Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Nemesis Errors

I loved Star Trek: Nemesis, so don't get me wrong, but there's a few things that bugged me.

1. Worf's uniform is red, not gold.

2. Too little Dr. Crusher.

3. Why does Data not display emotions?

4. Wesley's cameo got cut.

Now, I can exaplian away 3 of these:

1. Worf was 1st officer of the Defiant. Since his possition on the Enterprise is tactical/security, he keeps the red uniform as he also has command responsibilities. Personall, I think they goofed, but I like my explanation better. :)

2. Since this was an action movie, maybe they didn't feel Dr. Crusher had much to do in the 2nd half of the movie, beyond Data's wake?

3. Wesley's cameo will hopefully be "sneaked" back into the movie come Special Edition.

The one thing I can't explain away is Data's missing emotions.

Generations - Geordi installs Data's emotion chip, Data flips out half the time.

First Contact - Data gets scared of the Borg and turns his chip off. The Borg Queen turns it back on to take advantage of his quest to be human.

Insurrection - Data removes his emotion chip, for whatever reason, before going on the Ba'Ku mission.

Nemesis - Data has no emotions, confirmed by a deleted scene on the DVD.

So, what's the deal with Data's emotion chip?

In the novelization of Nemesis it said that the Borg Queen had fried Data's emotion chip however that of course is not canon. Maybe Data just didn't have it turned on during Nemesis.

You answered your own questions. :)

This thread is for "any" Nemesis questions, and my "Data's emotion chip" question didn't get answerred.

In the novelization of Nemesis it said that the Borg Queen had fried Data's emotion chip however that of course is not canon.  Maybe Data just didn't have it turned on during Nemesis.

Well, wha about Picard asking about it in Insurrection? Also, in a deleted scene, Picard tries to explain why people were both happy and sad at the wedding. Why didn't Data just turn it on then? :(

It does mention in the novel that his emotion chip was fried, but personally I think that was a bit of a "we'll cover up our mistake and hope none of us will notice" situation.

Long story short, it was explained away in the novel. But personally, and I know at least one Sister of mine would agree with me on this, I was very upset that he did not have the chip. I mean why drive him backwards in his evolution??? To that I will say :( :( :)

It does mention in the novel that his emotion chip was fried, but personally I think that was a bit of a "we'll cover up our mistake and hope none of us will notice" situation.

Long story short, it was explained away in the novel. But personally, and I know at least one Sister of mine would agree with me on this, I was very upset that he did not have the chip. I mean why drive him backwards in his evolution??? To that I will say :( :) :(

How was his emotion chip fried?

Long story short, it was explained away in the novel. But personally, and I know at least one Sister of mine would agree with me on this, I was very upset that he did not have the chip. I mean why drive him backwards in his evolution??? To that I will say :( :) :(

How was his emotion chip fried?

In the book, they say something about how the Borg Queen's assault on him caused an overload. Yet we all know that Geordi, said that Data did not take the chip with him to the duck blind mission in Insurrection... that is why I say that the rather bad excuse for his lack of emotions, is just that a bad excuse. Kinda "oops we forgot that he has emotions...ok here is what we do, say that his chip is fried..." Arggh! Did they think we would not notice the change????

It stinks like yesterdays diapers, she could not have 'fried' the chip, at the end of FC Data was emotional, Emotions were evident all over him when he revealed his treachery to the Queen and later, he said he 'supposed he looked better then he FELT'. Even if we over look that, when did Data become able to "remove" the chip, it was fused. :)

It stinks like yesterdays diapers, she could not have 'fried' the chip, at the end of FC Data was emotional, Emotions were evident all over him when he revealed his treachery to the Queen and later, he said he 'supposed he looked better then he FELT'. Even if we over look that, when did Data become able to "remove" the chip, it was fused. :)

Exactly, Alterego.. that is why I and quite a few others were quite peeved at this storyline in the movie/novel. Well, same thing with the whole "he did not take it with him" in Insurrection....

