Sign in to follow this  
Proto-type

The New Battlestar Galactica

I'm still reeling from the wealth of storytelling and filmmaking that was deposited into my television treasury Friday night.

And, yes, I did say filmmaking even though I know, full well, that this is just a 'lowly' television series...kind of like all the Star Trek incarnations.:wink2:

Battlestar Galactica has become Sci-Fi Channel's flagship and rightly so.

The gritty, jump-cut shots give the viewer the sense that the hand-held camera is right on their own shoulder powerfully imbuing the series with an immediacy rarely experienced in the sci-fi television genre. It has become an intrinsic signature of the show and makes for an explosive and visceral viewing experience. Watching this show is not a passive activity but a reactive one.

Ronald D. Moore proves that less is more when it comes to character development and dialogue. His succinct transmittal of essential yet revealing information regarding his myriad of characters is truly masterful. We sit on the edge of our seats, waiting for the gold nuggets of personal pasts and intertwined intimacies, which his characters never fail to deliver with nuances recognizable for their sheer, true humanity.

If he continues to steer the helm of the fleet, Ronald Moore will achieve iconic stature in the realm of science fiction series/film. It is this writer's opinion that Battlestar Galactica will not only rival but surpass every previous sci-fi series, in both the number of seasons produced and the breadth and depth of it's scope, setting a new high watermark for all sci-fi to come.

Edited by Proto-type

I cannot agree more.

Battlestar Galactica is easily the best science fiction show currently airing (sorry Stargate fans, but its only the truth).

The quality of the writing, the acting, and whole look of the show as well as the gravatis brought to it by the themes make this the best ride since Babylon-5 ran between 1993-1998.

Some critics have made complaints that I find, frankly, amusing. One friend of mine said "I don't like the way the Galactica looks...its too clunky". That's the whole point. It isn't ment to look slick like a Star Trek vessal, but rather like an old warhorse that can take a beating and keep on ticking. I loved that shot in the miniseries when a cylon nuke hit the Galactica and the ship groaned and reeled like an old wooded frigate riding out a typhoon.

I like Starbuck (Lt. Thrace) better as a woman, and Katy Sakoff* is a far better actor then Dirk Benedict ever was.

I'm hoping it runs for a good 6 Seasons...and I hope they never find Earth (what an anti-climax if they ever did).

*I can't remember how to spell her name, sorry...

proto-type: that's very persuasive bit of writing - although I'm not sure how you get that out of BSG. I will give that BSG is technically well done - cinematography, scoring etc.

Someone on another board posted the review that said ENT would have been better if it were like BSG. And people keep talking about realism - here's what I posted regarding BSG's realism. They actually nomimated me #1 BSG basher.

I didn't hate this show at first - I'm just tired of the critics trying to push it down my throat. I have a big issue with what "Hollywood types" consider "realism"

On the other hand - if BSG is the new face of Scifi - maybe it's not so bad - think how much I can save by getting rid of cable.

Click For Spoiler
The oh so realistic BSG world.

Okay, maybe having sex with people that exist only in your mind is reality for some people. And we all know that all fathers and sons secretly hate each other and never speak - that's realistic (my family is apparently abnormal). And machines that look like people - well that's realistic; TNG apparently had it all wrong with Data.

And when people do have sex with people outside their mind - let's see, it's to get information about their job or to try to take their mind off the person they really want to be with - but it doesn't work because you call out that persons name anyway. If a spouse is a good, loving spouse they're going to die - no reprieve - they're toast - but if they're a deceptive manipulative cheat - well they'll survive anything. Nobody gets married and has children and remains a family unit - if you're going to be anyone important make sure your spouse dies or you get divorced - unless your spouse is one of the aforementioned deceptive, manipulative cheats - then by all means stay married.

Of course everyone lies - even to the point of putting national security at risk to hide the fact that they're sleeping with some one. Politicians do anything - including killing off witnesses to get elected. Only alcholics or those with major personal demons populate this realistic society. Nobody ever smiles, nobody ever experiences happiness. If religion exists - it is new age and/or animistic. Because we all know that is the only kind of religion that exists. Just once I would like to see someone on that show that was "normal". To be honest, I have to wonder why these people are even fighting to stay alive since life is apparently such a dark miserable experience to begin with.

