe. This is all sensitive dependence on initial conditions...In two words, chaos theory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is like dramatic structure, and like a Greek column, but has one-thousand eyes, wears a pointed helmet and a necklace of domestic foul, and never sits down?

THE CHRYSLER BUILDING. Something which never sits is by nature stationary. And if it wears domestic foul about its neck, it likely cannot smell. And if it has a thousand eyes but cannot move smell, or necessarily see, then it is inanimate. It would not be a Greek column, because you wouldn't define a column as "like" a Greek column. Therefore composed of base, shaft, and capitol it is of three parts, just as is drama; namely: beginning, middle, end.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone knows me. Once, it is rumored, a man drank his fill of me, much to his regret. Others prefer me in small doses for small ills. Some describe me as the sky, the land and age. A tongue, fire, bird, fish, flower, I am captive, I am free, worshipped and lost, loved and eschewed, pure and corrupt, black and white. I am found in the deepest well and on the highest mountain. I am animal, vegetable, mineral. Who am I?

GOLD. During the Roman Empire, Krauses is reputed to have poisoned himself by drinking liquid gold. People use it to treat arthritis. Gold is captive in mines, but runs free in streams.

The destiny of this fair shell, the earth and its inhabitants dwell on gossamer thread and lacewing breath, when it should be connectedness. --- --- --- ---, which binds enemy, lover, friend, survival must on this depend.

SYMBIOSYS.

Now, steady friend, welcome does reminder gleam, earth's enemy, long dead.

A STAR.

Edited by Eratosthenes