Could one assume that it Data simply didn't have it installed in the movie? Maybe it malfunctioned, this it needed to be repaired? I don't have a problem with him not having emotions in the movie, I just have a problem with the complete lack of explanation. :)

Perhaps the changes can be attributive to "slight alterations" in the timeline due to FC?

Nope. Insurrection is set 2 years after ST:FC, thus in the "alterred" timeline, and his emotion chip was mentioned in that movie, as well as Data seemed to show emotion when he was with Artrim, however his name is spelled, so he "should" have had it in Nemesis.

Captain, you have much info on when events occur in the Trek timeline correct? What was the first new series episode to air before and after the release of FC?

Captain, you have much info on when events occur in the Trek timeline correct? What was the first new series episode to air before and after the release of FC?

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine "Things Past" - 11/18/96

Star Trek: Voyager "Warlord" - 11/20/96

Star Trek: First Contact - 11/22/96

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine "The Ascent" - 11/25/96

Star Trek: Voyager "The Q and the Grey" - 11/27/96

I was hoping to glean clues from those episode’s to perhaps shed some light on the topic but no luck with the literature I have available to me but no such luck, thanks anyway.

Well, wha about Picard asking about it in Insurrection?  Also, in a deleted scene, Picard tries to explain why people were both happy and sad at the wedding.  Why didn't Data just turn it on then? :huh:

Data could turn his chip on, and perhaps experience those emotions, but he might not understand it. At the end of Generations, he commented that he was happy to see Spot alive and yet he was crying. He didn't seem to understand that. So, perhaps, he didn't quite understand the contrasting emotions. Remember, he's still an android, still governed by logic. Even though he can experience emotions, he might not understand why two very different emotions can be felt at the same time. It is not logical, and I can see where he could have difficulty understanding that.

I think he just had the chip off for the movie. Makes sense to me, because he just gets silly whenever his chip is on. That would interfere with his work. He probably turns it off when something serious is happening and turns it on during his off hours.

Just speculation.

Well, wha about Picard asking about it in Insurrection?  Also, in a deleted scene, Picard tries to explain why people were both happy and sad at the wedding.  Why didn't Data just turn it on then? :(

Data could turn his chip on, and perhaps experience those emotions, but he might not understand it. At the end of Generations, he commented that he was happy to see Spot alive and yet he was crying. He didn't seem to understand that. So, perhaps, he didn't quite understand the contrasting emotions. Remember, he's still an android, still governed by logic. Even though he can experience emotions, he might not understand why two very different emotions can be felt at the same time. It is not logical, and I can see where he could have difficulty understanding that.

I think he just had the chip off for the movie. Makes sense to me, because he just gets silly whenever his chip is on. That would interfere with his work. He probably turns it off when something serious is happening and turns it on during his off hours.

Just speculation.

:) That's the best explanation I ever heard! I just got the DVD yesterday and watched it today, and your explanation fits perfectly! Thanks! :( :)

Well, wha about Picard asking about it in Insurrection?  Also, in a deleted scene, Picard tries to explain why people were both happy and sad at the wedding.  Why didn't Data just turn it on then? :lol:

Just speculation.

That makes sense, Beedrill..

I remember that I read an interview with Brent Spiner that said that while John Logan was a fan of the show and had seen them all, he ahd not watched anyo f the movies ;) and did not know that Data now had emotions. :lol: Even reading this i kept wondering why Brent, who helped with the writting, did not say "Hey, buckoo, I got emotions now...can i get the girl this time?" :P

sadly, that did not happen and i have no clue as to why! the whole thing makes no sense and jsut ticks me off every time i think about it!

B)

I remember that I read an interview with Brent Spiner that said that while John Logan was a fan of the show and had seen them all, he ahd not watched anyo f the movies  ;) and did not know that Data now had emotions.  :lol:  Even reading this i kept wondering why Brent, who helped with the writting, did not say "Hey, buckoo, I got emotions now...can i get the girl this time?"  B)

sadly, that did not happen and i have no clue as to why! the whole thing makes no sense and jsut ticks me off every time i think about it!