The only real positive thing I can say about it is - it is visually appealing and they use music well with their panoramic shots

Actually, I misspoke it is only visually appealing to a point - I personally don't like monochromatic shows - CSI:NY is the same way.

Everyone's a better actor than Dirk Benedict. :(

And I would still like to see the stats that combine the first and second runs of each of the Friday night shows before I'll believe BSG is really the more popular - in other words the Nielsens' only measures the first run. And what about those of us who fall asleep in front of the tv?

Well...

there's always a margin of error regarding Nielsens ratings. However, the scifi channel themselves reported that the Battlestar Galactica miniseries was the highest rated even in that channel's history when it aired, ousting Dune by more then 2,000,000 viewers. It is now reported consistantly at scifi.com and in scifi magazine that Battlestar is the highest rated show on that station...and they should know since it is their station.

I fall somewhere between the two views; I agree with some of what both Proto-type and TUH have said.

I really like the show and will continue to watch it, and I agree that it is very visually appealing. Number 6 could be a decent character if they gave her more to do (other than the obvious :( ), but Dr Baltar continues to get on my... last... nerve. If that character were eliminated, the show would be better for it, IMO.

I also don't care for the changes made to the openening music this season. It was already good; it didn't need to be altered to that loud wailing... or whatever.

I wouldn't compare it to Trek as they're completely different in execution. I like both styles in different ways.

I think this new BG is the biggest snoozefest on TV. I was, and still am, a big fan of the original series and was excited when I heard about its return. But after watching the first 4 episodes, I was bored to death. Thank God they are now planning a new movie based on the original BG.

I think this new BG is the biggest snoozefest on TV. I was, and still am, a big fan of the original series and was excited when I heard about its return. But after watching the first 4 episodes, I was bored to death. Thank God they are now planning a new movie based on the original BG.

341413[/snapback]

I am shocked that anyone could entertain such an opinion. How can you compare a show that was killed in its first season because of bad writing to a modern marvel like the new Battlestar Galactica....???

I think the new BSG is absolutly fantastic. One of the best Sci-Fi shows since Star Trek. the writing is top notch and the epsiodes very exciting. I for one am looking forward to watching this show grow and continue to get better.

Myself I was very excited when I first hear about BSG, then I made one final mistake, I watched it. I have never been able to sit down and just watch the show the way that I do with Trek Or Stargate. I find the story to be boring and hard to follow. I have never been a big fan of shows that do the "sudden jumps" from one scene to another and back and forth. I still have my TiVo set to record the show everyweek so that I can still give it a chance but honestly so far the show has yet to impress me at all.

proto-type: that's very persuasive bit of writing - although I'm not sure how you get that out of BSG.

Well, thank you, Unicorn Hunter...I think. :lol:

Someone on another board posted the review that said ENT would have been better if it were like BSG.  And people keep talking about realism - here's what I posted regarding BSG's realism.   They actually nomimated me #1 BSG basher.

I didn't hate this show at first - I'm just tired of the critics trying to push it down my throat.   I have a big issue with what "Hollywood types" consider "realism"

On the other hand - if BSG is the new face of Scifi - maybe it's not so bad - think how much I can save by getting rid of cable.

I think you're just grand, UH...for a #1 BSG basher, that is.:wink1:

Okay, maybe having sex with people that exist only in your mind is reality for some people.

Actually, I find this scenario to be an extremely imaginative representation of a real womanizer. A man, just like Gaius, who seems to be here but is really always toying with his next conquest in his mind. There are plenty of them out there, usually just as articulate and charming as Gaius was on Caprica. Frankly, it delights me to no end to see him being tormented by his own obsessions.

And we all know that all fathers and sons secretly hate each other and never speak - that's realistic (my family is apparently abnormal).

Then you are a lucky duck and I truly take my hat off to you. Some of us have not been so fortunate. :)

And machines that look like people - well that's realistic; TNG apparently had it all wrong with Data.

:lol: I will admit that my heart belongs to Data. :lol: But, it is terrifying to imagine a world where we really don't know who's human and who's not. It was this sense of frightening futility that fueled the Terminator films. Remember that pit in the bottom of your stomach when the T-1000 (that liquid metal Terminator) first morphs his arm into a weapon? Uggghhh! Deception is, unfortunately, a powerful truth in the real world (achingly so) and any writer that has the guts to risk dealing with such an evocative issue gets my vote.

