Sign in to follow this  
Proto-type

The New Battlestar Galactica

Howcum in BG they can invent starships yet they don't have the technology for energy based weapons? They still use bullets and missles.

346966[/snapback]

I'm guessing that energy based weapons are a cliche that one finds in too much science fiction, and the writers are trying to avoid it. We've seen blasters and ray guns in everything from the original 1930's Buck Rogers through Star Trek, Star Wars, and so forth. Galactica has a low-tech feel on purpose. When I watch Voyager I never at any time feel that the crew is really in any danger. After all they have shields, phasers, photon torpedoes, a Borg-babe that can hack anything, a holographic Doctor that's virtually indestructable, and transporters. It's kinda hard to feel like there is any real danger given such an arsenal. By contrast the Galactica has only FTL (faster-then-light) jump engines and lots of guns & missles. The Cylons are far deadlier to the Galactica then the Borg ever were to Voyager.

To be fair there is a lot of science fiction that avoids ray guns that is exceptional:

Blade Runner

The Terminator films

Total Recall

The Alien films

Predator 1 and 2

The Fifth Element

Stargate SG-1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there are 'ray guns' in Terminator and Predator. Stargate has the zat and the staff. Granted none of those energy weapons are human built.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure there are 'ray guns' in Terminator and Predator. Stargate has the zat and the staff. Granted none of those energy weapons are human built.

348804[/snapback]

Well...we only see the Terminator use energy based weapons in the one scene that takes place in the future, so its a short scene. In Predator they never clearly define what the sholder mounted weapon actually is...it might be an energy weapon but it seems to me more like some sort of high-tech miniture missle launcher. You'd have to admit that most of the time the Predators rely mostly on very lowtech weapons like spears and blades.

I'll buy the Enterprise dvds instead........unless I develop insomnia.........then I might buy the BG dvds to help me get some sleep

I Got Season 1 Lastnight. This Was The First Time I Saw The Mini-Series. Did Anyone Else Notice Serenity Flyng Over Caprica? :(

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

BSG is a great new show. Much better than the original.

Right now my favorite is Smallville. I also like THRESHOLD and SURFACE.