B)

This makes no sense. Director Stewart Baird knows nothing of Trek, yet watches the movies, since he's making the 10th, to get a "Trek feel" of some sort. However, writer John Logan is a big time Trekkie... and hasn't seen the TNG movies? How hard is it to sit down on a Saturday and watch 7-9 back to back? :P

Hmmmmm, Nemesis...

Well, for a start, was the dirt-buggy scene even necessary? They could have cut that, and had more interaction between Picard and Beverly, or Data and Geordi. It would have been nice to actually have Beverly play a bigger role in Nemesis, and have her relationship with Picard explored a little, especially seeing as she was leaving. Likewise, a few happy, funny scenes between Data and Geordi would have made Data's death all the more poingant.

And what was it with Data? He goes from an emotional android in Generations, First Contact and Insurrection, to the emotionless android of the show. Why was he suddenly emotionless? His death would have much more meaning if he were still displaying emotion.

I didn't care much for the download of Data's memories to B4 either. If you're going to kill a character, don't leave such an obvious return mechanism in place. If the plan is to bring Data back, let it be a subtle thing.

Would also have been nice to see some more exchanges between Riker and Troi, and Riker and Picard. After all, if the family is being broken up, even some exchanges in the heat of battle would serve a purpose, adding to the tension, the fear of being broken up forcibly, by death.

The battle was great, and the Scimitar was clearly a titan of a warship. It was like watching a heavyweight boxing match with one figher wearing a blindfold. We saw just how tough the Enterprise's hide is.

Hmmmmm, Nemesis...

Well, for a start, was the dirt-buggy scene even necessary?  They could have cut that, and had more interaction between Picard and Beverly, or Data and Geordi.  It would have been nice to actually have Beverly play a bigger role in Nemesis, and have her relationship with Picard explored a little, especially seeing as she was leaving.  Likewise, a few happy, funny scenes between Data and Geordi would have made Data's death all the more poingant.

And what was it with Data?  He goes from an emotional android in Generations, First Contact and Insurrection, to the emotionless android of the show.  Why was he suddenly emotionless?  His death would have much more meaning if he were still displaying emotion.

I didn't care much for the download of Data's memories to B4 either.  If you're going to kill a character, don't leave such an obvious return mechanism in place.  If the plan is to bring Data back, let it be a subtle thing.

Would also have been nice to see some more exchanges between Riker and Troi, and Riker and Picard.  After all, if the family is being broken up, even some exchanges in the heat of battle would serve a purpose, adding to the tension, the fear of being broken up forcibly, by death.

The battle was great, and the Scimitar was clearly a titan of a warship.  It was like watching a heavyweight boxing match with one figher wearing a blindfold.  We saw just how tough the Enterprise's hide is.

Well, thing is, I read a post saying that John Logan hand't seen any Trek movies. Yet, the director said in an interview, that he went back and watched all of them. B)

Anywho, here's the thing.

Lack of emotions from Data - Writer's fault, however, if you use your imagination, just pretend Data had the chip turned off for the movie. He seemed emotional at the wedding. :lol:

Too much action, not enough character scenes - Director's fault, a "special edition" could fix this though. :P

Too much action, not enough character scenes - Director's fault, a "special edition" could fix this though. 

I agree!!!

I don't really care about the desert scene! I would have given him for a "friendship" scene btw Geordi and Data or a goodbye scene btw Picard and Crusher.

Or just hear Geordi say something about Data after he died...

Too much action, not enough character scenes - Director's fault, a "special edition" could fix this though. 

I agree!!!

I don't really care about the desert scene! I would have given him for a "friendship" scene btw Geordi and Data or a goodbye scene btw Picard and Crusher.

Or just hear Geordi say something about Data after he died...

You and me both. His best friend for how many years and we don't eve see him draw a heavy sigh! :laugh:

not where's the beef, where the grief!!!!!!

I do recall Geordi crying at the wake.

I'll have to watch that section again but the only one I saw/heard cry was Troi..

Look carefully.  He doesn't cry dramatically like Troi, but you can see his eyes water and his lip quiver.  You can tell he was holding back from crying.

hmmmm...