And when people do have sex with people outside their mind - let's see, it's to get information about their job or to try to take their mind off the person they really want to be with - but it doesn't work because you call out that persons name anyway. If a spouse is a good, loving spouse they're going to die - no reprieve - they're toast - but if they're a deceptive manipulative cheat - well they'll survive anything. Nobody gets married and has children and remains a family unit - if you're going to be anyone important make sure your spouse dies or you get divorced - unless your spouse is one of the aforementioned deceptive, manipulative cheats - then by all means stay married.

Again, I envy your contentment and truly do wish you all the best. My experiences have been vastly different. My sincerity in relationships has been juxtaposed by those that would not sustain sincerity on their part and, believe me, they're not only out there, they look and feel human...

Of course everyone lies - even to the point of putting national security at risk to hide the fact that they're sleeping with some one. Politicians do anything - including killing off witnesses to get elected. Only alcholics or those with major personal demons populate this realistic society. Nobody ever smiles, nobody ever experiences happiness.

I hate to sound like a broken record but this sounds somewhat akin to human history since the dawn of time. Yes, there are moments of sublime joy and smiles but everyone wrestles with their personal demons even if it is behind closed doors.

If religion exists - it is new age and/or animistic. Because we all know that is the only kind of religion that exists.

Well, what about the fascinating theme of the Cylon's 'one true God' versus the more pagan polytheistic Lords of Kobol? I'm following this development with baited breath.

Just once I would like to see someone on that show that was "normal".

Perhaps they will develop the budding romance between the President's young aide and the young woman in C&C but I think it's important to remember that we are meant to be witnessing humanity at war. Europe during World War II was pervaded with an overriding atmosphere of distrust, fear and terror. It seeped into everyone's lives to the point that you could taste it. That's what's on the table here.

To be honest, I have to wonder why these people are even fighting to stay alive since life is apparently such a dark miserable experience to begin with.

Because no one chooses the alternative no matter how 'dysfunctional' they are. It's the nature of the beast.

The only real positive thing I can say about it is - it is visually appealing and they use music well with their panoramic shots.

Actually, I misspoke it is only visually appealing to a point - I personally don't like monochromatic shows - CSI:NY is the same way.

And here it is I thought we could agree on something. :dude: :)

Everyone's a better actor than Dirk Benedict.

There you go! We do agree on something!!! :)

And I would still like to see the stats that combine the first and second runs of each of the Friday night shows before I'll believe that BSG is really the more popular - in other words the Nielsens' only measures the first run.

Since Validus already addressed this, no need to be redundant.

And what about those of us who fall asleep in front of the tv?

:idea31: I'd be happy to brew you a cup of tea.

I fall somewhere between the two views; I agree with some of what both Proto-type and TUH have said.

I really like the show and will continue to watch it, and I agree that it is very visually appealing. Number 6 could be a decent character if they gave her more to do (other than the obvious  :lol: ), but Dr Baltar continues to get on my... last... nerve. If that character were eliminated, the show would be better for it, IMO.

I also don't care for the changes made to the openening music this season. It was already good; it didn't need to be altered to that loud wailing... or whatever.

I wouldn't compare it to Trek as they're completely different in execution. I like both styles in different ways.

341309[/snapback]

You make some interesting points, some I agree with, others I don't. Looks like we have that in common. :)

I also do not like the changes they have made in the opening music this season. At least they haven't touched the Taeko drums during the battle scenes!!!

I know that the relationship between Number 6 and Baltar can get a bit tedious but, in real life, these relationships are superficial and transparent to everyone else but those two 'on the inside'.

Edited by Proto-type

Such beautiful examples of how disagreements of opinion can be discussed civilly that I just had to read your replys twice. Very nice Proto-type! :lol:

I watched the pilot is all then became 'too busy' to follow along and now I find myself very sorry for not making time to stick with this one. Being faithful that ENT would go on didn't help, if only I'd known when GSG started that Treks days were numbered... oh well, spilled milk.

But I do need something to fill the Sci-Fi void in my world since Trek died and of all the current choices available out there; I am beginning to believe this could be the one.

Would I be totally lost if I were to watch a few new upcoming episodes? Without divulging any major spoilers* of the story so far; is there anything you could (please) tell me about the story that will help me pick up the threads? :helpsmilie:

*I wonder when season one will be coming to DVD

How can you compare a show that was killed in its first season because of bad writing to a modern marvel like the new Battlestar Galactica....???

Correction: The original BG was killed because it was too expensive to make. At the time, it was the most expensive show on television. The show was still in the top 10 in the ratings when it was cancelled. The network geniuses felt that the new concept of Battlestar:1980 would be much cheaper to make and somehow still be entertaining.

How can you compare a show that was killed in its first season because of bad writing to a modern marvel like the new Battlestar Galactica....???

Correction: The original BG was killed because it was too expensive to make. At the time, it was the most expensive show on television. The show was still in the top 10 in the ratings when it was cancelled. The network geniuses felt that the new concept of Battlestar:1980 would be much cheaper to make and somehow still be entertaining.

341674[/snapback]

That's what Glen Larson says, and maybe he's telling the truth but I doubt it. One of the reasons for my doubt is Douglas Trumbell. Douglas Trumbell, who did many of the special effects work on the original Star Wars, was hired to work on Battlestar Galactica and bowed out when he saw how shoddy the final product was.

Once that happened, few people continued to have faith in the show. Douglas Trumbell later went on to work on films like Star Trek: The Motion Picture while Battlestar Galactica went on to become yet another example of 70's kitch that was best forgotten.

341674[/snapback]

That's what Glen Larson says, and maybe he's telling the truth but I doubt it. One of the reasons for my doubt is Douglas Trumbell. Douglas Trumbell, who did many of the special effects work on the original Star Wars, was hired to work on Battlestar Galactica and bowed out when he saw how shoddy the final product was.

Once that happened, few people continued to have faith in the show. Douglas Trumbell later went on to work on films like Star Trek: The Motion Picture while Battlestar Galactica went on to become yet another example of 70's kitch that was best forgotten.

341738[/snapback]

Actually, according to the Scifi channel - the original BSG was in the top ten fo the ratings (the only scifi series ever to do that) - this was a Scifi -ography they did a couple of years before the new BSG aired. And the late 70's were pre CGI, and again according to Scifi cost was the reason they were cancelled.

(TheUnicornHunter @ Jul 18 2005, 07:53 PM)

proto-type: that's very persuasive bit of writing - although I'm not sure how you get that out of BSG.

Well, thank you, Unicorn Hunter...I think. 

Yes, it was a compliment of your writing.

And we all know that all fathers and sons secretly hate each other and never speak - that's realistic (my family is apparently abnormal).

Then you are a lucky duck and I truly take my hat off to you. Some of us have not been so fortunate.

All has not been perfect in my life either - but for some in my family it has been good.

And I would still like to see the stats that combine the first and second runs of each of the Friday night shows before I'll believe that BSG is really the more popular - in other words the Nielsens' only measures the first run.

Since Validus already addressed this, no need to be redundant.

These are the people that gave us Tremors the series :lol: Do they understand that people that watch the second run count too?

Such beautiful examples of how disagreements of opinion can be discussed civilly that I just had to read your replys twice. Very nice Proto-type! :roflmao:

Effusive thanks, dear sir!!!

But I do need something to fill the Sci-Fi void in my world since Trek died and of all the current choices available out there; I am beginning to believe this could be the one.

Of course you must know that in my opinion you would be doing yourself a great disservice by not jumping on this now.

Would I be totally lost if I were to watch a few new upcoming episodes? Without divulging any major spoilers* of the story so far; is there anything you could (please) tell me about the story that will help me pick up the threads? :helpsmilie:

*I wonder when season one will be coming to DVD

341625[/snapback]

Here's my solution to your dilemma.

First and foremost: Go right out and buy the New Battlestar Galactica miniseries immediately. It's exactly 3 hours and 3 minutes long and sets up everything for Season One. Not only a must see but worth it!! Eventually, when you have the time, go back and watch it with the commentary. Btw - I think it was $19.99 at Best Buy.

Then, you can go to the link below and catch up on the episode summaries from Season One and Season Two (only one has aired so far...last Friday evening, July 15th).

Battlestar Galactica Hub

Another suggestion is to Google "New Battlestar Galactica episode summaries" and there are all sorts of links, even some that you can download all Season One's episodes from and the first Season Two episode, also.

In closing, I hope you can get this under your belt before Friday evening because, as you've indicated, it would be helpful to be 'up to snuff' as Season Two unfolds. If you can't make Friday then just check at Sci-Fi.com and they have schedules for reruns of the new episode in the week following it's first air date.

Believe me, this series will go down in Sci-fi history and it would behoove you to get in on the ground floor.

Hope this helps! :yahoo:

edit: I re-read your post (one hand washes another :clap:) and realize now that you already saw the whole 2- part pilot/miniseries. Sorry I didn't catch that earlier but, still, it can't hurt to have the info posted and watching the miniseries with the commentary is still worth the price of admission.

Edited by Proto-type

I find the show very good and I do enjoy the way the battles are shown. I do think their were to many parts in the episodes with baltar and six. You all most don't need any of them to enjoy the show. IMHO it also seems that the writers of lost and battlestar get together for ideas not that the plots are the same but to me both lost and battlestar I have left me with more questions than answers. I know you have to hold something back or what would season two have but I would like to have something explained to me. All in all I would still recamend the show.

The New BSG series is ok but alittle too much drama I think has to be my substitute series since no new trek ("SG-1"-SG-A"/"BSG")but the updated series has its moments and the computer graphics on the new one are top notch however I still go for Star Buck as the Guy from the classic series and its also a good program for me to fall asleep by.

:biggrin: B) :bow: B)

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

Anyone dissing SG1 didn't see last night's ep - and they certainly handled one of the more pressing "socially relevant" issues in a much more realistic fashion than BSG, IMO.

Obviously neither BSG or SG1 are "realistic" in their portrayal of events but its their depiction of how real people would act under "fantastic" circumstances that determines their realism.

Okay, maybe having sex with people that exist only in your mind is reality for some people. And we all know that all fathers and sons secretly hate each other and never speak - that's realistic (my family is apparently abnormal). And machines that look like people - well that's realistic; TNG apparently had it all wrong with Data.

Of course everyone lies - even to the point of putting national security at risk to hide the fact that they're sleeping with some one. Politicians do anything - including killing off witnesses to get elected. Only alcholics or those with major personal demons populate this realistic society. Nobody ever smiles, nobody ever experiences happiness. If religion exists - it is new age and/or animistic. Because we all know that is the only kind of religion that exists. Just once I would like to see someone on that show that was "normal". To be honest, I have to wonder why these people are even fighting to stay alive since life is apparently such a dark miserable experience to begin with.

341153[/snapback]

I completely agree with this description. While it is possible that this is just the immediate aftermath of the shock of the devastating destruction of the various human worlds, it remains to be seen if they demonstrate the aspects of life that make life worth living: hope, creativity, caring. I can understand the war driving the fighters, I am waiting to see some kind of recovery among the civilians. maybe it is still too soon after the initial destruction. But the points TUH make about religion are also valid. Ordinarily in times like these a major source of strength would have been religious faith, but it seems to play a very small role in bearing the day to day struggles of this war. It makes things seem tough and hopeless.

Then you are a lucky duck and I truly take my hat off to you. Some of us have not been so fortunate. B)

But many have wonderful loving family relationships, with some problems, but not the disfunctional relationship that seems to plague Adama and his son. I know families other than my own with great communciation and support, in the midst of problems. I loved the relationship Adama and Apollo had in the original BG. I remember Apollo saying something like the fact that Adama was more than a father to him, that his own courage or strength rose and fell with his leadership or direction. I wish I could remember the quote. The best of the relationship I have seen in the current BG is the one where Starbuck was missing and they risked everything to get her back. Then Adama expressed love for his son, in telling him he would have never ended the search if it had been him. The spontaneous eruption of joy when Starbuck was discovered to be the pilot of the cylon ship they were about to shoot down was the most human moment in the whole series and allowed me to say, 'Oh, they are alive! They do indeed feel!' That remains the only episode I truly like (in fact I loved that episode), because of the humanity that seeped out.

If religion exists - it is new age and/or animistic. Because we all know that is the only kind of religion that exists.

Well, what about the fascinating theme of the Cylon's 'one true God' versus the more pagan polytheistic Lords of Kobol? I'm following this development with baited breath.

I believe the Cylon's religion is a completely cynical paraody of the Chrisitian faith, with Six (?) often quoting some often stated Christian saying such as 'God has a plan for your life," when everything about her is antithetical to all that is regarded as good in Chrisitianity. She began making these statements shortly after one of the early scenes in the first episode where she snapped the neck of an infant when the infant's mother turned her back for a moment, having trusted the tall blond beautiful stranger who had inquired so kindly about her child only moments before. And course the rest of it. The religion of the Cylons makes them neither good, nor gives strength of character, but serves as some twisted justification of their barbarism.

Just once I would like to see someone on that show that was "normal".

Ditto! :bow:

To be honest, I have to wonder why these people are even fighting to stay alive since life is apparently such a dark miserable experience to begin with.

Because no one chooses the alternative no matter how 'dysfunctional' they are. It's the nature of the beast.

You know, I agree with this. They do not know what else to do, so they live on. Maybe that is the only form in which 'hope' can be manifested ... continuing to breathe.

Such beautiful examples of how disagreements of opinion can be discussed civilly that I just had to read your replys twice. Very nice Proto-type! ;)

341625[/snapback]

:biggrin: B)

Ditto!!!! Reminds me of the kinds of discussions that used to pervade stf.net when I first joined. People did not agree, but the back and forth was interesting, lusty, and without bullying. There was not a cadre of people clammoring for the right to be rude to each other...just a lot of good heartfelt, sometimes heated, discussion among people who maintain a reasonable amount of mutual respect, with the help of occasional intervention.

Anyone here bought Battlestar Galactica Season 1 on DVD? I just got mine from Best Buy ($48.99) and I gotta tell you...it is amazing. It's so nice to watch the episodes without any commercials. :laugh:

Anyone dissing SG1 didn't see last night's ep - and they certainly handled one of the more pressing "socially relevant" issues in a much more realistic fashion than BSG, IMO.

Obviously neither BSG or SG1 are "realistic" in their portrayal of events but its their depiction of how real people would act under "fantastic" circumstances that determines their realism.

344548[/snapback]

I always found it impossible to get into Stargate for one simple reason: I was never a fan of the initial film by Dean Devlin, who later went on to bore us with Independence Day and the hidiously bad American "Godzilla" film. It just always seems like every episode is the same as every other episode...guys in fatigues running around with rifles shooting at crappy special effects or guys in lame make-up. What's the point?

I always found it impossible to get into Stargate for one simple reason: I was never a fan of the initial film by Dean Devlin, who later went on to bore us with Independence Day and the hidiously bad American "Godzilla" film.  It just always seems like every episode is the same as every other episode...guys in fatigues running around with rifles shooting at crappy special effects or guys in lame make-up.  What's the point?

345245[/snapback]

I think others are right - you disagree agree just to be disagreeable :laugh:

I'm surprised you didn't appreciate Dr. Jackson's anti-military arguments with O'Neill over the course of the series.

Well-

I wasn't that impressed with the same thing between Kurt Russell (an actor I usually like) and James Spader (another actor I usually like).

Don't forget...Galactica is on tonight!

Missed last week's “Fragged”. :yawn:

Firefly is good too! :yawn:

It airs right before Stargate SG-1's time-slot.

So far I'm kinda lukewarm about Firefly. I like the black chick that was in Cleopatra 2525, but I find it hard to get past that lousy opening credit sequence with the country music. Maybe I'll change my mind after a couple more episodes. I like Joss Wheadon's work (loved Buffy and Alien Resurrection).

In the last episode of Galactica the President escaped custody with the help of Lee (Apollo) Adama and Commander Adama has now arisen from his coma.

The plot(s) thicken. :yawn:

Love BSG can't get enouph it fills the Friday night void that Enterprise left.

Love the show, For onece the critics were right it is the bes show on TV :lol:

Howcum in BG they can invent starships yet they don't have the technology for energy based weapons? They still use bullets and missles.